English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 24 August 2018, 22:54   #41
b0lt-thrower

Well I have to say with all of the recent developments in the Amiga world, this is probably one of the coolest if not the coolest. I could see myself buying a board to populate as availability of chips and time allowed. I would certainly do so if there was a PCI version available.

I mean, this board, with a Vampire card and some PCI slots would be that "Killer Amiga" I dreamed of so long ago - common hardware platform (ATX motherboard, PCI slots) and an "advanced" Amiga chipset. Mm-mm!

Even aside from the Vamp, it's still an amazing product/project and my hat is off to you. I know it's easy to be a "Monday morning quarterback," but I will also say: this is a design I had in the back of my head forever. Oh, no don't think I'm saying "Well I came up with this idea" - all I know about Electronics is never let the magic blue smoke out of the chips and don't touch the hot end of a soldering iron. I just thought for years "Why doesn't someone do an ATX Amiga motherboard, with sockets or spaces to xfer chips out of older machines, but otherwise with standard PC form factor layout...maybe since Prometheus is now open, include that as the bus-board in addition to or rather than Zorro..." and here we are!

I'm sorry, I'm rambling and offering no real insight into the thread so I'll step out and say (again) congratulations!
Old 24 August 2018, 23:18   #42
Stedy

@Hese

Well done on the mammoth task of re-tracking the A4000. You have more patience than I would have for a task like this.

For those talking about using the Prometheus design, I need to throw a small spanner in the works. The Altera EPM7000 CPLDs use in the design went obsolete last year. 5V tolerant CPLDs/FPGA are coming to the end of their life. The Xilinx XC95xx and Lattice Mach 4000 series are the only ones available and will be obsolete in 2-3 years.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the populated system.
Old 24 August 2018, 23:52   #43
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
@Hese

Well done on the mammoth task of re-tracking the A4000. You have more patience than I would have for a task like this.

For those talking about using the Prometheus design, I need to throw a small spanner in the works. The Altera EPM7000 CPLDs use in the design went obsolete last year. 5V tolerant CPLDs/FPGA are coming to the end of their life. The Xilinx XC95xx and Lattice Mach 4000 series are the only ones available and will be obsolete in 2-3 years.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the populated system.

There was a post by Mr. Boehmer on A1k that he had redone the CPLDs on the Prometheus for some modern available chips. I don't have the post handy but with some searching maybe it could be found. Found it apparently the Prometheus II that he made some samples of used XC95144XL which seem to be available.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 25 August 2018 at 14:11.
Old 25 August 2018, 00:45   #44
spiff
Oh noes!

Congratulations! .

TBH I figured this would never go anywhere... will now go and eat that hat
Old 27 August 2018, 11:41   #45
hese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Any consideration for adding more space between the fast slot and the rear of the machine? I can provide you with the footprint of the CSMK2 + CybSCSI2 if you like. :-)
That can be done but then I'm forced to move to EATX form factor. I think the current hybrid form factor would be ideal, giving the largest choice of ATX cases to choose from.

The next 2.0 revision needs some large rework to be done anyways to make room for more features, so I'll think about expanding this to a full EATX board.
Old 27 August 2018, 11:44   #46
hese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
That is true. The plan is to convert the Prometheus code to some more modern chips when I have time.
Old 27 August 2018, 21:04   #47
shaf

Since most mid-towers support EATX it shouldn't cause any problems. I'd prefer an EATX Board myself so I could use a larger case to support all my SCSI devices.
Old 28 August 2018, 12:16   #48
Jope
-

Thanks, Hese!

I guess it's the modern display cards that have increased case sizes. :-)
Old 28 August 2018, 21:12   #49
Juz400

Would a set of riser pins where the Gary chip would go be benificial?
a small pcb with a Gary chip to drop into place or
a slightly larger pcb with a CPLD/FPGA with a Gary chip implemented on it with problems ironed out.

Maybe some day in the future a clever person(hopefully with a moustache and american accent) could fix whatever might need fixing.

If you have cards that reject the fix, use a gary image/chip that works for you.

I would like to read up more info on what problems there are.
this was interesting to read: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48704
Old 16 September 2018, 12:39   #50
hese

Haven't had time to progress this much for the last few weeks, but here is a snapshot of the rev1.1 production board that I've been working on.

