English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 February 2021, 22:20   #1
mcgeezer

Turbo Sprint RELEASED!!!

Turbo Sprint has been released... as of 7th May 2021

Get it from...

https://mcgeezer.itch.io/turbo-sprint

Last edited by mcgeezer; 06 May 2021 at 23:47. Reason: released.
Old 04 February 2021, 08:43   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
enjoy and please do not to feed back.
:-)
Old 04 February 2021, 08:45   #3
TjLaZer

Runs perfect on A1200 with Vampire 2!
Old 04 February 2021, 09:07   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

vampire 2 is cheating. It even runs Red Zone at an acceptable framerate
Old 04 February 2021, 09:40   #5
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
:-)
Fixed - thanks for letting me know.
Old 04 February 2021, 11:27   #6
nikosidis

Tried the game now. Works on my A1200 Blizzard 030, 16MB fast.
I noticed that the motor sound got some sparkling noise. Almost like playing some old vinyl record

It is starting be very nice

Keep on the great work.
Old 04 February 2021, 15:36   #7
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Just had a quick go. I'll have a proper fiddle around with it later but it's looking great, dude.

B
Old 05 February 2021, 00:34   #8
Havie

Had an extended play. First off - looking great! Tried on my 1200 where I had put in an 8meg ram upgrade instead of my 030 50mhz. Loaded an played ok once but then wouldn't load so may be the ram (I had bought it as faulty) or the disk.

SO then went to WinUAE.

Controls seem better than last beta I played but still feels very skittish and difficult to control. I will try the original on my Picade to compare.

Bugs I have found:

1) On the join game screen yo can repeatedly press accelerate to join and the animation repeats (may not be a bug but I think in the original you only get a thumbs up once)?

2) On a number of tracks (3 and 5 at least) there were times when I went through a barrier, perhaps side ways? Will see if I can replicate this or record a play through and capture it.

3) On track 4 with the wall that goes up and down on the top right, collision detection was off and I couldn't get passed, detecting the wall from maybe 8 pixels away.

4) Track 5 - jump works better but managed to fall off and survive.

5) Sometimes helicopter seems to put you on the wrong side of the screen when you crash (seems to remember a previous position).

6) Cars have an errant black pixel.

7) Mechanic has green hair (not sure if it was this colour in the original) but would guess if not then a simple copper colour change could fix this?

That's all for now - hope this is helpful. Will record a play through with some bugs which might help track them down.
Old 05 February 2021, 11:59   #9
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Had an extended play. First off - looking great! Tried on my 1200 where I had put in an 8meg ram upgrade instead of my 030 50mhz. Loaded an played ok once but then wouldn't load so may be the ram (I had bought it as faulty) or the disk.

SO then went to WinUAE.

Controls seem better than last beta I played but still feels very skittish and difficult to control. I will try the original on my Picade to compare.

Bugs I have found:

1) On the join game screen yo can repeatedly press accelerate to join and the animation repeats (may not be a bug but I think in the original you only get a thumbs up once)?

2) On a number of tracks (3 and 5 at least) there were times when I went through a barrier, perhaps side ways? Will see if I can replicate this or record a play through and capture it.

3) On track 4 with the wall that goes up and down on the top right, collision detection was off and I couldn't get passed, detecting the wall from maybe 8 pixels away.

4) Track 5 - jump works better but managed to fall off and survive.

5) Sometimes helicopter seems to put you on the wrong side of the screen when you crash (seems to remember a previous position).

6) Cars have an errant black pixel.

7) Mechanic has green hair (not sure if it was this colour in the original) but would guess if not then a simple copper colour change could fix this?

That's all for now - hope this is helpful. Will record a play through with some bugs which might help track them down.
Appreciate the feedback.

220 downloads in 24 hours... not bad.
Old 05 February 2021, 12:32   #10
Havie

Played the arcade version on my Picade and have concluded that it's not a game that works well with a joystick as the controls are pretty twitchy (I would say less twitchy than your version) as I did manage to win on a few tracks whereas yours I struggle to get round a lap!

Tried recording on my laptop but it struggled to keep up so need to do this on my desktop computer but will find time over the next few days and it would probably be helpful to show where the car goes through the barriers.

That's an impressive number of downloads in a short time - I do sometime wonder how may Amiga users virtual or real there are out there. Seems to be growing over time...
Old 05 February 2021, 12:54   #11
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Played the arcade version on my Picade and have concluded that it's not a game that works well with a joystick as the controls are pretty twitchy (I would say less twitchy than your version) as I did manage to win on a few tracks whereas yours I struggle to get round a lap!
The arcade game was made for steering wheels, you can't conclude that my port doesn't work well with joysticks because countless other racers used that as input.

Also - what do you mean by "twitchy" - I have literally know idea what it means?

If you find the game hard to complete a track then simply say so, this then adds weight to the game being far too diifficult.

Edit - I apologise if this has came over arsey and abrupt, I don't mean to be. What I would ask is just if you are going to play test it and report stuff then please try and be specific about problems in the game without game play opinions, it's all I ask. I'll need to tune the game play and polish it, what's important at the moment is that blatant bugs are addrssed.

Last edited by mcgeezer; 05 February 2021 at 14:18.
Old 05 February 2021, 17:25   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
[...] 220 downloads in 24 hours... not bad.
Had issue with my connection and had to retry 219 times
Old 05 February 2021, 19:55   #13
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
The arcade game was made for steering wheels, you can't conclude that my port doesn't work well with joysticks because countless other racers used that as input.

