English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 August 2018, 04:31   #41
Neil

Anyone that has ordered one recently: did it still come with the IDE/CF adapter? Maybe this is a question for @Sordan (I sent them an email this weekend).

Looks like it should, but does anyone know 100% if it will work with an Amiga 2000?
Old 20 August 2018, 21:44   #42
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

According to his last post on Facebook:

Quote:
There is a free shipping worldwide for them tracked + insurance for 150 EUR (choose during checkout shipping to Ireland and system will add 0% for shipping cost), also each turbo card comes with a free IDE-CF adapter which is recommended to use with HC533 and it does not need additional power source to use CF card as a hard drive.
Old 21 August 2018, 11:37   #43
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

But he said otherwise on AmiBay when I was looking to buy
Old 21 August 2018, 12:28   #44
Paulee_Bow

Some time ago, I had asked Peter at Sordan specifically if the HC533 came with a free IDE/CF adaptor, this was just before I put down the money.

He replied:

“No. But I will send you one for free anyway

So that’s confusing as hell, but anyhow, I got the IDE adaptor free with my card so never really questioned his confusing reply, lol.
Old 21 August 2018, 13:46   #45
Jope
-

I believe this is just salesmanship. :-) Do what it takes to close the deal. Now that you mentioned it publically here on the forum, it might be that others won't necessarily get them. :-)
Old 21 August 2018, 14:41   #46
Paulee_Bow

Oh crap. Sorry.
Old 21 August 2018, 14:43   #47
Paulee_Bow

You do get a free pen which says “Sordan, Cheap Electronics Shop” on it though.
I like free pens.
Old 23 August 2018, 03:16   #48
Neil

I ordered one, and Sordan answered my question about the CF reader. My lips are sealed about whether they're included or not

They weren't sure about A2000 compatibility.

According to the Big Book of Amiga Hardware: http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...t.aspx?id=2058

*Due to the nature of the board's in-68K socket AutoConfig solution, do not expect to operate any units off the A500 or A1000 86-pin expansion slot which provides AutoConfig to expansion units. The unit otherwise provides most features desired by users with stock 68K-based machines. The board functions in A2000's on it's own, but the AutoConfig expansion card issue still applies.

So, I'm interpreting that it will work, but any cards plugged in are blocked.
Old 04 September 2018, 12:50   #49
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I ordered one, and Sordan answered my question about the CF reader. My lips are sealed about whether they're included or not

They weren't sure about A2000 compatibility.

According to the Big Book of Amiga Hardware: http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...t.aspx?id=2058

*Due to the nature of the board's in-68K socket AutoConfig solution, do not expect to operate any units off the A500 or A1000 86-pin expansion slot which provides AutoConfig to expansion units. The unit otherwise provides most features desired by users with stock 68K-based machines. The board functions in A2000's on it's own, but the AutoConfig expansion card issue still applies.

So, I'm interpreting that it will work, but any cards plugged in are blocked.
Yeah, thing is, from what I can gather...the HC533 boots a ROM (called Oktapussy?) that enables the onboard IDE...it does this before the Kickstart ROM gets a chance to boot (I see a very quick white and black flash) and I’m thinking that it’s this preliminary ROM that messes up Autoconfig, by hogging all the limelight, lol.

Perhaps an A2000 version without IDE could be created at some point...being that this would be a great cheap option for the machine, and the 2000 has loads of IDE and SCSI options already.
Old 05 September 2018, 17:20   #50
Neil

I have a GVP 030 accelerator/SCSI/memory card in the A2000 and was thinking of simplifying things by using this instead. My SCSI hard drives are old and loud and probably on their last legs and all I read about are issues with configuring SCSI2SD. I don't want to kill my Zoro slots on the A2000 though and decided to use the HC533 accelerator in my A500.

It showed my CF in WB 1.3 but I didn't want to mess with multiple 1gb partitions and jumper settings on the accelerator.

Vast improvement in speed:

I swapped ROM to 3.1 and it booted right up with the CF card.

