English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 18 June 2023, 15:41   #141
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz View Post
Good news: the playable demo of Hamulet is available for download in the latest issue #10 of the WhatIff magazine: http://whatiff.info/

Feel welcome to give it a try, and thank you
Hamulet, clever name Just had a quick go and I love the torch mechanic Impressive intro too and game is fun to play (even if I'm not sure if I should be able to kill the rats after picking up the sword). Can't wait for the full version
Old 19 June 2023, 02:20   #142
skyzoo73

This game is a dream, all those colors, jap style,
perfect music, intro with beautiful pictures,
fluid, lots of animated elements on screen
and all in HAM ?!!! I'm having a hard time
digesting it. Definitely a milestone in
the history of the Amiga, and a watershed
for all those who will try in the future to create games
for this fantastic computer.
Congratulations again, I remain anxiously awaiting
the final game ( maybe in physical edition ).

P.S.
I tested it on my Amiga 600 (2mega chip+ 4fast)
from workbench (kick3.1.4)+ as controller the KTRL32+
and everything works perfectly.
Where can I find a version in .ADF to test it on Amiga 500 / 500+ ??

Last edited by skyzoo73; 19 June 2023 at 02:25.
Old 19 June 2023, 04:08   #143
carlosgod

Quote:
Good news: the playable demo of Hamulet is available for download in the latest issue #10 of the WhatIff magazine: http://whatiff.info/

This is truly incredible stuff. Have not downloaded the demo yet but just seeing the preview makes my jaws drop! As others have mentioned, this could have been easily mistaken for a modern day mobile game or a 386/486 PC game back in the days. The intro screen HAM mode art work was a nice touch - it makes you realize from the get go that this is no ordinary OCS game... Also very gracious of you to offer to share the code on Github - I hope all the R&D that went into this will kick start a new era of Amiga OCS 256+ color games! I have always dreamt that the Amiga could do a lot of 1:1 (or better!) conversion of SNES games that we Amiga owners have always been envious of. Anyone up for a remake of Chrono Trigger on the OCS using this engine? I'm sure it can be done now! Though you might need about 15 disks for it...

Imagine if the maker of Darkmere had access to this engine. Or the maker of Alien Breed? How awesome would these OCS games look? The Amiga line would have probably lasted another 5-6 years and expire at the same time as the SNES - not that the Commodore mgmt team deserves such life extension.

But I ramble about all those mis-opportunities... Anyway, a few thoughts from what I've seen in the preview video - regarding the lighting mechanic:

1. For me the whole blue rotating bubble animation thing after the main character 'refuels' her torch didn't jive with the look and feel of the game. Also, the rotating bubble animation makes the character flicker, which ruins the look a bit. I would have preferred if there was a better way to represent the torch glowing. Not sure if this can be done easily.

2. After the main character refuels the torch and walk into the dark tiles, it seems like these tiles light up only after she has already walked on it, making it look like there's a half second lag in the lighting effect. Can the tiles light up a bit faster, or at least, ahead of her as she is walking?

3. When the main character light up the candle/lamp on the wall, I feel like it should illuminate the room a lot more (i.e. light up more dark tiles). Right now it looks as if it has the same lighting coverage as the torch she is carrying - which is only 2-3 tiles ahead of her. So perhaps you can make it so that the wall candle/lamp is able to light up to six or seven tiles around it? This gives it more incentive for the player to try to light as many candles / lamp as possible to illuminate the room.

Lastly, and this may sound like nit picking, but the intro artwork (Which is beautiful by the way, don't know how you pulled it off... and why couldn't every Amiga game developers do this back in the old days?) has the main character wearing a red jacket - which is cool looking. However, the in-game character wears what appears to be a red hoodie. So not sure if there's a way to reconcile that... May be one more intro scene of her putting on a hood as she moves into the dungeon?

Will give you more feedback when I get the chance to play. Otherwise, great stuff!

Last edited by carlosgod; 19 June 2023 at 09:58.
Old 19 June 2023, 07:19   #144
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Demo-map for HOL :

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...02#post1623302

Old 19 June 2023, 07:44   #145
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:

Many thanks for all the hard work. If it becomes a commercial title it's got my money.
Old 19 June 2023, 08:09   #146
DisasterIncarna

looks great
Old 19 June 2023, 08:54   #147
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Thank you I'll wait for remz to comment on when the finished game might be ready. Not too keen on adding demo versions to HOL as it's (kinda) double work and (happened in the past) in the worst case the entry doesn't get an update and stays at the demo/beta state.
Old 19 June 2023, 09:20   #148
mahen

Wow, just gave it a try and it both looks great, feels great and appears to have original mechanisms ! Congrats & thank you !!

