English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 July 2021, 21:14   #21
wazza

Confirm the fussiness around CF cards from my experience too. I think the only one I got working was a silver Sandisk 4gb. On the machine with the Furia I use an SD to IDE adapter instead, with a Sandisk SD card - that's been working without issues for about 4 years for me.
Old 26 July 2021, 22:33   #22
cjwhiting1982

Yes it seems to be ok without the furia but with only qmb chip expansion couldn't really play many games.
I've just spent 3-4 hours getting the HstWB installed with WB3.1.4 and the damn thing won't work.
I've been using Sandisk Ultra SD cards, I dont own any cf cards because I knew they probably wouldn't work with the furia. I'm going to retry the HstWB with WB3.1 and with the extra shit HstWB throws in hopefully it'll work.

I managed to boot into the boot config and enable the furia and tried mapping rom, it reboots and then the HD light is solid. So another crash.
Old 26 July 2021, 22:41   #23
nikosidis

I would try some other SD card. SanDisc is a good brand but there could still be something Furia, Amiga do not like about that SD card. Maybe even the IDE adapter you are using is no good with Furia.
I see no reason why Furia would work better with SD cards than CF cards.
Personally I use a DOM disk without issues.
The DOM disk go directly on the IDE controller so no problem regarding any adapter.
I do not know what hstWB is but Furia work with standard 3.1 so I see no reason why
that should solve anything.
I suggest as you try to solve this to stay away from any patch or later workbench, rom than 3.1

Last edited by nikosidis; 26 July 2021 at 22:48.
Old 27 July 2021, 12:10   #24
cjwhiting1982

Ok so saw a previous thread saying that Sandisk Ultra SD cards weren't that good. Just to clarify I have 1 x 16gb sandisk ultra and 1 x 16gb sandisk ultra plus. I'm expecting a 16gb sandisk extreme sd to arrive today.
Both of my sandisk ultra SDs boot but crash later on at some point.

For you guys out there that are successfully running SDs with a furia what card specifically are you using? I really don't want to take a step back and buy a CF adapter and try the minefield of CF cards. The cheapest sandisk cf card I saw was around £20 for a sandisk.
Old 27 July 2021, 12:52   #25
Superman

I am just running a basic Sandisk 8GB SD card in mine. Its been perfect for me unlike a few CF cards I tried.

It looks identical to this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sta.../dp/B000UZL0YU

Maybe the size of the card is the issue? I havent tried any bigger than 8GB.
Old 27 July 2021, 13:00   #26
nikosidis

From Amigastore.eu

https://amigastore.eu/480-furia-4033...iga-600.html#/

They sell with CF card that is compatible as option. They use Sandisk but does not say what model.

Have you done a clean install with your A600 from workbench disks without Furia or have you used Win-UAE or something?
Old 27 July 2021, 15:06   #27
cjwhiting1982

I'm struggling to find 8gb cards, 16gb seem to be the norm for smallest cards at the minute. I do have a 4gb Sandisk sd card but i couldn't boot from it, its a class 2.

I don't have all the physical disks for WB3.1, i'm missing the install disk so i've had to do it all in WinUAE. I've got WB2 but the install disk is bad because it floppy drive makes a horrendous sound while reading it.

I ordered a Gotek nearly 2 weeks ago so i'm just waiting for that to arrive so i can try ditching the WinUAE method and do it all on the Amiga.

I tried that HstWB install twice now, i can't do the 8/16gb image installs with any other OS. It only works with WB3.1.4 and everytime i complete installing everything and burn it to SD it just fails to boot. I'm not sure if i need the physical rom for 3.1.4 but it is supposed to run on rom 3.1 (40.063) from what i've read online.

Its a shame i can't get HstWB running on 3.1, always get an error asking me to install "LIBS/workbench.library".
Old 28 July 2021, 10:40   #28
PDrill

I had terrible problems with my Furia when I got it, and I did anything and everything possible but no help. Sometimes worked for hours, sometimes didn't even start. When everything had been done (it took months of trying every now and then, this wasn't a hurried project) I consentrated on the CPU connecting socket.

I took a Dremel and grinded about one millimeter of the socket so it went that much deeper in the cpu and that did the trick. Now the Furia sits very tight and not a single problem after that.
Old 28 July 2021, 12:56   #29
vatastala

As you can see, I have a Furia rev. 12b with and an SD card reader where I put every SD card I have without problems (2, 8, 16 GB, TDK, Sandisk...). I'm able to run HstWB with every configuration I want, and install WB 3.1.4.

