English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2022, 02:27   #21
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
In that case, although not on Amiga, but Day of the Tentacle was an amazing follow up to Maniac Mansion with incredible graphics, really cool animations, time travelling plot and tons and tons of fun.
Well actually this great game has been on the Amiga for over a decade now...
Old 20 June 2022, 13:59   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
For me it was mainly about the humour. I remember that the game was quite tedious and I certainly have rose tinted glasses about the presentation, but I'm curious how it feels over 20 years later. Thank you for the warning though
Well I still love it I replayed it through GoG not too long ago. It looked kind of dinky even back when it was new to be honest. But I just love all the hidden gags and crazy ways to earn extra points. I still discover new ones every time I play.

The game tanks a little when you hit the isle of dogs/cats; they just can't resist going off script with these games. They must have thought "You know, that fire berry maze section from the first game. How can we make that worse?" But the music saves it. And then after that you get kicked to the ends of the earth which is just one large trial and error section, you can't call that a "puzzle". But again - epic tune which rescues it; rather than being annoyed I'm just jamming to it

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 June 2022, 14:31   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It looked kind of dinky even back when it was new to be honest.
All the rendered at 320x200 objects indeed looked a bit wonky. There's something for a proper remaster if the 3D models that they used still exist

Quote:
But I just love all the hidden gags and crazy ways to earn extra points. I still discover new ones every time I play.
I remember that my brother and me spend half an hour just clicking the dump pile at the start of the game over and over to get those good/bad conscience lines
Old 20 June 2022, 14:34   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
No one mentioned Lure of the Temptress yet?
Old 20 June 2022, 15:46   #25
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
(...)

Again, cannot go wrong with Monkey Island games, but could never find myself liking Loom.

(...)
I actually completed Loom on my Amiga way before I did Monkey 2. It's cause I had one and not the other but still, I did enjoy both. Loom starts really slow but gets more interesting as the story progresses.
Old 20 June 2022, 21:54   #26
Fiery Phoenix

May need to have a nother crack at it, was all those music notes things that did my nut in (the FM Towns version looks and sounds beautiful)
Old 21 June 2022, 13:23   #27
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Sadly, I completed only few Amiga adventures. Some of them even recently, in past year.

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis: The Graphic Adventure
Maniac Mansion
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
The Secret Of Monkey Island
Simon The Sorcerer
Zak McKracken And The Alien Mindbenders

I played Sierra adventures, but I don't think I ever completed any of them. I did also play Heart of China (actually had boxed version), BASS and few others, but never long enough to solve all the puzzles.
Old 21 June 2022, 15:15   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well give Flight of the Amazon Queen a try (with voices through ScummVM), it's well-worth it.
Old 21 June 2022, 15:41   #29
dreadnought

I know I'm in minority on this, but I really can't stand talkies, even those with good voice acting. For me games from the pre-FMV era are forever text-only, with my internal narrative, and hearing real voices in them seems quite jarring.

I've been checking out CD versions of Gabriel Knight and Wing Commander this week and had to switch the voiceovers off pronto...it was just too bizarre.
Old 21 June 2022, 16:01   #30
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
And controversy I meant was that everyone has their own favourites and Amiga had a lot of point'n'click games. So, lack of series like Leisure Suit Larry, ...Quest series, etc. may be something that could potentially spawn a displease in my choices. Clearly, it didn't.
The first Sierra games were not (strictly) point-n-click. So their absence is justified IMHO ;-)
Old 21 June 2022, 16:04   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hence I didn't list any, or else Police Quest 1 & 2 and Space Quest 3 AGI would have been right up there
Old 21 June 2022, 16:31   #32
dreadnought

The remakes of KQ, SQ, and Larry were all released on Amiga, so...
Old 21 June 2022, 16:38   #33
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Didn't know this, so I had to look it up, but you are refering to that SCI is point-n-click?

Wiki says on the other hand that SCI0 was not point-n-click and KQ1 remake uses SCI0, but I see what you mean.
Old 21 June 2022, 16:54   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I don't like any of em though.
Old 21 June 2022, 17:07   #35
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
I know I'm in minority on this, but I really can't stand talkies, even those with good voice acting. For me games from the pre-FMV era are forever text-only, with my internal narrative, and hearing real voices in them seems quite jarring.

I've been checking out CD versions of Gabriel Knight and Wing Commander this week and had to switch the voiceovers off pronto...it was just too bizarre.
It makes complete sense. There is a significant difference when writing something to be read by its recipient versus writing something to be listened to. Having voice actors, even good ones, read something which was never intended for such purpose will never result in anything actually good.
Old 21 June 2022, 17:16   #36
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Didn't know this, so I had to look it up, but you are refering to that SCI is point-n-click?

Wiki says on the other hand that SCI0 was not point-n-click and KQ1 remake uses SCI0, but I see what you mean.
I'm not sure, I thought most of the remakes are truly point'n click. HoL refers to KQ Enchanced as such, so that's good enough for me In general these early games with text parsers are often thrown in the same bag and that's how I usually think about them too.

Quote:
I don't like any of em though.
That's cool, but Hedeon was talking about the OP.
Old 21 June 2022, 17:25   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
It makes complete sense. There is a significant difference when writing something to be read by its recipient versus writing something to be listened to. Having voice actors, even good ones, read something which was never intended for such purpose will never result in anything actually good.
Except that you're wrong, the voice acting especially in Lucasarts games is fan-tas-tic. I wouldn't play Indy 4 or Sam & Max without it again.
Old 21 June 2022, 17:33   #38
Anubis
Retro Gamer

The Dig had really good voices, as well other games from that period.

Wing Commander voices were OK back in the day. I actually like them.

@ gimbal - had it installed and came pre-installed with one of setups I have, but never got around playing it. It is on my list for a while now.

Now to mention later adventure games - Deponia was such a good and funny experience.
Old 21 June 2022, 17:40   #39
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
The Dig had really good voices, as well other games from that period.
Like Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle. Not sure I agree that voicing games that weren't meant for it never worked, but I know that Full Throttle wouldn't work without the voices.
Old 21 June 2022, 18:00   #40
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

gimbal, TCD: fair enough I would argue that most of the games you mention were made in a transition period. Indy 4, for sure, still has text intended as text. I never played the later talkie version, so I can't really judge. Sam & Max was still released on floppy disks without full voice acting, but surely this was already fully taken into account when written. For Full Throttle, no version without voices even exists, i.e. it is clearly written with real voices in mind. I fully agree, that game would be much worse without the voice acting!

dreadnought: the Amiga KQ1 remake (as all those lazily ported Sierra Amiga games of the time) has a mouse pointer to move around, but all actions still have to pass through the text input parser. In any case, I strongly discourage using the mouse in these games. The pathfinding routine is awful. It will make you die even more often! The SQ1 remake, on the other hand, is "full" point & click.