English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 03 January 2022, 21:41   #1
guybrush

Most "recent" and "modern" IDE to write in C/C++/assembler on the Amiga?

I think the last version of an IDE I recall is the StormC 4; is that the latest and more usable IDE for Amiga for C?

What about C++ and Assembler? I know I can cross compile but I was looking at a self contained development environment running on the Amiga itself.

I can work with just an editor and compile old school, but I was wondering if there was any new IDE made for the Amiga, that has some of the more modern facilities like one click to build and run, step by step debug and such.
Old 03 January 2022, 23:24   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

HISoft C++ has an IDE, I think it requires a 8colour workbench because of text highlighting.

That also has a project manager like StormC.

I can't remember if they have predictive labels/functions/keywords

I'm learning JavaScript on NetBSD in 'vi' and am suffering. The predictive labels/functions/keywords really does help productivity.

DICE comes built in with DME editor, I haven't really used it but he always made it available for shareware on fred fish disks.

I think Lattice was wanting $70USD at the time (in the 80s) for their custom C Source editor.

VBCC gets 100% support because phx is active on this board.

I've never used C++, well I own an Arduino but stick to the ANSI C89 keywords/functions.
Old 04 January 2022, 00:29   #3
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
HISoft C++ has an IDE, I think it requires a 8colour workbench because of text highlighting.

That also has a project manager like StormC.

I can't remember if they have predictive labels/functions/keywords
HISoft C will work on more than 8 colours.

I've got it installed on 3.2.1 in 256 colours under emulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HiSoftC.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	74295  
Old 05 January 2022, 03:59   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
HISoft C will work on more than 8 colours.

I've got it installed on 3.2.1 in 256 colours under emulation.
I normally use my WB in 4 colour mode.

Is Hisoft C your preferred C compiler on the Amiga or do you have the other ones installed as well?
Old 05 January 2022, 08:48   #5
Locutus

If you really want to work comfortably, cross development is the way to go.

Your never going to get anything remotely like the clangd LSP when doing native development.

Native development is cute in principle but just ends up being self-inflicted masochism which gets in the way of focusing on the real fun.

IMHO, IME, yadayada.
Old 05 January 2022, 11:03   #6
zardoz
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Your never going to get anything remotely like the clangd LSP when doing native development.
Sorry what is that?

Like the OP I'm interested in how modern coding IDEs and libraries apply to the Workbench APIs.
Old 05 January 2022, 11:05   #7
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I normally use my WB in 4 colour mode.

Is Hisoft C your preferred C compiler on the Amiga or do you have the other ones installed as well?
I prefer the layout of StormC.

For the odd projects I do I'm quite happy using StormC or Hisoft C

I did have a problem initially setting up StormC on OS3.2 but that's sorted now.
Old 05 January 2022, 13:10   #8
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
Sorry what is that?

Like the OP I'm interested in how modern coding IDEs and libraries apply to the Workbench APIs.

modern IDE's use a system called "language server protocol" where an external server application implements features such as completion, highlighting, code analysis, refactoring etc.

The great thing about this is that it decouples all the intelligent language inspection from the editor which results in these servers being a lot closer to the development of the languages themselves.

For C/C++ there's a server that uses the Clang compiler infrastructure, which couples it to one of the best compilers.
Old 06 January 2022, 21:27   #9
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
modern IDE's use a system called "language server protocol" where an external server application implements features such as completion, highlighting, code analysis, refactoring etc.

The great thing about this is that it decouples all the intelligent language inspection from the editor which results in these servers being a lot closer to the development of the languages themselves.
Oh, I thought this would just be done in the editor with the editor prioritising labels, then local functions over library functions unless the library function was high up on the list of highly accessed function for that programme.

Learn something new every day. I remember MEmacs had curved bracket completion.

Any editor like this on Classic Amiga?
Old 06 January 2022, 22:05   #10
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
I think the last version of an IDE I recall is the StormC 4; is that the latest and more usable IDE for Amiga for C?

What about C++ and Assembler? I know I can cross compile but I was looking at a self contained development environment running on the Amiga itself.

I can work with just an editor and compile old school, but I was wondering if there was any new IDE made for the Amiga, that has some of the more modern facilities like one click to build and run, step by step debug and such.
I can recommend Cubic IDE, which is based on GoldED if you remember that. I think 2005 is the last version, so it's relatively new in Amiga terms! It's very customisable and has most of what you'd expect in a modern IDE - compiling and debugging, syntax highlighting, project view, tabbed interface, etc. I configured mine to use Mac keyboard shortcuts so it was less jarring to move back and fore and I found the experience surprisingly comfortable.

https://www.softwareandcircuits.com/...bic/index.html
Old 09 January 2022, 03:32   #11
guybrush

Thanks for your feedback, that was very educational!

BTW I understand that working in cross compiling environments is the way to go; but to be honest I don't use my pc to make software for the amiga; I sit at the desk where my amiga is set up and code there... It may sound strange or weird, but that's how my brain works The mere concept to set up something on a different machine and go back and forth is giving me headache just to think about it. I adopt the same concept when I write code on a Spectrum or a C64 or a DOS machine... I just use the machine.

With that out of the way, I also want to clarify that I am not looking at anything too advanced like code completion and such. To me if there is a text editor in the IDE, and I can compile, debug and run code from there, it is more than enough.

Not planning to make the next greatest hit Just want to re-kindle the old passion I had for C and assembly when I was younger.

From your comments it seems that Hisoft C/ StormC should be enough to keep me going. In terms of assembly language IDE, the only one that I remember was ASMone; anything more user friendly than that?
Old 27 February 2022, 22:26   #12
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Guybrush and all!

I also highly recommend Cubic IDE

Cheers!