English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 April 2005, 01:37   #1
Martin_L

Newer Amiga1200HD ?

Are these newer Amiga Magic A1200HD from escom cruddy?
I heard that theyre not very well built, is this true?

Martin
Old 02 April 2005, 04:33   #2
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The floppy doesn't work well with games I think
Old 02 April 2005, 05:21   #3
woody57

Happy I have a Escom Badged 1200

Except for floppy problems Unknown K mentions they were built using the last revised boards so they are compatable to ALL newer expansion cards and don't have the problem of larger amounts of RAM [over 8mb] disabling the pcmia port which if your planning to run a network card is essential , older board revisions have a limitation.

If you mean do these machines fall apart while your using them ? well the answer has to be it would depend how you treat them , since any computor with a built in Keyboard is prone to the inevitable worn letters stuck keys etc .

However I have a question for you Martin-L you consistently ask question about various hardware setups or combo's including the A1 , is it that your looking to build a " Super migggy" with the " Newest " available reliable parts or are you looking to see if the EMU route with its cheap and easily replaced hardware is the better option?

Pardon me for being curious but I am an OLD Git with little todo but read through posts

Last edited by woody57; 02 April 2005 at 05:28.
Old 02 April 2005, 05:54   #4
Martin_L

thanks for the info

Yeah I am asking a lot of questions. Basicly I want an A1 but I can afford it right now.
Ive got a couple of Classics but they knackered, since I love the classic games ive decided to get a new A1200 with a HD, 3.1 ROMs, CD drive and OS3.9 and accelerator if i can, whilst spending as little money as possible.

Im sure ill be asking many more questions!
Old 02 April 2005, 06:03   #5
woody57

Since your planning on using a cd drive why not get a burner since they are cheap enough now and it means you don't have to back up everything on your HD alone .

3.9 comes with its own licensed tcp stack so its full time internet ready and only worth adding once you have a networkcard via pcmia and a decent amount of ram [over 16 mb 32mb+ if you plan to browse a lot ]

As you can now get registration for free on the IDE97driver[see other thread] there lies the best path for EZ file transfers between PC and miggy as CD's are only about 30p each blank [ a lot cheaper than floppies] and a lot quicker than networking { and less hassle IMHO]

Good luck
Old 02 April 2005, 06:22   #6
Martin_L

So what kinda of cd drive can i use on an A1200? i want something very very cheap

I dont plan to use the Amiga to network right now, maybe in the future.

I was thinking i could download games onto my Mac burn them onto cd and then put them on my Amiga HD and play them from that.
this is do-able right?
Old 02 April 2005, 06:50   #7
woody57

Any ide type EVEN literon that you can pickup for £12 from pc world a burner for £26 , obviously it means adding a 4 way or through 2.5HD ide splitter to your mobo and if you want to keep it simple you can steal a power feed from the 1200,s floppy drive [ just remember to follow the advice about upgraded or cooled power units] and you should be fine without the need to tower

If you can put up with the odd conector and cable outside the machine its all you will need

An amiga conected CD drive reads better than pc drives as it WILL allow you to open and transfer files from partially damaged CD disks so the only thing you have to think about is makig sure your Miggy can RECOGNISE the file types you burn to disk [but as an old miggy user you know that its worth having a simple gui decompresion utility avail from aminet to un-lha ,unzip etc those files as well ]

So yes your Mac can be used as a one way burner to miggy but they are just so cheap its easier to find one of them than a single purpose CD drive .

And of course its easier to move large files back to the MAC than rigging your HD to it
Old 02 April 2005, 06:56   #8
Martin_L

one word... what? lol, Im so out of date with the whole amiga scene not much of that made any sence (plus its 6am, cant sleep)

ok so any standard cd drive would work with a certain cable thing?

so what kinda files will run from the hard drive? iha's? WHD?

is 3.9 a good choice for retro gaming?

