English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 January 2021, 15:26   #181
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
I don't know anything about ST, but since they use 320x200 they are still in NTSC? or do they also use PAL? If they are only in NTSC, it would be necessary to compare only by setting the amiga in NTSC.
You wouldn’t be able to connect it to a standard TV if it was still NTSC.
Old 06 January 2021, 22:40   #182
kremiso

just audio talking, Last Duel has a different main tune on ST, not bad
also, Ghouls n Ghosts has a different (not completely, some levels) soundtrack, not bad too

graphically, same crap

Last edited by kremiso; 06 January 2021 at 23:15.
Old 07 January 2021, 00:47   #183
SSJTrunks69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Yeah, well, I hate the ST with a passion. I should know, I've owned one. The rest of it wouldn't be so bad, but that sound chip had no place in a 16-bit machine.
I hate the ST because of the same reason, the ST's 8 bit sound chip
Old 07 January 2021, 01:34   #184
chip

Ok guys, but are you speaking for technical reasons only ?

I mean, you really don't like the quality sound of ST or simply think that it's not an adequate chip for the machine ?
Old 07 January 2021, 02:25   #185
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Back on topic please chaps.

Thread is asking where ST version is different or better.
Old 07 January 2021, 04:36   #186
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Ok guys, but are you speaking for technical reasons only ? I mean, you really don't like the quality sound of ST or simply think that it's not an adequate chip for the machine ?
Let's put it that way, the ST could be worth getting as a cheap alternative to A500 (even today, might be more convenient to accomplish certain tasks on the ST, learning to code in C or ASM, using it as a midi sequencer etc.) if the audio chip was a least decent. But they rushed it, and as a result, only a handful of games are equal or better than on the miggy (for "bad" reasons most of the times, except for the marginal speed bump of the quartz). If you want to play some ST music on your computer to form your own opinion, you may download a YM player, here's ST Sound, along with a ST Tune Archive, here's one. Sorry for OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Thread is asking where ST version is different or better.
Robocop III is more "focused", a bit faster, presumably better on the ST. So that's one more in favor of the ever-present challenger I suppose .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 07 January 2021 at 11:01.
Old 07 January 2021, 10:36   #187
roondar

In general, ST games loaded (much) faster. Probably in part due to the different audio, but it also happens in games where sampled music is still present.

As for individual games, as I recall it the Sierra 'Quest' games usually ran somewhat faster/better on the ST.
Old 07 January 2021, 10:58   #188
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I beg to differ.

Amiga version:
[ Show youtube player ]

Atari ST version:
[ Show youtube player ]
Wow! Sorry for the necro-quote but I did not know that the ST version looked that great! Much more detail than on Amiga, probably much better on CRT. I didn't know about the in-house vs. outsourced development either.
Old 07 January 2021, 12:41   #189
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
just audio talking, Last Duel has a different main tune on ST, not bad
also, Ghouls n Ghosts has a different (not completely, some levels) soundtrack, not bad too

graphically, same crap
Honestly, I LIKED the ATARI ST music. And C=64, and Amiga. I wish there was a remix of it with the Sharp X68000 version just to listen to.

Even Xenon II sounded good on the ST to me in a different way than the Amiga. Both can be enjoyed based on how they mastered each sound chip.
Old 07 January 2021, 19:25   #190
kremiso

Another imo rare example of better ST soundtrack, also changed from the Amiga counterpart, AirBall :

[ Show youtube player ]

btw i don't think Phil is searching also for sound differences, or i'm wrong?
Old 07 January 2021, 19:34   #191
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Is it me or is that the American Office theme tune alike?
Old 07 January 2021, 19:42   #192
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad_UK View Post
Is it me or is that the American Office theme tune alike?
listening that one atm, yes very similar indeed
Old 10 January 2021, 17:44   #193
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Excuse me? I don't reply to every post he makes, this is insinuating that I'm on a search and destroy mission on the guy when I'm absolutely not.

I reply to his nonsense because quite frankly all of it is outrageous and some of it even offensive to people who know their Amiga history.

More than happy to get back on topic so lets crack on.
Wow just came back to this thread.

