English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 August 2023, 14:37   #1
ShadowRider

Need some guidance

Hello all, Sorry for this question advance; I am trying to understand the updates.. still not fully understanding winuae, but with Utube, i am making progress. I have a 4000 and a 2000 that i am in the progress of giving back some over do love.(pulled out of storage).. upgrading to 3.2 roms and software.. putting a 4gb CF ide card, to replace the HDD.
my question is i am trying to put back software on these, (i have just gotten a Gotek, and learning ADFs) for Games do you have to have iGame , and WHDload to run software on the box amigas?
Old 19 August 2023, 17:51   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRider View Post
do you have to have iGame , and WHDload to run software on the box amigas?

No. If you have a Gotec and an ADF of the game, you can just run it from the ADF as you would do from a floppy disk (i.e. insert the disk and reboot).

WHDLoad is two things: firstly it allows to install supported games on harddisk, so that you no longer need a floppy or ADF. And secondly it is a so-called degrader which makes games made for older Amiga models run on newer models.

iGame is just a front end. A nice GUI which lets you select your games from a list, possibly with screenshots. You don't need it, you can as well find the game on your harddisk and run it by double click.