English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 07 July 2001, 18:37   #1
Drake1009

Diggers 2?

Ok I know that I didn't make sure that it even existed on the Amiga like it was advised in the announcement and I'm very sorry for that.

I have Diggers on the Amiga which I like a lot. I also have it on the PC. Another thing I have on the PC is Diggers 2 which seems to be a demo version though as there is only level one and a tutorial level the rest of the files are missing.

Well anyway, I think Diggers 2 is much better than the first game since the controls have been made much easier and you have more opertunities. The PC version of number 1 looks very similar to the sequel which leads me to believe that they followed closely and thus there might be hope that Diggers 2 also appeared on the Amiga.

Could anyone tell me if this is just wishful thinking or if it does exist? And if it does, where I might hope to find it?
Old 07 July 2001, 19:55   #2
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

diggers 2

Diggers 2 was never finished or released on the amiga despite reviews in magazines (presumably based on the finished pc version). But I've got a feeling a beta version might surface soon....

; )
Old 07 July 2001, 20:10   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Extractors

Diggers 2 was called Extractors and was to be released on the CD32. I think the magazines got review copies...
Old 07 July 2001, 20:20   #4
Drake1009

That's right. It was extractors. Thanks Cody. Now I just need to look for it.

Well using the magical google I met information which counteracted other information.

In one page it was marked as released in 1995, on another page it was said that it was never released. I'm afraid it's the latter part though.

Last edited by Drake1009; 07 July 2001 at 20:25.
Old 08 July 2001, 22:53   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

Unhappy Seems as though ...

... It doesn't work past the intro, I get it to the part with like a big message board, it fades to black and then nothing

Heyho maybe it works on a real A1200

Also to boot straight from HD you nead to rename the Startup_sequence in the S directory to Startup-sequence a subtle differnce I know, but you need to change the underscore (_) for a dash (-)
Old 09 July 2001, 01:46   #6
Drake1009

Ian, I tried copying it to my unmodified A1200. It starts up there, maybe becasue I already had the libraries and programs from the C and LIBS dirs installed (Well most anyway). I can get as far as to the main menu from there, but somehow I can't start the game. The fire button doesn't register I guess you would need a multi button joystick for it to work.

I pressed some random buttons and I think I might have it a substitution button for 2nd fire, because the screen blacked out and then gave me a guru error.

Ok I plugged in my dying and only 2 button joystick. That made a difference. Now when I press the start button I go back to workbench. I'm guessing an assign undone.

Anyway I removed it again which took longer than installing it since all files were delete protected and I don't know how to either change attributes of many files at once or deleting and ignoring the problem, so I had to go through all subdirs and chose information on all files to add the Deleteable attribute to all files.

Last edited by Drake1009; 09 July 2001 at 02:15.
Old 09 July 2001, 02:12   #7
Ian
Global Moderator

Unhappy Shame

I don't have a real Amiga so I couldn't check myself, sounds as though it gets further than through WinUAE though. Another option may be that the game was planned for CD32, if someone has one of these marvelous (Tounge firmly in cheek) machines and a spare/unneeded CD-R just lying around, maybe they could try that. If not we'll have to wait for the PC version (Nudge Nudge Warlock99) or the original programmer to finish his work for us (Yeah, as if)

Side Note: Warlock99, do you know if this was the final beta completed, or is there a chance of a more complete version surfacing somewhere down the line?? I'm not suggesting you have one, just wondering
Old 09 July 2001, 02:18   #8
Drake1009

Ian charge : If not we'll have to wait for the PC version

did that ever get finished. I've been searching the net for a while looking for that game even before I got my Amiga, and it's just impossible to find a good version of it. All versions I have found have 2 level files, the Amiga had the same name level files but had considerably more level files than the PC versions I've found.

I don't know, I would just like to play the entire game once.
Old 09 July 2001, 02:26   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by warlock99
I think it's just over a year ago when I started the site, not bad for an obscure game site!

Diggers 2 is now available on the site, but only as a very early beta, I'm not sure if it's playable at this point. I may upload the pc version at some point.
I direct you attention to the second paragraph Drake1009, we can only hope, Warlock99's time and web space allowing, that he uploads it.

