English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 August 2020, 12:27   #61
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b00toNic View Post
If a port for ocs looks nearly as good as the arcade but can only achive 25fps I'd say don't bother.

Arcade ports should run at 50fps imho.
For this game, I'd actually disagree. As long as the player itself controls at 50FPS and the timing is accurate, it doesn't really impact the game in any meaningful way if the bubbles fall/disappear at 25FPS.
Quote:
However I find that really impressive for 8bit [ Show youtube player ]
This does not run at 50FPS during all times
Old 22 August 2020, 12:28   #62
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Nice work!
However supposed you made the bubbles to be used as 3 color sprites this won't do the trick. You can only have 4 different color bubbles as sprites (every 2 sprites you need to share the same 4 color sub-palette - including one color for transparency). Under this notion there's no need/point to make them just 3 colors. Basically based on Pink's recent port a 32 color conversion could be perhaps possible and will do better justice to the game's gfx.

*edit: ups, I just missed Pink's reply on this topic and the relevant discussion. I'd agree however with roondar's point above that 50fps ain't that super important in this case

Last edited by Tsak; 22 August 2020 at 12:39.
Old 22 August 2020, 13:17   #63
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b00toNic View Post
If a port for ocs looks nearly as good as the arcade but can only achive 25fps I'd say don't bother.

Arcade ports should run at 50fps imho.

However I find that really impressive for 8bit [ Show youtube player ]
Holy sh!t is that lovely!
Old 22 August 2020, 13:28   #64
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Holy sh!t is that lovely!
Ah yes, I do have to add that as well - it is very impressive
Old 22 August 2020, 17:16   #65
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Ah yes, I do have to add that as well - it is very impressive
C64 never stops to amaze me.
Old 22 August 2020, 18:21   #66
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I don't get why people are so reluctant to use the A1200 as the stock machine and continually want to downgrade the game so they can use it on the, frankly now redundant, A500.
Maybe some people (me for instance) have no interest in coding for AGA?

I have no nostalgic memories for AGA (I had already left the Amiga scene when the 1200 was released and didn't even knew about its existence until 2007 or so), but a lot for the first OCS machines, the A1000 and A500.
Old 22 August 2020, 18:24   #67
manossg

Even though I was/am an A500 owner, I find it a pity that AGA isn't shown more love.
Old 22 August 2020, 18:52   #68
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I have no nostalgic memories for AGA (I had already left the Amiga scene when the 1200 was released and didn't even knew about its existence until 2007 or so), but a lot for the first OCS machines, the A500.
Exactly the same as me
Old 22 August 2020, 19:10   #69
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Even though I was/am an A500 owner, I find it a pity that AGA isn't shown more love.
Ok there is this feeling that Amiga was already awesome as OCS/ECS and did not got lot of games it deserves; then there is AGA that has more expectations like blow SNES and Megadrive away; when a game is barely feasible on OCS/ECS then that is the target; when a game is VERY NOT feasible on OCS/ECS then AGA is the way to go; when a game is VERY NOT feasible on both then vampire is the way to go - push boundaries like crazy!!!
Old 22 August 2020, 19:26   #70
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
...when a game is VERY NOT feasible on both then vampire is the way to go - push boundaries like crazy!!!
No thanks!
Old 22 August 2020, 19:59   #71
roondar

It's not all bad for AGA machines, there's been some really nice games out last year (including Rygar AGA, Reshoot-R, etc).

But on the topic of why less AGA games, well I guess it's because the Amiga started with OCS. It's kind of a big deal. Most commercial software was for OCS machines, most games were as well. Most users only ever had an OCS machine or perhaps an ECS machine (which tended to be used as if it was an OCS machine with a bit more memory). There's also the programmers involved, most apparently like coding more for lower end machines than higher end ones.

