English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 April 2021, 13:50   #1
AF2013

Question Playstation PSP, PS 3 and PS Vita?

Sony is going shut the servers PS 3, PSP and PS Vita on 2nd July 2021!

It going be interesting questions...

You may have heard CMOS Clock Battery in PS 3 console that if Sony Shut the servers and the time date isn't going transfer to server(Playstation Network) but it is block. Then Does the CMOS Clock Battery died then it making your PS 3 CD Games that wont be able to load on PS 3....

Is that Correct?

Another things, IF You have physical collections of PS 3 or PSP or PS Vita, Would be good time to sell it or Bad time to Sell it?

PS 4 does have CMOS Clock Battery too as I guess PS 4 got about at least 10 or 15 years left before Sony Shut the PS 4 Server!
Old 13 April 2021, 13:58   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

You can't be very sure with Sony about anything... Here is topic about PS4 clock battery issue. I wonder what will happen with cloud storage.

On Vita i got most of titles I was interested in, PS3 I rarely play, mostly only Read Dead Redemption and couple odd titles. Wonder if this is a sign that it is time to softmode it?!
Old 13 April 2021, 14:09   #3
AF2013

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
You can't be very sure with Sony about anything... Here is topic about PS4 clock battery issue. I wonder what will happen with cloud storage.

On Vita i got most of titles I was interested in, PS3 I rarely play, mostly only Read Dead Redemption and couple odd titles. Wonder if this is a sign that it is time to softmode it?!
Thanks for Links as I didnt see discussions was in off topic.

I seem think PS Vita Games Value going shoot through the roof after 2nd July 2021.

SoftMode? I never heard of it as it is like Jailbreak where you put homebrew game or putting emulator in?
Old 13 April 2021, 14:35   #4
Pyromania

What are the best Amiga like games on Vita? I’ll have to get a Vita and stock up on Games before their gone forever.
Old 13 April 2021, 14:52   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
What are the best Amiga like games on Vita? I’ll have to get a Vita and stock up on Games before their gone forever.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...9&postcount=14

On this topic I posted YT videos I used to run emulators on VITA. Plan on getting large microSD card.
Old 13 April 2021, 15:09   #6
dreadnought

Most of the games for these platforms are "preserved', if you know where to look. This gen is not so bad, but the next one, and the following ones, will be nigh on impossible to save in a 1:1 state once the tap is off. Huge sizes and too many patches.
Old 13 April 2021, 16:11   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I did see a news article about PS3 games not receiving patches anymore even now before the server is shutdown. I wonder if that is because they're isolating patches to a different server so they can keep at least that up and running...
Old 13 April 2021, 16:31   #8
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Most of the games for these platforms are "preserved', if you know where to look. This gen is not so bad, but the next one, and the following ones, will be nigh on impossible to save in a 1:1 state once the tap is off. Huge sizes and too many patches.
I remember when 1GB seemed impossible to think about games size... and look where we are today... What will happen in next 10-15 years with internet speed... who knows... it will not get to 56K for sure...
Old 13 April 2021, 17:00   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I remember when 1GB seemed impossible to think about games size... and look where we are today...
At 120gb becoming a new normal and quite some games going well beyond it.

Where is it going in the next 10-15 years? My guess is full streaming.
Old 13 April 2021, 17:23   #10
dreadnought

Quote:
I remember when 1GB seemed impossible to think about games size... and look where we are today...
Sure, but it's just becoming trickier to catch up with the endless updates. Latest Cyberpunk patch is 37 GB...it's ridiculous

I don't really follow the modern hacking scene anymore. My retro collection will be enough for the rest of my life, even if it all really goes streaming or whatever eventually...
Old 13 April 2021, 17:33   #11
Hercules
Vodka monster.

These days I would never buy anything that is reliant on purchased digital content. Give me a Anbernic handheld any day or a good PC that can emulate older systems. Console manufacters these days are on the gravy train to get you to purchase digital products and can shut the service down at any time.
Old 13 April 2021, 18:09   #12
defor

Solutions:
PSP
PS3
PSVITA
Problem solved
Old 15 April 2021, 12:48   #13
acidbottle

Hacking the vita or ps3 seems very difficult if you are not on a precise system update. I even purchased a second vita with an old system but got cold feet, seemed quite a daunting hack. Have hacked all sorts of systems in the past, Wii, PS2 etc and all were relatively straightforward.

I think its the part that if you are connected to sony network on a valid device and hack the ps3/vita on the same network it will ban your account/IP that has me concerned. That and genrally bricking a device

If it was not for those stupid proprietay memory cards on the vita id have bought almost everything and downloaded. Had a 64gb card and it fried on me before, now left with a 32gb and a 4gb sigh. Hardly any room for anything.

Am hoping emulation can solve this issue but its miles behind, when compared to say Nintendo Switch.

If sony do a blowout end of life sale then I may buy a few more and swap them around (think anything previously bought will be downloadable for the forseeable future) but if not, am happy and content that I probably have enough games on these systems alone to last me until im very old and very grey(er).
Old 15 April 2021, 13:44   #14
defor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Hacking the vita or ps3 seems very difficult if you are not on a precise system update.
Not anymore.

Quote:
I think its the part that if you are connected to sony network on a valid device and hack the ps3/vita on the same network it will ban your account/IP that has me concerned.
Not happening unless one uses some stupid hacks in multiplayer games. Sony doesn't care about psvita/ps3 for many years now. They just want to bury it and move on.

Quote:
If sony do a blowout end of life sale...
Hardly. There've been no sales on psvita/ps3 for many years.
Old 15 April 2021, 14:30   #15
acidbottle

Well I must admit it was about 1-2 years ago when I had it in mind to hack the vita. At that point the fw requirements were (I think) 3.60 and ongoing, so is great to hear the vita is now 100% hackable! Going to wait until the plug is officially pullled then will have another look at doing this.

I can kind of understand why the PS3 is now obsolete, since the PS4, at least, had pretty much the same catalogue. Why Sony disrepected the vita so much I will never fathom, it is also still very popular in Japan with a few games still being released, or at least were up until quite recently.