English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 March 2023, 12:05   #161
a/b

It's not only the amount of colors on the screen that matters. OCS 12-bit palette is "borderline" usable (if you are good and put some effort in you can create really great gfx), and only adding a single bit to each component (15-bit palette, so 32 shades each instead of 16) is tremendous in visual quality. AGA has a 24-bit palette.
Old 17 March 2023, 12:43   #162
sokolovic

Yes but I was answering to the curious assertion saying that AGA could'nt move stuff in 256 colors screen mode.
Old 17 March 2023, 18:54   #163
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

256 INDEXED to be precise, well is related at the fact that in OCS/ECS we can hardly have something moving around full screen at 50 FPS in 32 color mode (not without some tricks like restricting the horizontal field)
Old 17 March 2023, 19:43   #164
sokolovic

I'm no developper but I guess that by indexed you mean using the full 256 colors palette ?
In that case Turrican 2 use it a 50hz without restrictions (I Guess slam Tilt does too, even in HiRes)

As for OCS/ECS doesn't most of Team17 games use overscan 50hz 32 colors mode ? Body Blows, Superfrog, Alien Breed 1/2/TA, Project X, Assassin... Worms being the only one using Dual Playfield.

Troubles come when you want to add some parallaxes but even the SNES (which use planar display like the Amiga) cannot use full 256 colors with parallaxes IIRC. Most of the games use something like three layers of 15+15+4 colors and many 16 colors sprites (and with a 256*224 resolution which is lower than the Amiga low res).

Last edited by sokolovic; 17 March 2023 at 22:04.
Old 17 March 2023, 22:04   #165
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well, talking of expectations that is what most amigans (at least me) were waiting for: something that would have made arcade perfect ports and fight with SNES and megadrive/genesis/PC engine - that and quality ports too...

[addendum]
For me the 1200 was the migration to a REAL work station, though, since was able to accelerate it, add RAM and an hard disk, and did love it until was forced to buy a Power Mac for a commission job due to surf Squirrel incompatibility with the accelerator (talking on 1997, hence most amiga accelerators were out of market and already precious as gold) - and even then the Amiga was used as printer station from the mac

Last edited by saimon69; 17 March 2023 at 22:17.
Old 17 March 2023, 23:14   #166
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Well, talking of expectations that is what most amigans (at least me) were waiting for: something that would have made arcade perfect ports and fight with SNES and megadrive/genesis/PC engine - that and quality ports too...

[addendum]
For me the 1200 was the migration to a REAL work station, though, since was able to accelerate it, add RAM and an hard disk, and did love it until was forced to buy a Power Mac for a commission job due to surf Squirrel incompatibility with the accelerator (talking on 1997, hence most amiga accelerators were out of market and already precious as gold) - and even then the Amiga was used as printer station from the mac
Yep. But I'm not sure that was really a hardware problem... Mostly because of low budget quick ports made by one coder, one artist and one musician generally (all of them working on other ports of the game for other machines sometimes), especially vs huge japanese teams dedicated to one console with every ressources and assets of the original game when it was a conversion.

And this gap became wider with the A1200 with always shrinking teams and publishers for a shrinking market in a time were we had bigger expectations and games recquired bigger budgets and dedication.

When the Amiga was the lead machine, console ports weren't better than the Amiga original version. Check how much Worms AGA is better than its Megadrive or SNES counterparts.

Last edited by sokolovic; 17 March 2023 at 23:25.