So far compatibility has been very good and with 3.1 its as close to plug and play as you can get.
Old 03 October 2018, 12:52   #51
technomancer

Anyone dared to play with OC2, OC1 an SJ1 jumpers/blobs?
Old 11 October 2018, 09:00   #52
Paulee_Bow

No way! I assume they’re just different ways of getting the IDE to work, in ROM.
Old 11 October 2018, 22:28   #53
project23
Used Register

If it works, it works, but FYI this link shows that the MC68HC000FN changed to the MC68HC000EI with lower lead content in 2004, and this link shows the MC68HC000EI went EOL in 2010 (last orders) with last ship date 2011.

The ebay link shows a 2012 date code. Another counterfeit CPU.

Dont let this put you off! If it works it works! But clearly this counterfeit legacy CPU problem is absolutely huge. There should be no FN16 after 2004, let alone 2010.

John
Old 12 October 2018, 12:05   #54
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
this counterfeit legacy CPU problem is absolutely huge.
They probably aren't 'counterfeit', just used chips that have been refurbished to look new. Only problem is sometimes they misread the original part number and you get a completely different chip (my first eBay 'vintage IC' purchase was some 2114 Static RAM chips that didn't act anything like RAM. I eventually figured out they were LED drivers with a very similar part number).

Hopefully the Chinese recyclers will eventually realize that an obviously second-hand chip with original markings is a lot more valuable to us. The silly thing is they could probably save a lot of time and effort by just being honest and selling the chips in original condition. Relabeled ICs need to be carefully tested before putting into equipment they might damage, which then wastes our time as well. This makes higher priced original chips more attractive, and the 'counterfeiters' lose sales!
Old 12 October 2018, 13:49   #55
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
They probably aren't 'counterfeit', just used chips that have been refurbished to look new. Only problem is sometimes they misread the original part number and you get a completely different chip (my first eBay 'vintage IC' purchase was some 2114 Static RAM chips that didn't act anything like RAM. I eventually figured out they were LED drivers with a very similar part number).

Hopefully the Chinese recyclers will eventually realize that an obviously second-hand chip with original markings is a lot more valuable to us. The silly thing is they could probably save a lot of time and effort by just being honest and selling the chips in original condition. Relabeled ICs need to be carefully tested before putting into equipment they might damage, which then wastes our time as well. This makes higher priced original chips more attractive, and the 'counterfeiters' lose sales!
If you're interested at all, then this page has some pretty incredible information about the process of counterfeiting the chips. They basically sand off the tops like you say but not so they can make them look like new. They ramp up the speed written on the new tops, and often the date to a newer date. In some economically justifiable cases they actually remove the die from the chip and repackage it completely - they've done this recently with expensive Intel chips.

Anyway (for the mods!), i'm not derailing another thread, so that'll my last word on that. Back to topic at hand!

John
Old 04 December 2018, 22:17   #56
lukzer

Little upgrade [ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 December 2018, 22:54   #57
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukzer View Post
Niiice! What's the ETA? Does it just clip on the 68000?
Old 15 February 2019, 12:36   #58
PaW2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukzer View Post

Hi, yesterday i bought a HC533 on ebay to use in my A500+, now i wait with passion for it

I just wonder if the ec020 add on will be avalible for sale ? Any how i would be very interested in buying one.
Old 18 February 2019, 07:39   #59
watman

Did anyone try HC533 with two IDE devices? Tempted to go 'ACA500+esque' second CF adapter for easier data swap, but even the card creator Lukzer was not sure if it would work
Old 25 February 2019, 00:06   #60
PaW2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by watman View Post
Did anyone try HC533 with two IDE devices? Tempted to go 'ACA500+esque' second CF adapter for easier data swap, but even the card creator Lukzer was not sure if it would work
I will try very soon, very happy with the card so far, will try with the trueIDE with 2 cards in it, let you know how it goes, with a bit of luck the trueIDE will arrive tomorrow.