English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 June 2015, 19:53   #1
TenLeftFingers

Unhappy Indivision AGA MK2cr issues

I've just installed this and while I'm able to use my LCD monitor now, there are some serious issues. I've read a lot of threads but I'm still not clear so please bare that in mind when explaining things to me I'd like to keep the device so I'm hoping I can get help with some of these, particularly the ghosting issue:

Ghosting
Like it says on the tin. I've tried different cables. I removed all my shielding as it won't fit (see #3/4) and didn't attach the little cable. But I've read that it doesn't matter and that this is caused by

Can't try other screen modes
When I 'Test' any of the other screenmodes I get the error "Can't open screen. Is this monitor driver installed?". I ran both of the installers from their wiki page.

HD not secure
See the pic - is this safe? The legs don't fit in the hole anymore. I don't need a CF hard disk as 85MB is plenty for me for now. Does everyone have this problem?

Case doesn't close
See the pic. The case is bulging because the HD cradle is raised, keeping the top of the case from coming down flush with the lower half.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga-ghosting.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	44484   Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga-hdraised.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	44485   Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga-caseraised.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	44486  
Old 17 June 2015, 21:41   #2
jack-3d
kLiker

http://walkero.gr/post/40169816210/h...ide-amiga-1200
Old 17 June 2015, 21:47   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Come on, get a CF adapter, a ribbon and a cheap 4Gb CF and you are done.
Old 17 June 2015, 21:50   #4
supaduper

To be honest the AGA will not fit/go with your set up of 2.5" Hard drive you really need to use a CF with it as you can now see the problem

also you are probably shorting out something on the AGA with it in contact with then Hard drive caddy, so please don't use it like this you will damage something.

CF`s are cheap, so really that's what I would do swap out the HD for one
Old 17 June 2015, 23:25   #5
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
Thank you! That's a viable option and I will most likely do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Come on, get a CF adapter, a ribbon and a cheap 4Gb CF and you are done.
If it would solve a problem I'd get one, but I think the solution above is even more cheap. I'm not working at the moment so the AGA was the last purchase for a while really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
To be honest the AGA will not fit/go with your set up of 2.5" Hard drive you really need to use a CF with it as you can now see the problem

also you are probably shorting out something on the AGA with it in contact with then Hard drive caddy, so please don't use it like this you will damage something.

CF`s are cheap, so really that's what I would do swap out the HD for one
Thanks supaduper. I removed the HD entirely. It didn't help with the ghosting but I'll insulate it using the method jack-3d posted to.

I don't see many threads on the ghosting. Is it likely to be a fault wit hthe unit I received? EUR200 is a lot to spend on something that doesn't look right. I guess it might be time to log a ticket at AmigaKit support.
Old 17 June 2015, 23:42   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

About the ghosting, take out the indi, clean all the contacts with a rubber eraser and alcohol or isoprophyl alcohol and refit it.
Old 18 June 2015, 00:20   #7
rare_j
Zone Friend

You could see if cutting a hole in the caddy works. Then you can mount the hdd on little riser nuts that you can get from computer shops that sell fixings. This lifts the hdd clear of the board. If the hdd is thin enough it will fit and the case closes. This is how mine fits with a flicker magic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-17 23.14.02.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	44488  
Old 18 June 2015, 00:22   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Compact Flash adaptor plus ribbon GBP 2,69

Cheap 4GB Compact Flash USD5,67

You'll get 4Gb against 85mb you've got, and store a lot of programs/games inside. Faster, no noise and if you like in the future with a cheap adaptor you can connect it to any PC to transfer files with WinUAE.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 June 2015 at 00:53.
Old 18 June 2015, 08:53   #9
Jope
-

Just insulate the bottom of the 2.5" disk with a bit of cardboard and lay it on top of the indi.. Perhaps fasten it with a rubber band. :-D

Why bother with the HD tray, the screw holes don't line up with any modern HD anyway. ;-)
Old 18 June 2015, 09:21   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
I don't see many threads on the ghosting. Is it likely to be a fault wit hthe unit I received? EUR200 is a lot to spend on something that doesn't look right. I guess it might be time to log a ticket at AmigaKit support.
The ghosting looks like it is caused by signal reflections in the VGA cable. This is due to mismatched impedances at one or both ends. Using a shorter, better quality cable should improve on things.
Old 18 June 2015, 17:15   #11
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
About the ghosting, take out the indi, clean all the contacts with a rubber eraser and alcohol or isoprophyl alcohol and refit it.
Quote:
Compact Flash adaptor plus ribbon GBP 2,69

Cheap 4GB Compact Flash USD5,67

You'll get 4Gb against 85mb you've got, and store a lot of programs/games inside. Faster, no noise and if you like in the future with a cheap adaptor you can connect it to any PC to transfer files with WinUAE.
Thank you so much Retrofan. Someone has very kindly offered to send me a CF card setup. I'm not sure if it's okay to name them but I am very grateful for their incredibly kind gesture and I should have a CF setup in the next few days

I did try cleaning following your advice and the buds were dark aftewards. So they clearly were a little dirty. The picture still looks the same though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
You could see if cutting a hole in the caddy works. Then you can mount the hdd on little riser nuts that you can get from computer shops that sell fixings. This lifts the hdd clear of the board. If the hdd is thin enough it will fit and the case closes. This is how mine fits with a flicker magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Just insulate the bottom of the 2.5" disk with a bit of cardboard and lay it on top of the indi.. Perhaps fasten it with a rubber band. :-D

Why bother with the HD tray, the screw holes don't line up with any modern HD anyway. ;-)
Jope, that sounds like a solution I would go with if I was keeping the 85MB HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The ghosting looks like it is caused by signal reflections in the VGA cable. This is due to mismatched impedances at one or both ends. Using a shorter, better quality cable should improve on things.
I may try and source a shorter cable, although I'm not sure what would constitute a better quality cable. The ones I have work fine on Lin/Mac/Win so I would need something besides the standard affair that came with these monitors.

