English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 January 2017, 09:38   #1
Foebane
Banned

Use file requester to specify path in Shell?

I discovered a while ago that the Shell in Workbench allows you to specify an executable using the "Complete/Filename" menu option which brings up a file requester, saving all that typing. BUT, is there a way to do it for paths? I can sort of do it by typing "cd " at the CLI and then using "Complete/Filename" and simply selecting a folder and then add a closing bracket and it works, but is there a more elegant solution?
Old 01 January 2017, 11:21   #2
daxb

What Shell you are using? As far as I know the default OS3 Shell doens`t have filename completion. Shells (e.g. KingCON or VincEd) with filename completion also include directories. I.e. you can "build" a complete/full path. The usual way is to just press TAB key for completion. Details how it works should give the Shell manual.
Old 01 January 2017, 12:22   #3
Locutus

Indeed, use KingCON its better in every possible way.
Old 01 January 2017, 12:35   #4
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Indeed, use KingCON its better in every possible way.
It seems I'm already using KingCON v1.3!

Let me clarify: I am using the Cloanto Amiga Forever Workbench install for the A4000, and when it starts up it has a row of icons along the bottom, part of an app called "TM", and one of them is marked "Shell" - it turns out that this is KingCon 1.3 (which I didn't know about) and that I seem to have already figured out how to use it! Did I do it right, as I described in my OP?

Also tried out the Tab key, and it does help a lot! BTW, does the standard Shell for Workbench have this feature?
Old 01 January 2017, 14:50   #5
daxb

First, you might want to update to KingCON 1.8 (see Aminet).

You can experiment with the TAB file/dir completion to find out how it works but maybe it is better to have look at KingCON guide. There is a whole chapter about xx-completion. The window with a list of files/dirs is just a feature (default setting). The normal/better/quicker way is the direct way with TAB and no window. However, KingCON has several options that handle the behaviour. Set it to what you like.

OS3.1 Shell is very limited and hence no xx-completion.
Old 01 January 2017, 15:32   #6
jPV

Although there isn't traditional autocomplete function in the standard system shell, you can get round it in several ways... amiga shell is more versatile than many think

Couple options which came in my mind with first thought:

1) cd `requestfile`
This will open a file requester and after you have selected a path in it, it will cd into it. Be sure you write correct kind of apostrophes there. If you want to make shorter/easier command for it, you could add a shell alias for it, for example to get it work just by typing "cdr" (you have to escape the apostrophes to get it done): alias cdr "cd *`requestfile*`"

2) You can use wildcards in the directory names. For example if you have a directory "MyHorriblyLongAndBoringToWriteDirectory3", you can cd into it just by typing "cd my#?" or "cd #?boring#?" or "cd #?3" etc (without quotation marks of course).

Last edited by jPV; 01 January 2017 at 16:00.