Maybe someone should start a poll or something, so that Warlock99 can get an idea of whether if it's worth it or not. As it wouldn't really be fair expecting him to upload it just for the 2 us.
Old 09 July 2001, 02:52   #10
Drake1009

Ian : I direct you attention to the second paragraph Drake1009, we can only hope, Warlock99's time and web space allowing, that he uploads it.

Yes I know what it said in the second paragraph, but the question is. Is he sure that it's the full PC version and not the same 2 level one which is the only thing I've been able to come up with. I sure hope it isn't if he uploads the game.
Old 09 July 2001, 03:18   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

Click THIS link for a full CD Rip version, allegedly.

If direct link to game doen't work click HERE and find the game using the search or alphabet options.

Haven't checked if it's the full version you crave so much as I'm still d/l it, who knows, if I can be bothered I might tell you after I try it

Update: I looks to me that this version is the full version, which was released I might add. I cannot say for sure for two reasons, the first being that it runs too fast on my 366mhz computer and second I am crap at it because of the different control system from Diggers 1

Last edited by Ian; 09 July 2001 at 03:43.
Old 09 July 2001, 08:36   #12
Warlock99

nathan never

Thanks twistin, I'll reupload "Nathan never" soon!

A thought has occurred to me about the diggers 2. If the startup-sequence was incorrectly named then it sounds like a conversion error from amiga to pc. Could that have happened when i converted it to a zip?

This could have happened with other files too meaning that when the program goes to find something it wouldn't be able to because of an incorrect filename.

I spoke to Toby Simpson quite a while back. I must admit I originally planned to post this on the site about a year ago but with my fathers illness, it became less important and slipped my mind. I contacted Toby Simpson who was amazed that I had any copy of it, he thought he was the only one with anything to do with it. At the time he said that if I could get him an amiga he would try to compile the version he had. He gave me his phone number to contact him but I was a bit wary of doing this at the time. But he did say that he would like to see his game available. It's been a long time but maybe I should contact him again.

Last edited by Warlock99; 09 July 2001 at 08:46.
Old 09 July 2001, 08:49   #13
Warlock99

Diggers 2

I'll probably upload my diggers 2 pc at some point anyway, just so that you can play it. I haven't played it enough to know if it's the full version but I think so. Tell me if the one you linked to is or not.
Old 09 July 2001, 13:33   #14
Drake1009

Ian. I've already tried that version, and if you look for level files you'll find two (2) files and that's all. Either all the levels are compiled or it's a bad CD rip. On the CD32 version Warlock uploaded there were level files named somewhat the same, but with plenty more level files.

I had that version for a long time and I've completed the first level a couple of times at which point it quits complaining about missing files.

But if it's too fast then I guess I should just say "Never mind it" then since Moslo is the best slow down util for the PC I've found and it's not at all good.

I just tried the version at the underdogs again. On my PIII 533 it runs just fine. Problem was upon complesion of level one I was dumped back into DOS with a missing file message.

Unless there is some archive to unpack after having unpacked it there is either missing files or references to non-esistant files.

Last edited by Drake1009; 09 July 2001 at 15:03.
Old 12 July 2001, 18:39   #15
Warlock99

moslo

I had a utility I got with gabriel knight, that's a windows based utility which seemed quite good. I'll dig it out if you're interested.
Old 12 July 2001, 18:56   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

Thanks Warlock99, anything that may help playing these old PC games will be greatly appericated, by me anyway
Old 12 July 2001, 20:19   #17
RCK
Administrator

Tips: in order the PC version works well, you must install it to "c:\Xtractor".

Or you will have problem to launch it.
Old 12 July 2001, 20:56   #18
Drake1009

Not nescesarily C:\Extractor, I installed it on my D drive and it worked from there except for the fact that it crashed with a missing file when I completed the first level. No speed problems though.
Old 12 July 2001, 21:14   #19
RCK
Administrator

for me, he was unable to find the sound files when it was not in "c:\Xtractor".

it was just a tips
Old 13 July 2001, 00:00   #20
Drake1009

Well thanks for mentioning it RCK.

I could try to move it and see if it works better that way. Never got the sound to work, but on the rip info it did say that the sound sucked so I figured they removed it completely.