Again, thank you to the donor of a CF card setup. I've actually been quite emotional since I received the PM. And my wife now gets why I love the Amiga scene so much Looking forward to returning the favour some time, for somebody.
Old 19 June 2015, 01:46   #12
NovaCoder

Just go with HDMI output my friend, retro doesn't always have to be that retro

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by NovaCoder; 19 June 2015 at 07:49.
Old 22 June 2015, 20:41   #13
trixster
Guru Meditating

I have exactly the same problem as you with regard to it saying there are no monitor drivers installed. Luckily the Retrofan confit files from the big Indivision thread work perfectly so I've not had to worry too much. It's annoying though.
Old 22 June 2015, 21:12   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I have exactly the same problem as you with regard to it saying there are no monitor drivers installed. Luckily the Retrofan confit files from the big Indivision thread work perfectly so I've not had to worry too much. It's annoying though.
Thanks for telling @trixter. In fact in the next AKReal 8.5 update I will include the drivers of the Indi MKII (thanks Jens) and using MorpheuZ it will make all the installation easy letting you select among three configs (versions) of mine (HighGFX 800x600, HighGFX 1024x768 or SuperPlus, all with full screen also for games) plus the original V1.2 and it will reflash the core by itself and all you need to have them working.

I tried also Mr.B config as I had interest in bymarcao's config, but it isn't full screen at all for games here, and I didn't like either how it looks on my 16:9 TV. Maybe I am missing something.

Edit: Anyway if it complains about the monitor drivers not installed, just search for them and drop them into SYS: Devs/Monitors and reboot.

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 June 2015 at 22:02.
Old 22 June 2015, 21:22   #15
trixster
Guru Meditating

I look forward to your update!

Is there any update on getting 50hz running correctly?
Old 22 June 2015, 21:40   #16
trixster
Guru Meditating

SuperPlus is the config I'm using at the moment, it seems to work perfectly and gives me a perfect size 800x600 desktop as well as full screen games.

In Devs/Monitors I have NTSC, PAL and SuperPlus.

In Storage/Monitors I have A2024, VGAOnly, Euro72, Euro36, Super72, Multiscan, DblNTSC and DblPal.

Do I need to shift some of these into Dev/Monitors in order to try different settings in the Indivision Config? I'm using Indivision AGA Mk2 Preferences V1.2 - is this the version I should be using or have I missed an oupdate?
Old 22 June 2015, 22:08   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, V1.2 was the latest. You only need other monitor drivers if you try to setup another configuration using the Indivision program in preferences.

SuperPlus is ok for me, but it has a problem with bootscreens as they are off centered. Using HighGFX with another of my configs you can manually select it to use 800x600 instead of 1024x768 and then the bootscreen looks centered... But then some of the windows of WB will be off centered. I prefer this last solution anyway.

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 June 2015 at 20:03.
Old 22 June 2015, 22:21   #18
trixster
Guru Meditating

I find the Indivision Preferences to be the most confusing program ever, but I don't really know what I'm doing with it!

What about 50Hz? My monitor will sync at 800x600 at 50 Hz so I would love a config which works over DVI for this mode.

Why would I use HighGfx 800x600 for the desktop when your SuperPlus 800x600 works fine already?

/edit: a quick search on here shows that 50hz 'might' be possible but is a bit of a ***** to setup. Do you know of any configs which are 800x600 in the desktop and 50hz fullscreen (or close to fullscreen) for games?

Last edited by trixster; 22 June 2015 at 22:39.
Old 22 June 2015, 22:47   #19
BarryB
Amigaholic

That Polymorph stuff looks a bit risky, especially if it's stuck to some SMD components and you pull it off without re-heating it!!
Old 22 June 2015, 22:56   #20
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Why would I use HighGfx 800x600 for the desktop when your SuperPlus 800x600 works fine already?
Good question. In fact I was now editing the post of my configs just to tell about this part:

Quote:
Edit: It looks like an incoherence as I say that you can install the SuperPlus config and use the HighGFX 800x600 mode, so why do you need to install the HighGFX config? Because they aren't the same, they will look the same but you only see the difference if you try to use a bootscreen program.

Quote:
/edit: a quick search on here shows that 50hz 'might' be possible but is a bit of a ***** to setup. Do you know of any configs which are 800x600 in the desktop and 50hz fullscreen (or close to fullscreen) for games?
I want to know that too. [ Show youtube player ] was/is promissing for me, and Mr.B made a config with it. I'm not sure now if I tried his version (Mr.B´s) or a former config as I don't find it. Anyway I've just emailed bymarcao to find out more info about his config.

Edit: Anyway watching the video you can notice it doesn't run fullscreen with games like in my configs, although the transition between screen modes is the best. If the config I've tried is the right one from Mr B, then it doesn't look right either using 16:9.

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 June 2015 at 23:31.