The only difference is that I have a Cloanto ROM 3.x, that looking on different thread many people says that It cannot work with Hyperion OS, but for me works very very well. I didn't add any workbench.library, even If Cloanto says:

Required "workbench.library". Because workbench.library is not part of 3.X ROMs, a "Libs/workbench.library" file, as included in the Classic Support 'Workbench 3.1 disk set by Cloanto' and the 'Workbench 3.1 Compact Flash by Cloanto', must be present on the boot disk. This requirement is in common with later 3.1 ROMs by Commodore and ESCOM, as used with the Amiga 4000T model.

Because I'm not a super expert user, If you ask me how does It work I answer I TOTALLY DON'T KNOW. I prepare everything with HstWB as the video I linked to you, even If I start WinUAE installation with 3.1 or 3.1.4 ROM is the same, at the end It works and that's It!

I would try to help you, and also understand why for me everything works!!!

immagini per internet
Old 28 July 2021, 17:37   #30
cjwhiting1982

PDrill I might actually try that. Sand it down a little bit see if that makes a better connection.
vatastala I got a cloanto 3.1 rom as well. I can use 3.1.4 without furia but when I pop furia in and just yellow boot errors.

So today my gotek arrived so I could do the install on the amiga rather than winuae. Took the furia out, installed wb3.1.4. Setup a 500mb partition and a 3.7gb partition. The rest unallocated. Installed the 3.1.4 update disk. Set both partitions up as pfs3aio and reformatted both partitions and set maxtransfer settings and juggled the WB files back to boot partition.
It runs fine, made up an adf on winuae and added furiatune to copy over with the gotek. Got it all setup, typed in "furiatune ?"in shell. Got message "no furia expansion detected". Happy with that.
3.1.4 was running fine.

Add the Furia

Turn on

Yellow boot error, followed by red boot error. So this points to kickstart rom errors.

This was exactly the same result when I installed 3.1.4 through winuae.

Now I'm going to experiment with the startup-sequence, typed a shadowrom line I saw on another post and that didn't do anything.

If anyone can let me know what their s-s lines say so I can try that I'd appreciate it.
Old 28 July 2021, 17:39   #31
cjwhiting1982

That's my furia attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210726_092831.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	72682  
Old 28 July 2021, 17:50   #32
cjwhiting1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatastala View Post
" I prepare everything with HstWB as the video I linked to you, even If I start WinUAE installation with 3.1 or 3.1.4 ROM is the same, at the end It works and that's It!

That HstWB is pretty cool but I could only install it with 3.1.4 which my furia hates and won't boot. I'm hoping to try it again with 3.1 and try get it working.
Old 28 July 2021, 19:17   #33
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhiting1982 View Post

That HstWB is pretty cool but I could only install it with 3.1.4 which my furia hates and won't boot. I'm hoping to try it again with 3.1 and try get it working.
Furia should not give you trouble if you have not enabled anything like shadow rom.
That is only to speed things up and to tweak the card with FPU on/off etc.
Therefore I would leave startup-sequence alone for now.
Old 28 July 2021, 19:42   #34
cjwhiting1982

I'll try a basic 3.1 install using the gotek.
Old 28 July 2021, 22:20   #35
cjwhiting1982

This is the underside of the furia, doesnt look like I can sand down the socket. It's already been sanded quite low.
The jumper on the left, does anyone know if that's the default setting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210728_211647.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	72684  
Old 28 July 2021, 22:48   #36
vatastala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhiting1982 View Post
This is the underside of the furia, doesnt look like I can sand down the socket. It's already been sanded quite low.
The jumper on the left, does anyone know if that's the default setting?
Yes It's correct.
Old 28 July 2021, 23:07   #37
cjwhiting1982

I've given up on this card. Whenever I install it workbench will run then just hang and then have to reboot.
I dont know what the hell it could be.
Connection to the 68k, not liking the SD media, needing the correct software installed on hard drive to make it behave and stop crashing. I've wasted so many hours installing different versions of workbench just for it to crash.
It's out now, back in its box till whenever I can be arsed to have another look at it.
On plus side gotek has been a real joy making everything easy. Might pick up a fast ram expansion for cpu. If that goes balls up, then that could give me some indicator on what is wrong with this amiga.
Old 29 July 2021, 21:31   #38
PDrill