Support has been added for 2MB/4MB Kickstarts (Romy), PC floppy drives (Stedy) and some extra fans. No much space left so probably the rest of the features (PCI Mediator/Prometheus/both?, USB devices, more Fast RAM, ...) will be added to rev 2.0.
Old 17 September 2018, 16:04   #51
1NOM155

About the Prometheus or Elbox they are just bus converters (Zorro to PCI), probably the project for the Atari the CT60/63/60e idea will be a better solution but requires a lot of effort, like to implement a full 68060 CPU, by consequence removing the CPU slot, implement the briged between Amiga < MC68060 > PCI master IC etc, anyway anyone can have a look here http://powerphenix.com/ct60/english/welcome.htm.

About the usb, the project Thylacine, might be a good option to implement. To help you out please have a look of this project here http://members.iinet.com.au/~loofy/, you probably already know it.
Also I already tried to see if this https://www.microchip.com/wwwproduct...ional-features or similar IC can be used to upgrade it to usb 2.0, but again my knowleged is limited unfortunately.

Anyway I wish the best for your project mate.

With my best regards,

1NOM155

Last edited by 1NOM155; 18 September 2018 at 03:04. Reason: Correction of errors and syntax.
Old 07 November 2018, 20:43   #52
jediknight

be nice if you could actually buy one easyier
Old 07 November 2018, 21:30   #53
1NOM155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
be nice if you could actually buy one easyier
Since this is in a development stage, I belive the newer revisions will be easy to get, or maybe send a PM to Hese asking for one. It will help him to know how many people are looking for a board
Old 05 December 2018, 03:01   #54
AmigaHope

What would be even more awesome is full-speed buffered/dual-ported CHIP RAM like Jens is doing with Amiga Reloaded. Requires some fancy bus arbitration, but modern RAM is so fast it would give a lot of overhead to work with. Then you could operate it in four modes (full speed all the time, full speed but blocked during "nasty" DMA mode only for software that sets nasty mode as a crude way of blocking the CPU, full speed but blocked during all AGA DMA slots, and compatibility "classic" mode).
Old 18 February 2019, 11:04   #55
BYTEMAN

I would like to know if production files will be publicly available?
Old 18 February 2019, 11:39   #56
zero

Am I the only one who still likes SCSI? I suppose SCSI controllers are even harder to find than IDE now.

But thinking about IDE controllers, how about SATA? Maybe there are some with an IDE emulation mode available.
Old 04 March 2019, 18:30   #57
AmigaHope

IMHO adding SATA is a bit much, best to leave functionality to expansion cards rather than cluttering up the motherboard even more.

Of course my wishlist for the motherboard would be for it to have 7 Zorro slots, not 4. My current A4000 has a 7-slot Zorro busboard and 6 of them are occupied. xD
Old 08 March 2019, 12:39   #58
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Am I the only one who still likes SCSI? I suppose SCSI controllers are even harder to find than IDE now.

But thinking about IDE controllers, how about SATA? Maybe there are some with an IDE emulation mode available.

Keeping up with SCSI would be expensive but worth it. The shear amount of Enterprise hardware that is scrapped every year is unreal.
I have scrapped over 250 U160/U320 SCSI HDD over the last few years, I didnt pay for them either! There are millions out there being scrapped every year.

I would`nt waste time on implementing SATA but SAS as it does both.

PCI Express - I have done a little research and it would be pretty difficult to get going and I think Vampire with its modern FPGA would be the only cost effective way of get it implemented.
The way the cards communicate with the host is pretty much a Networking protocol and you have to get all that translation working in Hardware to be fast enough to use.
Some Clever guys at CERN have got it going for the industrial VME bus
https://cds.cern.ch/record/2305653/files/tuapl03.pdf
Old 29 March 2019, 00:11   #59
NorthWay

Any chance a v1.1 or 1.2 could have an option for the AA3000 DSP chip? I am keeping a keen eye on the progress Matze is doing on his build...
Old 15 May 2020, 22:17   #60
Pyromania

How’s this project progressing in 2020? It looks very exciting.