I wrote the truth in my post - I told you they said that on the podcast I listened to and they did. I also said I had never played an ST so I was just relaying information. So nothing I said was outrageous in any way. Maybe apologise instead of doubling-down?

It's actually only offensive information if you are insecure about the Amiga and get angry if anyone says it may not be the best in every department. The rest of us here are not 14 anymore...

This guy below agreed. I do also know now from listening to another episode last night - that the guy who said it in the podcast (he is called Darran) has a real ST and a real Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
It’s true though, at least from a practical standpoint if you have an adjustable screen. I can plug a 520ST into a Phillips CM8833 and adjust the screen and pretty much all the games and TOS will fill the screen and be centred without having to mess about with it again.

If I do that on an Amiga, games will randomly be centred to one side or other depending on the whims of the developers, and have either big gaps at the bottom/top of the screen or have bits of the screen cropped. It’s the single most annoying thing to me about Amiga gaming.
Old 10 January 2021, 17:57   #194
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
Wow just came back to this thread.

I wrote the truth in my post - I told you they said that on the podcast I listened to and they did. I also said I had never played an ST so I was just relaying information. So nothing I said was outrageous in any way. Maybe apologise instead of doubling-down?

It's actually only offensive information if you are insecure about the Amiga and get angry if anyone says it may not be the best in every department. The rest of us here are not 14 anymore...

This guy below agreed. I do also know now from listening to another episode last night - that the guy who said it in the podcast (he is called Darran) has a real ST and a real Amiga.
10 seconds Gilbert - that's all you worth.

The time it's taken me to write this message.
Old 10 January 2021, 18:56   #195
Gilbert

Quote:

The time it's taken me to write this message.
The guy who agreed with me wasn't worth any of your time either....

PS this message took me 8.89 seconds to write
Old 10 January 2021, 19:38   #196
Konrad

Gilbert, he didn't really agree. he wrote "It’s true though, at least from a practical standpoint if you have an adjustable screen".
Practical because you have an adjustable screen you can stretch the picture to be full screen. You can do the same with the Amiga.
Atari games mostly run with 320x200, so normally you just have to adjust once.
Amiga games switch resolution more often. Would be annoying to adjust frequently. So you leave it like it is, showing some games in fullscreen, some with border on the bottom.

So technical the Amiga is much better here and offers more.
You just get mislead because of the above described visual aspect.
You can of course adjust the screen for Amiga games same way as for Atari, if that suits your liking.

Last edited by Konrad; 10 January 2021 at 22:07. Reason: Typos
Old 10 January 2021, 19:53   #197
mcgeezer

Most people in the late 80's and early 90's who were gamers didn't have a monitor, they'd use the built in tv modulator (on the ST) or the add-on for the Amiga to connect it to a CRT. One of the ways you could get an ST to have a larger screen was to pop the machine into 60Hz(NTSC) mode, pretty much all menu disks offered this options.

I remember seeing an early game on the Amiga at the computer club I used to visit (might have been Clown O Mania), the game had full over scan and music that beat any Atari ST to death at the time. As an ST owner seeing the over scan on a CRT from an Amiga game was pretty awesome, especially when all the technical demos of the Atari ST were all striving for full over-scan... they could do it, but not in a game.

No Atari ST owner seen the 320x200 limitation with a massive border as a plus over the Amiga, anyone who says otherwise is either die hard ST or delluded.
Old 10 January 2021, 21:41   #198
Foebane
Banned

The Atari 8-Bit line also had black bars top and bottom of the screen, although not as pronounced - I could never figure out why that was when I was a kid, although the reason is obvious now (it wouldn't be there in NTSC).

Also, I'd say even the Atari 8-Bit line was capable of overscan, as the player/missile sprites attest to.
Old 10 January 2021, 22:08   #199
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
PS this message took me 8.89 seconds to write
1 second is what it would take a moderator to lock the thread...

Seriously, can't you guys take a bit easier? You can both have interesting points to put forward. No need to get this aggressive.
Old 11 January 2021, 10:10   #200
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

unsubbed... was interested in thread but can do without dumb behaviour