English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 April 2021, 02:20   #1
danielktdoranie

Mac or Windows Amiga Utilities

Henlo frens!

I am new to Amiga, have never used one. I got 1 x A500 and 3 x A1200s out of the eWaste bin at the local recycling centre. The logic boards are currently being cleaned, recapped and tested by retro computer repair services provider in the U.K.

I have purchased some stuff from https://amigastore.eu/ including an internal GoTek and a CF Hard Disk Kit...

I reading up on everything I need to know... however, could anyone tell me what utility software I will need on my mac or Windows laptop in order to format the CF Card and the uSB stick that will go into the GoTek? In general, what software do you suggest?

Thanks!
Old 09 April 2021, 07:23   #2
bni

Thats some good luck finding that treasure!

If you are comfortable with command line tools https://github.com/cnvogelg/amitools I use that all the time. Otherwise WinUAE or FS-UAE to setup the CF in, or on the Amigas, depends a bit of what you prefer.
Old 09 April 2021, 09:26   #3
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bni View Post

If you are comfortable with command line tools https://github.com/cnvogelg/amitools I use that all the time. Otherwise WinUAE or FS-UAE to setup the CF in, or on the Amigas, depends a bit of what you prefer.
Is there a GUI for this. I'm particularly interested in the ability to edit HDF! If this can be done without WinUAE that would be blisteringly fast for copying over WHDLoad?
Old 09 April 2021, 10:06   #4
danielktdoranie

Quote:

Thanks very much!
Old 09 April 2021, 14:07   #5
danielktdoranie

Quote:

So, I already own Amiga Forever 8 can I use the .rp9 files that came with that .iso and use them on WINUAE? Also, I own a Phase 5 Blizzard 1230 IV (I dunno if it works or not yet, waiting for my boards to come back so I can test it..) I found this .hex file and I note WINUAE has an option to use this card if you have the rom file...

I have attached that file zipped here: https://files.catbox.moe/ix8srw.zip

I don't want to bother you but is there a guide for setting up WINUAE using the files included in the Cloanto Amiga Forever 8 .iso?

My goal here is to emulate the set up I will (hopefully) have when I get everything working... an Amiga A1200 w/ a Phase 5 Blizzard 1230 VI w/ 128MB RAM
Old 09 April 2021, 14:55   #6
bni

Don't know about Amiga Forever or what rp9 files is, but AF should contain everything you need in some form. I mean kickstart rom files and Workbench floppy images (adfs)

Here is a thread about CF card prep on a Mac:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104286

@lesta_smsc No GUI im aware of. I think these tools rdbtool, xdftool mostly make sense to use in a script file, to make the process of creating a CF card repeatable.

But its also possible to quickly add files to a CF card with it (xdftool write), like a WHDLoad game, I have done that several times before I got networking up and running on my A1200
Old 09 April 2021, 15:02   #7
chip

rp9 files are just zipped files
Old 09 April 2021, 15:10   #8
danielktdoranie

Quote:
Don't know about Amiga Forever or what rp9 files is, but AF should contain everything you need in some form. I mean kickstart rom files and Workbench floppy images (adfs)

Here is a thread about CF card prep on a Mac:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104286

@lesta_smsc No GUI im aware of. I think these tools rdbtool, xdftool mostly make sense to use in a script file, to make the process of creating a CF card repeatable.

But its also possible to quickly add files to a CF card with it (xdftool write), like a WHDLoad game, I have done that several times before I got networking up and running on my A1200
Okay, I found the rom files...

I guess Cloanto uses the .rp9 files for their player software...

Just need to get this working now...

https://files.catbox.moe/ix8srw.zip

Phase5_Blizzard1230_IV_eprom_1.0.hex
Old 09 April 2021, 15:16   #9
DamienD
Banned

Most accelerator card .ROMs can be found in this archive for use with WinUAE
expansion_boot_roms [Trumpcard v1.5, v3.1. ALF2 v2.2.].zip
Old 09 April 2021, 16:02   #10
danielktdoranie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Most accelerator card .ROMs can be found in this archive for use with WinUAE
expansion_boot_roms [Trumpcard v1.5, v3.1. ALF2 v2.2.].zip
Thank you! I can connect to the FTP server but when I try to download Filezilla says "failed"... I need to figure this out as there is a treasure trove there... but anyway you could download that for me and upload it to catbox.moe? (sorry to be that guy)
Old 09 April 2021, 16:23   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielktdoranie View Post
Thank you! I can connect to the FTP server but when I try to download Filezilla says "failed"... I need to figure this out as there is a treasure trove there... but anyway you could download that for me and upload it to catbox.moe? (sorry to be that guy)
Read this thread: Amiga File Server

Anyway, I've put the file into The Zone!

See here regarding: How do I get access to The Zone?.

Last edited by DamienD; 09 April 2021 at 17:49. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 09 April 2021, 16:28   #12
danielktdoranie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielktdoranie View Post
Never mind, got it off the Google Drive here https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...9EebUyPyceqang

Thanks all, it's a learning curve for me
Old 10 April 2021, 11:06   #13
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

First off, congratulations. That is quite a find. I have built a setup for my A1200 both on the PC and on the Amiga itself. I use the CF card as the base and I currently run 3.1.4 with an accelerator. The whole thing is just sublime. What Toni has done in WinUAE is nothing short of magical. So it is a case of plugging my CF card into either system and off I go.

Looks like you are good to go so far, but I did have issues with the accelerator at first. Ended up being slight config differences between the systems.
Old 11 April 2021, 13:04   #14
danielktdoranie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
First off, congratulations. That is quite a find. I have built a setup for my A1200 both on the PC and on the Amiga itself. I use the CF card as the base and I currently run 3.1.4 with an accelerator. The whole thing is just sublime. What Toni has done in WinUAE is nothing short of magical. So it is a case of plugging my CF card into either system and off I go.

Looks like you are good to go so far, but I did have issues with the accelerator at first. Ended up being slight config differences between the systems.
Thanks for your comment. The Unusable Amiga Emulator emulator is so rad. Personally, I hate Windows with a passion but I keep a Windows 10 laptop around in case I need to run software that only works on Windows.

I was able to install FS-UAE on my Raspberry Pi 4 Model B that is running Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit Beta.

At this point I have the FS-UAE working and running a virtual replica of what my IRL Amiga A1200 rig will be...

Now I just need to learn how to use AmigaOS and I’ll be flying LOL. I have never used it before, in the 90s I was using Linux mostly and from 2000 I was using Mac OS X, I knew Amiga existed but that was about it.

My ultimate goal is to be an AmigaOS power user and then get NetBSD 9.1 installed and running. The Amigas are being serviced, cleaned and recapped. I also bought a bunch of stuff like power supplies, IDE CF card adapters, ROMS, OSSC, and a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card that works in AmigaOS and NetBSD 9.1

http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/amiga/

Simultaneously, I plan to send 1 Amiga A1200 to an engineer friend in the U.S.A. who may be able to further develop the A314 Raspberry Pi project... we’d like to be able to use the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B not only as an expansion but as an accelerator, early early days yet and time will tell if this is possible.

So this is the beginning of a long road.