English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 March 2003, 01:32   #1
Djay
95th User

I Give UP!!!

Hmmm.... NOW i'm stressed...

i've spent most of this evening trying to get my Ami<>PC network running (via Parallel) (PC running XP Pro)

I've...

changed the cable
got latest version of the mount software (ami)
change my parallel port settings, tried 4 settings (pc)
tried running all versions of PC2amiga [at the sametime in some cases] (pc)
tried running on A1200 & A600 (just in case of dead parallel port)
banging my head against a brick wall

so, unless someone comes up with a solution...

I'M KNACKERED!!
Old 13 March 2003, 04:30   #2
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
If you figure it out let me know, I am going to try getting amiga explorer to work via PCMCIA network.. thats going to be a pain.
Old 13 March 2003, 08:12   #3
kriz

why not run ftp , very easy method to share files amiga/pc , setting up the pcmcia network shouldnt be hard (normal tcp/ip network)...
Old 13 March 2003, 08:54   #4
Amigaboy

I don't know why people don't use the same method as me. It's simple and always (?) works

I have a serial cable connected to my PC and to my Amiga.
On the PC side, I run a terminal program, CRT, although any will do
On the Amiga side, I run a terminal program, NComm. Once again, any will do
I set both sides to use 115200 speeds and to use a ZModem protocol (although 115200 will report alot of errors during transmission, these errors will be corrected and the files will work fine....the same principle is used on the net with TCP/IP)
From there, I tell the machines to connect to each other. To confirm that they're connected, type on the PC. If it comes up on the Amiga, it works. Do the same on the Amiga.

I then do a ZModem upload on whichever machine is going to send the files. On the other end, I tell it to download (NComm on the Amiga is smart. It automagically detects and begins downloading by itself). That's it. It's simple

Since I'm using a serial cable, it's slower. This method should work with better speeds with a parallel cable.

Old 13 March 2003, 09:04   #5
Walker

@Djay
If the file transfer gear is supposed to be used for CAPS dumping, TCP/IP is out of the question, but maybe you're setting this up for general use...?

If you don't want to spend any money on a PCMCIA card, Amigaboy's method should work fine (unless there's something wrong with your cable or port).
Old 13 March 2003, 09:10   #6
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
I don't know why people don't use the same method as me. It's simple and always (?) works

I set both sides to use 115200 speeds and to use a ZModem protocol (although 115200 will report alot of errors during transmission, these errors will be corrected and the files will work fine....the same principle is used on the net with TCP/IP)
From there, I tell the machines to connect to each other. To confirm that they're connected, type on the PC. If it comes up on the Amiga, it works. Do the same on the Amiga.

I then do a ZModem upload on whichever machine is going to send the files. On the other end, I tell it to download (NComm on the Amiga is smart. It automagically detects and begins downloading by itself). That's it. It's simple

Since I'm using a serial cable, it's slower. This method should work with better speeds with a parallel cable.
Well at the moment I am using a null modem cable and amiga explorer from Amiga Forever.

The thing is on both the A500 and A1200 the fastest speed that both the PC and the Amiga have in comon under serial settings is 19200 baud and this is slow. PC has Win2k, Amiga is OS/ROM 3.0

I love the explorer program because all I have to do is drop the adf to the df1 icon and put a blank DD disk in the drive and the program recreates the disk. Can dump to HD or wherever on the machine also.

I know the software will use a network connection if one is detected I just never had a pcmcia modem setup on my A1200 yet and am not too familiar with the setup procedure on the amiga side. The card is ne2000 compatible (from the cnet list anyway) and is 10/100 speed.
Old 13 March 2003, 09:16   #7
Amigaboy

ack! Silly me. I called it "serial cable" when the correct term is "null modem cable"...I thought there was something wrong with my reply

Anyway, It's been a while, so I won't quote how fast the A1200's Serial port is. My A1200 is 030 accelerated, so I'm guessing that's why I can use speeds of 115200.
If you're unsure of speed, start at the highest available and progressively go down until you got a fully working transfer.

Old 13 March 2003, 10:02   #8
Unknown_K

Quote:
ack! Silly me. I called it "serial cable" when the correct term is "null modem cable"...I thought there was something wrong with my reply

Anyway, It's been a while, so I won't quote how fast the A1200's Serial port is. My A1200 is 030 accelerated, so I'm guessing that's why I can use speeds of 115200.
If you're unsure of speed, start at the highest available and progressively go down until you got a fully working transfer.
Your terminal program might have the 115200 but is the transfer going anyway near that fast? last time I checked the preferences setting for the serial port it didnt go anywhere near that high. There was one setting higher but the PC side didnt support it (both sides have to be the same setting).

Takes me about 3 minutes to turn an adf into a real disk at 19.2Kb
Old 13 March 2003, 10:12   #9
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Your terminal program might have the 115200 but is the transfer going anyway near that fast?
Yep. 100% sure of it

Old 13 March 2003, 14:58   #10
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:

I set both sides to use 115200 speeds and to use a ZModem protocol
I do use this same method .. I actually said all this to DJay on the IRC chan when he posted the msg to this forum, But i didnt have the knowledge of where to find NComm n such to hand because mine has been installed on my A1200 since back in the day of using BBS's (and also coz it was 1 in the morning and we was both off to bed (NOT the same bed i must quickly add here ).

Is NComm available on Aminet .. i bet it is but i cant check atm.

And i also do use 115200 on a unaccellerated A1200 just fine.
Old 13 March 2003, 16:00   #11
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_0rga5m
Is NComm available on Aminet
Yep.
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/c...m/ncomm306.lha

And also on Aminet, the keyfile for it
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/c...m306PubKey.lha

Old 13 March 2003, 17:05   #12
IFW

I'm going to try pc2amiga on XPPro maybe I will encounter the same problems and hopefully I can post a fix for them...
Old 10 October 2003, 12:18   #13
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
sorry to dig up an old thread (did a search)

having horrible problems with network PC (comes with a parellel cable), i tried this 'easy' method

It sounds really easy, but with terminal software (even got same software -VanDykes's CRT 4.1b23 +4.0), there is no parallel selctor! Its serial-COM1-50 or rlogin,telnet, or TAPI (modem)

???? so therefore am I right in saying you cant do terminal zuploads with parellels?
Old 10 October 2003, 13:51   #14
manicx

Matey, the problem is with winXP. I had the very same problems and here's what I did.

-Booted with a win98 disk
-Used NTFSDos to be able to access my NTFS partition from DOS
-Used PC2Amiga software with a parallel cable through pure dos mode.

Keep in mind that NTFSDos is a commercial program. This way, I went around winXP to solve my problem.
Old 10 October 2003, 18:30   #15
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Interesting.. Wonder if there is any linux/unix binaries of any kind - that would be great - another opportunity to try and dump windows altogether (hah!)
Old 10 October 2003, 21:59   #16
Amiga1992

As I said before Twin Express came with unix binaries but it seem, according to Creosote, that they dont come anymore with teh distro. I will have a look at home, it's all a mes and I cant finda bloody thing :P
Old 11 October 2003, 05:50   #17
adolescent