Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Aladdin & Putty Squad Demo crash? (Analogic)fSWI Floppy Drive

I'm trying to load both these games from floppy disk on my fSWI Floppy Drive
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/fwsi

The problem is this keeps happening
[ Show youtube player ] Aladdin
[ Show youtube player ] Putty Squad

I also the tried the Arte demo by Sanity to check if the nRDY signal works and the demo works fine (apparently that disk is a valid test for that).

The Lion King which I believe is a similar release to Aladdin works fine. So I'm currently at a loss.

The disk images I used are the [cr PDY] ones in TOSEC for Aladdin and the Amiga Power coverdisk for Putty Squad, Both work in WinUAE.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Whitesnake; 25 November 2013 at 16:11.
Old 25 November 2013, 17:15   #2
retrogamer
Zone Friend

Maybe your floppydrive are not compitable with Alladin take a look in this thread.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=moonstone+aga
Old 25 November 2013, 17:23   #3
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer View Post
Maybe your floppydrive are not compitable with Alladin take a look in this thread.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=moonstone+aga
That thread talks about the Amiga Technologies floppy drive problem for the most part, Which is a problem with the Ready signal not being connected.

From what I can tell I don't have that problem as like I said the Arte demo by Sanity works from floppy disk on my setup.
Old 25 November 2013, 18:29   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'm trying to load both these games from floppy disk on my fSWI Floppy Drive
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/fwsi

The problem is this keeps happening
[ Show youtube player ] Aladdin
[ Show youtube player ] Putty Squad

I also the tried the Arte demo by Sanity to check if the nRDY signal works and the demo works fine (apparently that disk is a valid test for that).

The Lion King which I believe is a similar release to Aladdin works fine. So I'm currently at a loss.

The disk images I used are the [cr PDY] ones in TOSEC for Aladdin and the Amiga Power coverdisk for Putty Squad, Both work in WinUAE.

Any ideas?
I'm having to go by memory here, but that colour cycling thing is either a disk error or its a disk format protection error. I didn't ever crack the full release of Aladdin, but I did crack the Aladdin Beta for Dual Crew Shining which had the same copy protection (i.e. hidden information in gaps on the disk for disk identification which is lost on an standard DOS Copy), and I remember that did those colour lines if the disk format was wrong.

Check out the zone, i've uploaded the DCS Beta release, see if that works to disk change which i'm sure it will, I suspect Prodigy fucked it up.

As for Lion King, that didn't use the same disk format, it was AmigaDOS file loading so not the same issue.
Old 25 November 2013, 18:49   #5
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'm having to go by memory here, but that colour cycling thing is either a disk error or its a disk format protection error. I didn't ever crack the full release of Aladdin, but I did crack the Aladdin Beta for Dual Crew Shining which had the same copy protection (i.e. hidden information in gaps on the disk for disk identification which is lost on an standard DOS Copy), and I remember that did those colour lines if the disk format was wrong.

Check out the zone, i've uploaded the DCS Beta release, see if that works to disk change which i'm sure it will, I suspect Prodigy fucked it up.

As for Lion King, that didn't use the same disk format, it was AmigaDOS file loading so not the same issue.
I'll be sure to check it out later and get back to you.

What about the Putty Squad Demo? That isn't cracked and does the same thing.

The crash seems like it happens on both just as the games are about to transition to a title screen.
Old 26 November 2013, 16:56   #6
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Unfortunately the beta version of Aladdin doesn't work either.

The disk starts loading and it just stops after a few seconds on a black screen.

I also tried some other releases of the Putty Squad Demo and it has the same crash.

Global Gladiators and Cool Spot floppy releases don't seem to work either although the WHDLoad versions never worked either, They would just crash with black and white bars while loading.

It seems like Virgin games have a problem with the CD32.

I also found this thread documenting similar problems
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...es/jdhr49vMyp0

Last edited by Whitesnake; 27 November 2013 at 03:10.
Old 08 September 2014, 18:11   #7
iXien

If someone is on this topic, I encounter exactly the same problems with my fWSI.

I try to load my original copy of Aladdin and have the same crash... I tried a numerous original games from my personal collection and a lot of them crashed (ECS or AGA). I think it is a problem of fWSI hardware. Floppy disk is weird.

It is not a PC or AMIGA floppy disc drive, so I don't managed to replace it to try another drive. This floppy drive was developped for a single usage : use a English training software, so I think they made no test to verify their accessory was 100% functionnal for full Amiga usage.

Did someone find a solution ?

Last edited by iXien; 08 September 2014 at 18:39.