(sorry for being such a dunce)
Old 02 April 2005, 07:22   #9
woody57

Eek Time for you to go bACK TO SCHOOL

You obviously NEVER read or bought an Amiga magazinefor its technical info , instead you were a GAMESMASTER

Well its time for you Martin to achieve your dreams and get a FREE Univercity course ON ALL things AMIGA www.amigau.com

Your NEVER to OLD to learn and I still am so its home work time for you have fun

Old 02 April 2005, 07:26   #10
Martin_L

yeah its true, but im only 21 so when i had my amiga's working i was but a weee kiddy and a dumb one at that! so there :P

amiga uni seem to be down right now, ill try later.
thanks for helping a dunce
Old 02 April 2005, 08:08   #11
woody57

Ok if you still have problems the this linkk http://cciinter.net/users/amigasource/

Has links to ALL Amiga subjects , Now ok its owner has been updating a new version for over a year BUT most of the links are still good have fun
Old 02 April 2005, 13:05   #12
Martin_L

thanks
Old 02 April 2005, 19:14   #13
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshed57
so they are compatable to ALL newer expansion cards and don't have the problem of larger amounts of RAM [over 8mb] disabling the pcmia port which if your planning to run a network card is essential , older board revisions have a limitation.
Sorry but my escom A1200 had still got that limitation. And if I know the Amiga memory map correctly all A1200's have this limitation. It is those cheap acccelerators that map their fast ram over the PCMCIA region. Better accelerators map the fastram higher in the memory map leaving the PCMCIA free. It has nothing to do with boardrevision.
Old 02 April 2005, 19:46   #14
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
My phase5 blizzard 030/50 works fine with a pcmcia network card, so that must be one of the good ones.
Old 02 April 2005, 21:37   #15
Martin_L

will i need so add anything extra to my mobo to have a CD drive?
Old 02 April 2005, 22:34   #16
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_L
will i need so add anything extra to my mobo to have a CD drive?
Well if the mobo only has one ide connector, then you can buy a ide splitter thing (enter Woodshed)

An easier option is I think to buy a IDE cable with more 3 or four connectors onto it. So you can use more than one IDE device. These are easily aqquirable (that last word is spelt wrong i no it!) of Ebay etc.

Im not posative though. Wooshed, shed some light!

Im not up with new fangeled Magic A1200's
Old 02 April 2005, 22:46   #17
woody57

Excuse my impatience Martin L but you have already been given that information several times this link to an article on the amigas NON standard IDE interface and cd machines it was NOT hard to find.http://premium1.uploadit.org/woodshe...ILDTOWER_2.jpg

I am NOT pasting directly into the page to save OTHER readers bandwidth , but sincerely understand that if you continue to ask the SAME questions over & over , when you are suplied with MORE than adequate answers in each thread you start then you can hardly expect board members to show you patience.

Many of the things you ask about are already WELL covered by previous posts and can be found by using the EAB search engine to find them.

Also the amiga source link I gave you has an even larger database of knoledge and even has links containing all the hacks [ do -it -yourself tips] for more ways to solve problems.

If you are still struggling to comprehend the information you have been given then perhaps you are better looking for a ready built solution as itseems you REALY want a killer Amiga games machine and perhaps to avoid all this confusion you are better sticking to EMULATION
Old 02 April 2005, 23:15   #18
lloyd
Mehh :D

way to go Mr Woody! Hey, reckon you should be a mod!
Old 02 April 2005, 23:41   #19
Martin_L

sorry as a complete noob i have no idea what im looking for even if you gave me links to find stuff or when I do search, im not sure what the hell im looking at! theres so many different options and configs, surely its not hard to understand that im getting a more than little confused. its not like ive ever had any experience building a pc or anything like that. im a graphic designer not computer hardware savvy

btw: thanks smiley

Ill stop asking stupid questions, sorry, thought this place was friendly.

lloyd, grow up

Last edited by Martin_L; 03 April 2005 at 00:42.
Old 03 April 2005, 12:52   #20
Martin_L

no-one wants to reply to that?