Also - what do you mean by "twitchy" - I have literally know idea what it means?

If you find the game hard to complete a track then simply say so, this then adds weight to the game being far too diifficult.

Edit - I apologise if this has came over arsey and abrupt, I don't mean to be. What I would ask is just if you are going to play test it and report stuff then please try and be specific about problems in the game without game play opinions, it's all I ask. I'll need to tune the game play and polish it, what's important at the moment is that blatant bugs are addrssed.
No - that's fine. And you are right, that's what I was thinking when playing the arcade game. Having a steering wheel meant the turning of your car was linked to the analogue nature of the steering wheel so it was easier to do quick turns whereas playing on a computer, you are rotating at a constant rate through a number of directions. There obviously needs to be some sort of compromise to make the game playable.

At the moment, the turn rate seems to quick so there appears to be over-steer so I kept going round in circles or end up doing a 180 and going back the way I had just come. It may be that slowing down the turning a little may make it more playable.

I will try on my real A1200 again and as I said do a WinUAE video of some of the bugs!

Of course, it could be my ability to play the game
Old 05 February 2021, 21:00   #14
Havie

Just had another few goes using my real 1200 and I put my 030 back in.

Playing using the keys is much better the joystick and seemed more controllable all round on a real Miggy so perhaps my WinUAE setup is quite right?

I find it impossible to dry straight so weave across the road - again not sure how you'd manage this with keys/joystick as with a wheel you would just put it in the right position.

The bounce off the walls seems really severe and I'm not sure but in the arcade, does a glancing blow just bounce you off the wall slightly and you are still vaguely pointing in the same direction but you version has a much more severe bounce and sort reverses your direction.

Last edited by Havie; 05 February 2021 at 21:09.
Old 05 February 2021, 21:04   #15
Havie

Watching this arcade play through you can see that hitting something head on, the car bounces backwards a bit and your game does this too but if you hit a wall from the side, in the arcade game you glance off but your direction doesn't change too much but in your version, you seem the angle of the bounce is too great and you end up almost travelling in the opposite direction.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Havie; 05 February 2021 at 21:12.
Old 05 February 2021, 21:29   #16
fgh

Tried it now, great work!

Notes so far
  • Sound: Lots of engine sounds - I'd prefer no engine sound for drones like on the arcade.
  • Steering bug: After turning, the car turns slightly in the opposite direction before going straght. (This is probably what he meant with twitchy above)
  • Player speed: Speed is noticeably faster than the arcade.
  • Difficulty: It's hard! Opponents are faster than on the arcade (plus steering bug didn't help)
  • Banked turns: They do make a difference on the Arcade, so would be cool to include them (Turns direction quicker)
  • Puddles: The car spins a lot faster on them than on the arcade, and doesn't seem to factor in car speed.
  • Credits: Is DJ Metune's last name spelled correctly?
  • Wall hits: Wall hits are a bit unpredictable now. On the arcade you bump out with same angle as you hit, unless you hit almost head on, then you bounce back from where you came, reversing to a stop. Here sometimes car changes direction very fast and continues with same speed. Perhaps you're adding 90 degrees too much in some scenarios? Not sure, as many hits are fine..
  • Track glitch: On the track where you can jump outside the track to make a shortcut just before the finish line, my car disappeared when landing on the grass.
  • Round start: All players start immediately on arcade. (Two opponents have a delay here)
  • Scores page: The score numbers have backrounds that almost match the background color, but not quite. Plus number backgrounds turn black just before screen disappears.
  • (Edit) Seethrough wall: When passing player 4's lap counter etc, car becomes visible behind the digits. (Although there is a wall in front)

All well meant! Great work, you're an inspiration!

Last edited by fgh; 05 February 2021 at 21:43.
Old 06 February 2021, 13:44   #17
fryguy

I tried it on my A1200 with B1260 by booting from floppy, I got to the start screen and could select track but after I did I got a Guru, was gonna try it again and take a photo of the Guru but then it didn't crash.

(My floppy drive seems very unreliable as when I tried running the game the third time I got a read error from the disk, so you probably won't have to worry about it. I'm gonna try and see if I can get it running from the hd instead.)

EDIT: extracted the files to RAM: instead and booted without S-S, then I could get it running (at least one track, after that I got a black image but that's maybe normal)

Last edited by fryguy; 06 February 2021 at 13:52.
Old 06 February 2021, 14:51   #18
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
I tried it on my A1200 with B1260 by booting from floppy, I got to the start screen and could select track but after I did I got a Guru, was gonna try it again and take a photo of the Guru but then it didn't crash.

(My floppy drive seems very unreliable as when I tried running the game the third time I got a read error from the disk, so you probably won't have to worry about it. I'm gonna try and see if I can get it running from the hd instead.)

EDIT: extracted the files to RAM: instead and booted without S-S, then I could get it running (at least one track, after that I got a black image but that's maybe normal)
As per the game notes - running it from your harddrive is not recommended and is at your own risk!
Old 06 February 2021, 21:46   #19
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Looking forward to trying this. Is there an option to use mouse control? Seems like a mouse should allow fast spinning like the arcade wheel?
Old 06 February 2021, 22:09   #20
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post

I got that when copied to HD too so it's a choice you make - slow loading from floppy or one track from HD and reboot.