I'm just not sure about the torch because it forces the character to go back & forth ? But I have not played enough yet to really grasp it

Also I managed to trigger a bug (trashed colors). I'll let you know if I manage to reproduce [WhatIff demo]

Awesome piece of work, really looking forward to it !!
Old 19 June 2023, 10:06   #149
Karlos
Alien Bleed

@remz

Kudos and well done on bringing it this far! The style and presentation are superb.

I can only imagine how visually jaw dropping this would have been in the A500's heydey when on-screen colour counts were still a metric by which such things were judged.

Last edited by Karlos; 19 June 2023 at 12:56.
Old 19 June 2023, 10:56   #150
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
P.S.
I tested it on my Amiga 600 (2mega chip+ 4fast)
from workbench (kick3.1.4)+ as controller the KTRL32+
and everything works perfectly.
Where can I find a version in .ADF to test it on Amiga 500 / 500+ ??
I tried to make an adf out of it but it wouldn't fit so I made an hd floppy but then it wouldn't boot, so I made an hd folder, and it run. But then I couldn't run with just 512k I add to up it up to 512k+512k, perhaps due to be run from hd.
Old 19 June 2023, 12:29   #151
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

can someone upload a video of this to youtube?
Old 19 June 2023, 12:48   #152
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
can someone upload a video of this to youtube?
There already is one:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 June 2023, 13:11   #153
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
I'm just not sure about the torch because it forces the character to go back & forth ? But I have not played enough yet to really grasp it
I believe you're supposed to light unlit wall torches as you go so the amount you need to back-track to "re-light" your torch is minimal.
Old 19 June 2023, 13:17   #154
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I believe you're supposed to light unlit wall torches as you go so the amount you need to back-track to "re-light" your torch is minimal.
You also get audio feedback so you don't miss that it's something you should be doing.
Old 19 June 2023, 14:26   #155
Gzegzolka

Very impressive project, nice to see all that progress from time it appeared first time on EAB. I hope it will turn into full game. Reminds me a bit Worthy. I wish there were some fast way to kill all those slimes
Old 19 June 2023, 17:14   #156
buzzybee

As I found the tech demo some months ago so impressive, I wanted to playtest the news demo too. Cannot get it to work, unfortunately. Based on FS UAE, I have added WhatIFF as a separate harddrive to several A1200 configurations (basic, 2 MB Fast, 68060). Doubleclick on the Hamulet-icon brings up an error message "object is not of required type". Doubleclick on hamulet.exe brings up an intro screen and a jingle, then corrupted sound and a crash - on every configuration. Any idea what I could do?
Old 19 June 2023, 18:11   #157
lionagony

This is amazing! Wonderful work @remz What part of Canada are you in?
Old 19 June 2023, 18:52   #158
DanyPPC

Quote:

Thank You so much for the demo.

Regarding:
Quote:
"- So far, I've only tested it on WinUAE: my only attempt to run it on hardware was on my Vampire V4, and it crashed horribly. I cannot fully trust that the V4 implementation is 100% compliant with a real Amiga, so for now I do not know how well my game would fare on real hardware."
Tested the game on my V4SA with core 9289, Coffin R62 (OS3.9) and it works.
Check your system (core, libs, kick, etc...)
Old 19 June 2023, 19:13   #159
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
As I found the tech demo some months ago so impressive, I wanted to playtest the news demo too. Cannot get it to work, unfortunately. Based on FS UAE, I have added WhatIFF as a separate harddrive to several A1200 configurations (basic, 2 MB Fast, 68060). Doubleclick on the Hamulet-icon brings up an error message "object is not of required type". Doubleclick on hamulet.exe brings up an intro screen and a jingle, then corrupted sound and a crash - on every configuration. Any idea what I could do?
This is the structure of the folder I've set for emulation
Code:
+ hamulet
  + C
  + DATA
  + S
  data.info
  Hamulet
  Hamulet.info
I've annexed the uae setup, you should only set the correct location for the hamulet folder and rom
Attached Files
File Type: uae -hamulet-.uae (12.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 19 June 2023, 19:14   #160
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Under WinUAE, when I tried to use the lha directly as a floppy disk it didn't work at all. Not even a file to list . Workbench saying that the disk was full at 1%.

I then tried to extract the lha inside a folder that I mounted as an HD (I did it on the PC with 7zip). Saw all files and running the demo worked under my emulated wb1.3 A2000.

Hope this help.