Mostly a gamepad, but sometimes a joystick 12 16.90%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 August 2007, 05:27   #1
laser
Banned

Joystick vs. Gamepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
What you are talking about, of course the Competition Pro is a good and very precise stick. Sure, the first USB PC remake from 2004/2005 sucks, because they used cheap micro-switches. But the second PC revision and the new Amiga Classic remakes are awesome.

Still have a 16 year old Competition Pro 5000 too, which works perfect till today. I can't say this about the Logitech & Microsoft joypads, which i bought the last 6-8 years.
also I still have an original competition pro here...it can be used on amiga and atari or commodore 64 or spectrum or any other compatible system...it's an ordinary ,ancient and outdated stick...
I prefer an original atari-2600 stick instead
the CP usb remake like you said surely is made with low quality switches & plastics

anyways...you can't compare that ancient things with a great game pad like the MS sidewinder or any Logitech gamepad
Old 26 August 2007, 05:41   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
anyways...you can't compare that ancient things with a great game pad like the MS sidewinder or any Logitech gamepad
Really? I have this Logitech Dual Action pad, first revision. What a crap, the D-pad is useless, because you press left/right+up/down at the same time and the analogue stick runs automatically to the left in some windows games.

The most amiga games were designed for sticks, not for pads. Sad, but true and off-topic.
Old 26 August 2007, 05:53   #3
laser
Banned

Quote:
Really? I have this Logitech Dual Action pad, first revision. What a crap, the D-pad is useless, because you press left/right+up/down at the same time and the analogue stick runs automatically to the left in some windows games.

The most amiga games were designed for sticks, not for pads. Sad, but true and off-topic.
stick or pad is the same thing...you can acclimatize to one thing or the other or both... like I did...however now I prefer gamepads of course...once you are acclimatized to a gamepad (but a great one)you will forget quicly any stick ..I guarantee
Old 26 August 2007, 06:00   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
stick or pad is the same thing...you can acclimatize to one thing or the other or both... like I did...however now I prefer gamepads of course...once you are acclimatized to a gamepad (but a great one)you will forget quicly any stick ..I guarantee
Play Sensible Soccer (Amiga, not Mega Drive) with a pad, then you know that you need a good stick. Games without a jump-button aren't enjoyable too with a pad

Sorry for off-topic:

@Damien: Maybe you can move this to a "Which Amiga games do you play with a stick, which with a pad?" thread.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 26 August 2007 at 06:08.
Old 26 August 2007, 09:34   #5
Ironclaw
Banned

I play all Amiga games in WinUAE using the keyboard. If I'm to play to play with a handheld controller, it would without doubt be a gamepad, sticks sucks, for me...
Old 26 August 2007, 10:08   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
I play all Amiga games in WinUAE using the keyboard. If I'm to play to play with a handheld controller, it would without doubt be a gamepad, sticks sucks, for me...
We know.
Old 26 August 2007, 11:21   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

Haha, I knew someone would be like "not Ironclaw and his 'gamepad only' speech again" .... but didn't expect it to be in the very next post :P.

sort of .
Old 26 August 2007, 11:59   #8
Emulationnoob

whoops, didn't mean to start a joystick vs gamepad war. Anyway, when it comes to retro gaming there's not contest, it would just feel all wrong to play them with a pad.

I think I grew up with a zipstick which was amazing and got the competition pro because it looked like a very similar piece of kit, and it does feel much the same, I just can't get the same times as I could in the old days with it in emulation.

P.S. does anyone know what the little switch on the back corner does? I never could figure it out.

Old 26 August 2007, 12:25   #9
Ironclaw
Banned

I was grown up with joysticks only. Got 4 of them for my C64, then 2 new ones for my Amiga, they were all different joysticks. Then after a couple of my fav joysticks broke, I tried with my sega gamepads, the small red one, and the big black one with 3 big black buttons.... my god, all those years of playing with joysticks when I could have played with gamepads... I never went back..... I'm so glad todays consoles, and old consoles aswell only have gamepads... most of them anyway.... that´s just me I guess.