Oh no, it wasn't just a bit sanding, it was pure grinding with a powertool. If I remember right, I took up to 1.5mm away from the socket and after that no problems at all. I also dug the bottom of the socket thinner and in some places it ended up even disappearing totally but that doesn't matter :-D

The starting point was quite the same as in cjwhiting1982's photo a few posts ago so I'd say go get a Dremel and start grinding. Unfortunately I was so excited that I have no useful pictures, but I can say that it doesn't look nice any more :-P
Old 30 July 2021, 10:58   #39
cjwhiting1982

Yeah i don't fancy using a dremel or anything like that, can't do with a bit more bad luck haha.

I messaged the supplier last night and they recommended i try a different PSU. I completely over looked the PSU. I've order a Meanwell RT50B to go inside the standard PSU brick but whilst i'm waiting for it to arrive i have a spare ATX PSU i'm going to test.

Measuring voltage from PSU pins i'm getting
11.2v, -10.2 and 5.1v

Last edited by cjwhiting1982; 30 July 2021 at 11:30.
Old 10 August 2021, 17:48   #40
Torti-the-Smurf

We salute you (for thosew who tamed the furia)

Here are a few Tipps!

1) STICK to 3.1 kickstart and a 3.1/3.5 or a 3.9 Workbench.
Why would you bloat youre OS and stuck data on the CF that you will never need.

Besides, you will never get a more stable system than 3.1 but if that is too ugly just use the newicon app. (or 3.5 or 3.9)

Dont get me wrong, every new amiga development is welcomed and a good thing, but 3.1.4 and 3.2 makes only sense imho for Big Box AMIGAs/ RTG systems or RTG emulated systems.

You only want to play games and maybe some protracker/deluxe paint action. So, no need for anything fancy. Keep it classic

2) USE PFS3aio Filesystem. It makes everything so much faster.
Its crazy how snappy everything is. 2,5 MB per second is MORE than enough.

Man, my workbench is loaded in 2 seconds

3) USE PeterK´s Icon Library. You will not believe how fast the icons will load This is one off the absolute essentials. You will fly through youre icons

4) A WHDLOAD Hint ! : Dont use mindless every new slave that comes up.
Every new slave brings also new potential problems with them.

If something works and has the support you want; (like 2buton jumps or something like that) stick to it.

A few examples on top of my head.

The Newest Elfmania Slave will not work correctly with the Furia.
Dosent matter if you write Cache, Nocache, or ExpChip
(and those are the most powerful tooltypes there are; for furia users and such )

The Immortal from EA only works with the oldest slave there is, otherwise the Sound is totally screwed up !!

Shuffle Puck Cafe will not work correctly (Laggy Paddle)
with any WHDLOAD slave i tried and the only non WHDLoad HD version that doses work ist this one down below.

https://mega.nz/folder/gdozjZxL#uI5S...older/ANITxYpB

In a few cases JST works better.

If something has a native install, use that.
( i do LOVE WHDLOAD. Its one of the useful/best software ever written on Amiga, but it is not always be needed)

5) If you use the ShadowRom function (witch is very cool) be aware that the setup is not as stable anymore. Because the Memory can not be protected and some software can screw up the kickstart in fastram.

But thats just an old amiga problem....

Jay Miner explains (skip to 25:27)

[ Show youtube player ]

So, be aware of that, that some demos or Whdload slaves can screw up the ShadowRom/map Rom. Just wanted to let you know.

6) Additional... Just as a lttle Bonus.. if you want to have some little extra "performance "
Use Systempatch 3.3 beta Sante nocciolino with following settings ...

Systempatch ND DynamicDMA Quiet -TLSF

put that line into youre user-startup.
It increase the ScreenFillRate pretty good.
Sure, you will only notice it in Workbench or demanding demos/games like Gloom/Nemac4 (witch can be played on the furia)... but this is optional

7) hmmm, i can think of anybody else on top of my head right now.
I think i covered the bare essentials.

Greetings and all the best.

8) Here is just a snipped of my A600 Furia in action, tamed of course (multipart archive)

https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.001
https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.002
https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.003
https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.004

Greetings, Torti :roll

PS:Those are just my opinions of couse; whatever makes you happy, makes me happy

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 16 August 2021 at 13:14. Reason: adding Videos from tamed Furia :)