English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 December 2008, 20:41   #1
mortismaker

Amiga Forever help

Hi everyone,

I have one really stupid question.

When I boot directly from the Amiga Forever 2008 cd (KX light) and I am in workbench; how do I open adf images stored on other mediums (aka hdd, usb flash drives, etc...) I can't figure out how to either mount them, or access them to select the adf file.

Thanks all,
Mortis...

Old 05 December 2008, 01:03   #2
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Does pressing F12 work?
Old 05 December 2008, 14:12   #3
mortismaker

Rabbit80,

Thank you for the reply. F12 does bring up the menu but it doesn't have a menu selectable path. I can type in the path but it doesn't seem to have the proper mapping of the devices (I can't type dh0 or /mnt to access the files). Also, I'm not sure how one would reset the emulator to load a game that needs to be boot directly to the adf.

Thanks again,
Mortis...

Old 05 December 2008, 21:45   #4
onkelarie

when you want to boot directly from a floppy, press f12, then go to the menu 'floppy disks' and then click on the button to the right of the button 'eject'. Using the file selector that pops up, open the adf of your choice. Then you should be fine. To reset, press f12 again, and go to the button bottom left, which says reset.
Old 05 December 2008, 21:59   #5
mortismaker

onkelarie,

Thanks so much for the info. I hope you don't mind if I ask one more question. I can't figure out how to select a different path for the adf files. I'm not sure that I am making sense with this but let me try to explain.

I have the adf's on a usb key or on another cd and would like to start Amiga Forever live from the cd. When I go to select the adf the menu doesn't give a directory structure. The menu only allows you to type in the name of the adf. Do you know how to specify the path at that menu? I assume it wants the exact path like so: \mnt\sda1\adfs\adfname.adf. The biggest issue I am having is that I can't get AF to recognize a hdd partition, an usb memory stick, or a different CD. I am not even sure that I can mount a USB key in that environment since it is not detected and I can't get to a Linux prompt.

Thanks again,
Mortis

Old 28 October 2016, 15:13   #6
Sinphaltimus

Same issue in 2016. How did you eventually resolve it?

I simply don't know how to load adf files into my AF 2016 HDD installation via KX Light.

EDIT: OK so I gave it a wholehearted shot and this is what I came up with.

AF installed as CD to HDD via KX Lite:
You can't use adfs.

You can use CDs if you copy the CD0 DOSDriver from storage to devs and reboot with the cd inserted.

So what should be on the CD if you can't use ADFs then what's the point? Easy on windows.

Go get ADF Opus and install it.
Use it to open up and adf file and copy the contents to a windows directory. Burn that directory to the cd (well as many as you can stand doing this to).

It does not solve the bootable adf issue but it can at least be used to install programs.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 28 October 2016 at 17:29.