English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 November 2020, 16:23   #1
eXeler0

Preferred Falcon variant

Howdy,
Which on is more sought after: the Original Atari model or the C Lab variants?
Old 18 November 2020, 13:28   #2
eXeler0

Wrong forum it seems =)
Old 18 November 2020, 14:54   #3
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
I remember some EAB members stating they have or have had a Falcon. But you shouldn't expect fast and numerous answers here. Many people are probably like me, not even knowing that there were two variants made.
Old 18 November 2020, 14:57   #4
chip

Just try Atari forum for better luck
Old 18 November 2020, 16:13   #5
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

AtariAge is good
Old 18 November 2020, 16:23   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I think it doesn't matter which door blocker type to choose
Old 18 November 2020, 18:22   #7
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Howdy,
Which on is more sought after: the Original Atari model or the C Lab variants?

And I thought we were going to discuss Operation Counterstrike!
Old 18 November 2020, 18:37   #8
zardoz
Zone Friend

http://hol.abime.net/486

I prefer the ST version.
Old 18 November 2020, 23:07   #9
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
I remember some EAB members stating they have or have had a Falcon. But you shouldn't expect fast and numerous answers here. Many people are probably like me, not even knowing that there were two variants made.
Allow me to spread some knowledge then.
C-Lab was in the Music business and made a lot of software for Atari. (In fact even a MIDI-sequencer for the C64) and they also did some music-related hardware (MIDI interfaces, Audio Synchronizers etc).
Basically, the Atari Falcon was a good platform for their hardware and software so when Atari gave up on the Falcon, C-Lab got a license to manufacture the Falcon and these variants are known as C-Lab Falcon Mk I, MkII.

The "dilemma" for collectors then (and the reason for my OP), would be if you want the original Atari version or the C-Lab version which is a licensed "clone" but even rarer.
Old 18 November 2020, 23:11   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If it works, no one will care. There are very very good reproduction badges should you feel the need to pretend it's an original
Old 19 November 2020, 15:02   #11
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Yeah, same here. When I got my Falcon with a broken keyboard, I had no idea of the two variants either.

Falcon was waaaaay too expensive back in the day. When I finally got lucky to get one for cheap on eBay (around only $1,700) half a decade ago, I didn't hesitate and kept raising bids by few hundreds. Luckily for me, the other chap was cheap and backed out quickly, before the amounts got serious
Old 19 November 2020, 18:21   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Thank you for the details eXeler0.
Old 19 November 2020, 18:33   #13
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
If it works, no one will care. There are very very good reproduction badges should you feel the need to pretend it's an original
From a user perspective its true (and also "common sense" perspective), but the words you said were never ever spoken by a *collector* :-)
Old 19 November 2020, 19:07   #14
redblade
Zone Friend

So it's a bit like a Commodore Amiga 1200 Vs Amiga Technologies Amiga 1200?

eXeler0: Is there a big price difference between the two falcons? I'm guessing if you're a collector you would want the origional? Unless there were problems on the mother board?
Old 19 November 2020, 21:49   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I think the CLAB Falcon 030 MKII motherboard is supposed to be a slight improvement over the Atari Falcon 030 motherboard.

I wouldn't buy a CLAB Falcon 030 MK-X but some people think they nice especially if you have a CT60/3/e. I'd rather have the original integrated keyboard model.

I don't think the same can be said for AT 1200 motherboard?
Old 19 November 2020, 22:00   #16
trixster
Guru Meditating

Speaking as a Falcon owner, I've always preferred the original Falcon over the C-Lab and have never particularly wanted a C-Lab, but I think if you were to ask this question on Atari-Forum you'd get the opposite answer.
Old 19 November 2020, 22:02   #17
eXeler0

Quote:

eXeler0: Is there a big price difference between the two falcons? I'm guessing if you're a collector you would want the origional? Unless there were problems on the mother board?
Well, that's the dilemma. As a collector you'd probably want both but they are bloody expensive. I had a €1000 bid swiftly rejected by the seller ;-) (For the Atari). But as Alexh wrote, there are those who would say the C-lab is better and even more rare, so it wont be cheap either.
But that's where i got mentally stuck ;-) Original vs a possibly better and rarer clone...
Old 19 November 2020, 22:27   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

From a pure cost perspective, the Atari will be more costly.

However, if you actually intend to use the machine and not simply let it sit in a corner until its worth lots, the C-Lab would be the better machine for the simple fact its no doubt been revised and had a few bug fixes over the original Atari machine.

Whilst they are clones, it's not like they use different internal hardware to achieve the same end result, they are certainly more closer related than a PC clone is to another PC clone.

Frankly, i'd have either if I could justify the cost, but I can't, so will just have to hope I strike it lucky one day.
Old 19 November 2020, 22:58   #19
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I don't think the same can be said for AT 1200 motherboard?
I think the main problem was the floppy drive that stopped commerical fears AGA. I guess the whdload crew could explain more on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Well, that's the dilemma. As a collector you'd probably want both but they are bloody expensive. I had a €1000 bid swiftly rejected by the seller ;-) (For the Atari). But as Alexh wrote, there are those who would say the C-lab is better and even more rare, so it wont be cheap either.
But that's where i got mentally stuck ;-) Original vs a possibly better and rarer clone...
€1000, Do you have to pay swedish taxes on that as well? Is it a swedish keyboard/TOS ? The prices on ebay are crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
From a pure cost perspective, the Atari will be more costly.

However, if you actually intend to use the machine and not simply let it sit in a corner until its worth lots, the C-Lab would be the better machine for the simple fact its no doubt been revised and had a few bug fixes over the original Atari machine.

Frankly, i'd have either if I could justify the cost, but I can't, so will just have to hope I strike it lucky one day.
Sounds like my Amigas sitting in the corner at my parents
Old 20 November 2020, 00:40   #20
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like my Amigas sitting in the corner at my parents
Best make sure your parents didn't sell your Amigas because they think you didn't want them anymore. I made the mistake of neglecting my A1200 and my Dad sold it, just like that.