And I can't really blame them, there's something extremely satisfying about making the low end Amiga's do nice stuff. On AGA it's still often impressive and you can still make these machines do things that people don't expect them to, but on the other hand people also expect much more out of AGA. Having done a bit of coding for both, overall I do find coding for OCS to be nicer than AGA, both in terms of how it feels when you get something done and in terms of how elegant OCS really is. AGA feels a bit more clunky when it comes to its unique features (memory alignment restrictions suck for instance).

That said, I'm not convinced there's been that many games that truly push the unexpanded A1200 to it's limits. There are a few for sure, but a lot less than there are games of that kind for the A500.

From that perspective, perhaps any port of Puzzle Bobble should be aimed at AGA. Just to see if it's possible to get a result closer to the arcade. I'm certain that it's going to be challenging enough too if the coder decides to run it in 256 colours.
Old 22 August 2020, 20:39   #72
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
No thanks!
Well i mean games like Playstation or saturn style that a regular amiga cannot handle usually
Old 22 August 2020, 20:50   #73
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Maybe some people (me for instance) have no interest in coding for AGA?

I have no nostalgic memories for AGA (I had already left the Amiga scene when the 1200 was released and didn't even knew about its existence until 2007 or so), but a lot for the first OCS machines, the A1000 and A500.
All my nostalgia memories are for A500/demo scene. I did get an A1200 and used it for many years to get on the internet, and I still own it, but it holds zero nostalgia points for me. And the brief time I tried programming it I hated the bodge that was AGA. So I completely understand why it gets no love.
Old 22 August 2020, 20:56   #74
lmimmfn

I had an A500 and loved it, later bought an A1200, honestly i have more nostalgia for my A1200 which i still own, simply because while i had my A500 for 3-4 years ive had my A1200 for 28 years.

On topic, i dont see why both versions arent possible, OCS and AGA. For OCS, i dont understand why it needs to be arcade perfect, the C64 version is proof of that. The gameplay itself is fun without all the bells/whistles and colours.
Old 22 August 2020, 21:02   #75
dreadnought

Quote:
Well i mean games like Playstation or saturn style that a regular amiga cannot handle usually
And now we're leaving "bedroom" coding zone and moving into a "2 floors of an office block" one
Old 22 August 2020, 21:04   #76
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
I had an A500 and loved it, later bought an A1200, honestly i have more nostalgia for my A1200 which i still own, simply because while i had my A500 for 3-4 years ive had my A1200 for 28 years.

On topic, i dont see why both versions arent possible, OCS and AGA. For OCS, i dont understand why it needs to be arcade perfect, the C64 version is proof of that. The gameplay itself is fun without all the bells/whistles and colours.
Out of interest what age did you have the 500? Apparently the music you listened to when 14/15 stays with you for life. My A500 was 15 so I think it’s a similar reaction
Old 22 August 2020, 21:17   #77
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Nice work!
However supposed you made the bubbles to be used as 3 color sprites this won't do the trick. You can only have 4 different color bubbles as sprites (every 2 sprites you need to share the same 4 color sub-palette - including one color for transparency).

ok it would look like this

Old 22 August 2020, 21:40   #78
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Again, no thanks!
Old 23 August 2020, 00:27   #79
Foebane
Banned

Sorry, but AGA has TRANSFORMED the Amiga Demoscene, without it, much of my demo collection would not even exist, and they blow the competition away, even much of the MS-DOS stuff!

But no, to most, the Amiga is a games machine. Not to me, no siree!
Old 23 August 2020, 09:48   #80
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
It's not all bad for AGA machines, there's been some really nice games out last year (including Rygar AGA, Reshoot-R, etc).

But on the topic of why less AGA games, well I guess it's because the Amiga started with OCS.
I think this is a bit of a skewed impression that surprises me whenever I read this, to be honest.

Most of the "bigger" game development that is going on at the moment is happening on AGA.

Whether all the games McGeezer (exception Bomb Jack) and Richard Löwenstein code, plus upcoming titles like Super Metal Hero and Boss Machine are all AGA.

On OCS, I see P!nk with his tiny games, Metro Siege and my Inviyya. And that's it.

You can hardly say that AGA gets no love. It's very even between it and OCS.