My gaming accuracy and swiftness went up 200% when I used gamepads instead.
Old 26 August 2007, 12:29   #10
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Play Sensible Soccer (Amiga, not Mega Drive) with a pad, then you know that you need a good stick. Games without a jump-button aren't enjoyable too with a pad

Sorry for off-topic:

@Damien: Maybe you can move this to a "Which Amiga games do you play with a stick, which with a pad?" thread.
I agree with retro playing sensible soccer with pad is a hell, th stick is far better
Old 26 August 2007, 16:20   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulationnoob View Post
P.S. does anyone know what the little switch on the back corner does? I never could figure it out.
It activates/deactivates the tiny triangle buttons.
Old 26 August 2007, 16:39   #12
Paul_s

If you've got the cash get an X-Arcade joystick Works great with WinUAE and beats the USB re-makes...
Old 26 August 2007, 16:51   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
If you've got the cash get an X-Arcade joystick Works great with WinUAE and beats the USB re-makes...
The perfect arcade board, but nothing for amiga games.
Old 27 August 2007, 13:58   #14
oneshotdead

Playing Amiga games with a gamepad is simply an inauthentic experience. Only a console gamer could assert gamepads are superior to a joystick.

I'm running a Logitech "Precision" Gamepad and a Competition Pro, and find the latter far superior. For instance, the gamepad is too sensitive when waggling in Xenon to transform from tank to jet, which means you transform accidentally. This rarely--if ever--happens with a decent joystick of any kind, in WinUAE or on original hardware.

Also games which require sensitive diagonal movements are all but useless using a gamepad. And if you are a purist, and don't utilise auto-fire, whether you use your thumb or invert your hand and use your finger on the pad matters not: you cannot fire like you can with a decent sized trigger.

In short, sticks >> pads on Amiga. To assert otherwise is foolishness.

(Oh, OT: try playing Raiden on MAME with a gamepad, lol.)
Old 27 August 2007, 14:26   #15
Graham Humphrey

Generally I agree with you, joysticks are better suited to Amiga games than pads. Not all though, certainly most of the Amiga's FPSes play much better with a joypad. And most platform games are better with a pad too (as long as they don't use 'up' to sodding jump) though I guess that's down to personal preference.
Old 27 August 2007, 14:31   #16
Graham Humphrey

Er, wasn't there a post from oneshotdead before mine? Where's it gone? Or have I gone crazy?

EDIT: Ah mystery solved
Old 27 August 2007, 14:35   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Er, wasn't there a post from oneshotdead before mine? Where's it gone? Or have I gone crazy?

EDIT: Ah mystery solved
Bad timing... You posted while I was moving all the Joystick vs. Gamepad related posts to this new thread
Old 27 August 2007, 15:04   #18
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I've tried Lionheart several times with a joypad. Even with a jump-button it isn't suited for the amiga, the controls with a stick are smoother.

Try the right+down feet attack with a pad, sometimes you miss some smaller enemies or you hit them to late. Works perfect with the Competition Pro here.

Amiga games with a good pad playability are imho:

Aladdin
Apidya
Deluxe Galaga
Battle Squadron (WHDLoad install)
Desert Strike & Jungle Strike
Bubble and Squeak
Dynablaster
Banshee
Turrican 3
Fire & Ice
Bio Challenge
Leander

and some more, but not much.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 27 August 2007 at 15:18.
Old 27 August 2007, 16:06   #19
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Competition pro is a holy fine piece of junk me say. I have one in my collection,
my god how could it be possible to play with ...this... ?

@Retro-nerd : I kill lionheart in every mode with Gamepad only. The 2nd button is not useful here.

I agree with Ironclaw, those who want to achieve precision gameplay want everything but NOT a comp pro.

There are many japanese gamepads with small sticks and using coin-op style switches for very accurate play to sell. The old joysticks are plain bad. Many old games had crappy playability, hence a good pad is needed to bear it.

Best players use the best pads
Old 27 August 2007, 16:07   #20
Dizzy
Pirate

I thought this was a poll with that title..

Please make a poll