English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 September 2008, 18:12   #1
jolly11

something like cd32's collections..why not for sega mega cd?

I have an amiga cd32 and I like very much compilations like cd200, cd444 etc..many and many games to play in only one cd.
So, why not do the same things for sega mega cd? it would be nice to have sega genesis/megadrive games in one cd.
What do you think? is it impossible to realize?
Old 22 September 2008, 18:29   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

They use a bit of software called WHDload. Such equivalent software does not exist on Megadrive. I would imagine that loading from the CD is prohibitively time consuming compared to cartridge? Not to mention that games would probably have to be hacked to allow saving.

What is more likely to happen is a Sega Flash cartridge, similar to those found on the GBA and NDS.

This is the wrong forum to discuss... try http://forums.segaxtreme.net/
Old 22 September 2008, 18:36   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I have the Super HuCard CD for my PC Engine Duo. It loads the games into the PC Engine ram, but it works only with smaller games (1-2 MBit HuCard games). The most titles doesn't work properly, or freezes later in the game.

Anyway, i don't know if something like that is possible for the Mega CD. There are flashcarts for the Mega Drive, probably a better solution.
Old 22 September 2008, 18:56   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There is a Sega Arcade Classics CD with 5 games on one CD. The games are the same as the cartridge versions, so I guess the key how to make cartridge games work from CD is on that CD I also think that it might be quite difficult to reverse engineer that technique since it was not done yet...
Old 22 September 2008, 19:12   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

There are HuCard games on some PC Engine CD games too. Some guys tried to replace the HuCard games with other titles, but they failed.. iirc.

http://bonkzonk.com/game.ktn?Game=3in1
Old 22 September 2008, 20:21   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
There is a Sega Arcade Classics CD with 5 games on one CD. The games are the same as the cartridge versions, so I guess the key how to make cartridge games work from CD is on that CD I also think that it might be quite difficult to reverse engineer that technique since it was not done yet...
That was an official release and so could have been done at the source code level... interesting to take a look though. You'd still have to hack it.

You can of course buy the older cartridge emulators for Sega Megadrive. They had either FDD in them or parallel port links to a host computer, but they are old and very slow compared to a modern flash card solution.