English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 July 2011, 16:19   #1
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Monitors dying :(

Black 1084S went a couple of years ago. switched off, never came on again
1084 on my c128 died a few weeks back (no sign of life when switched on)
CM8833-II - screen went mental a couple of days ago, and it makes a real high pitched sound inside when switched on now - black screen).

Got one working CM8833-II left.. ..

What do you suggest ?

Probably not worth repairing, as you can pick up em pretty cheap, but annoying. Pretty worthless broken anyway.

not really after support, but just wanted to post my frustrations here. annoying to lose so many monitors recently.

my 27" NEC multisync 4PG needs recapping and maintenance too. Wonder how much that will cost.

I guess I should go and get some lcdtvs, but the one I have already doesnt give the best picture. do you think I can take my a1200 into pcworld or something and try some out?
Old 23 July 2011, 16:28   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
The LCD TV (Non HD) that I've been using for the last 2 years for my Amiga's via RGB Scart just died yesterday

It was a great screen too, no flicker via RGB Scart with Interlaced modes & great for my consoles too.
Old 23 July 2011, 16:32   #3
BuZz

RIP damn hardware! sounds like a good picture. my lcdtv has a interlace "shimmer" to it, that i think perhaps makes tv look better, but looks crappy for amiga (its ok for games but). looks a bit like if you use a 1084 monitor, and switched the interlace flag on without having interlaced bitplanes. I guess caused by whatever video processing chip it has - as the lcdtvs overlay menus are rock solid.
Old 23 July 2011, 17:20   #4
Dreedo

I have a 22" LCD HDTV Goodmans that works with my 500+ and 600 fine.
Old 23 July 2011, 17:50   #5
BuZz

which model # ?

one of the problems is, someone finds say a good LG screen, you go to buy it and its no longer available, replaced with a newer model number (but similar looking), and then you find the new monitor isn't as good. I'll take an a600 into a few shops or something ;-)

despite my issues with my current lcdtv it's still usable, but id like one with a more stable display, especially if im going to buy a couple of them for c64/amiga etc.
Old 23 July 2011, 17:52   #6
willbloke

I've been using an LG M227WDP with Stedys SCART cable , pretty good picture and it's a TV, and if you're really desperate you can plug a Mac or a PC in as well !
Old 23 July 2011, 18:11   #7
BuZz

has anyone seen any lcd above 19" with a 4:3 ratio? Who decided widescreen was better for computers. for films maybe, but for coding, i need height not width!
Old 23 July 2011, 18:58   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

Now even netbooks have widescreen...
Old 23 July 2011, 18:58   #9
willbloke

Not for a few years I'm afraid .
It's all widescreen now .

I'll have a look on Monday , but I'm pretty sure you can run the LG in "narrow screen" if you want , so code in 4:3 and watch Freeview in 16:9 .
Old 23 July 2011, 19:10   #10
Dreedo

I think my Goodmans is an LD22#### can't remember all of it.

I just use an RCA cable for mine, just the usual you would use with any electronic appliance.
Old 23 July 2011, 19:19   #11
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

sad but true. most CRTs die because of plastic. the voltage converters inside usually are cast in plastic, which is meant as an insulator to prevent shortening the coil. if these would be ceramic, they would last "forever". but heat makes the plastic porous, because the plasticisers evaporate.

there is not much one can do, and getting these parts replaced is very costly and usually more expensive than buying a new CRT. looking at CRTs and LCDs at work... there's a reason CRT was invented. still much more responsive, more vibrant colors... but flat is modern.

you should find somebody that does repairs. maybe two or more can be frankensteined into one working model.
Old 23 July 2011, 20:05   #12
daxb

Some years my 1084S died so I bought one from a friend. Some time later it died too. Luckily I could repair one with the parts of the other. Problem for the future is to get a working 1084S. Otherwise a LCD-TV must be bought.
Old 23 July 2011, 23:05   #13
orange

@BuZz

many LCDs have an option to rotate by 90 deg, but I guess you know that already..
Old 23 July 2011, 23:10   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Sony Triniton FD/Wega Line CRTs, e.g. KV21xxxx. The last great picture tube from Sony. Sure, application user/programmer probably wants a monitor, but there is nearly nothing better for lores games.
Old 23 July 2011, 23:41   #15
Photon

My #1 tip for someone with a dying monitor will always be to check the switches before throwing them in the bin!

They simply fail mechanically inside, giving some in between state or never reaching the on state.

On 3 TVs/monitors last 20 years, all I had to do was swap or solder (permanently ON) the power switches to fix them - on RGB monitors there are often more switches though, to switch analog/digital RGB and input sources, which of course if the switch was bad could give the same symptoms as a bad on/off switch - no picture.

RGB circuitry can also go bad, so check with composite to get a good diagnose, and vice versa. With a composite enhancer it could be quite good even without RGB.

If you've done all that and it's up to measuring the kV (failed power supply), you might as well skip one step (and one risk of getting electrical shock) and throw it in the bin.

The best way when you have 0 real monitors left is to convince a store clerk to let you attach a PAL device (Amiga, PS1, PAL DVD player with PAL DVD Disc) to a number of screens to pick one out in a store. If they won't let you, have them promise to let you return it if it can't handle PAL.
Old 24 July 2011, 17:16   #16
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
Black 1084S went a couple of years ago. switched off, never came on again
1084 on my c128 died a few weeks back (no sign of life when switched on)
CM8833-II - screen went mental a couple of days ago, and it makes a real high pitched sound inside when switched on now - black screen).
Hi, I have got 2 1084s monitors here at home with the same problems. Both making high pitched noises and just a black screen. Check out the following links for some interesting info on this -

http://www.amiga.org/forums/archive/...hp/t-4087.html
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=13372

This is interesting -

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/...ault_Diagnosis

Found this on net. Try this link for CM8833-II repair manual.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RY7GJ782

This is 1084s monitor repair manual in pdf -
http://16-bits.org/amiga/1084s/1084s...ice_manual.pdf

Now, Please remember that there is DANGEROUS high voltage inside monitors!
Old 24 July 2011, 17:58   #17
BuZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
@BuZz

many LCDs have an option to rotate by 90 deg, but I guess you know that already..
my new lcd for my desktop machine can rotate (physically), it doesnt automatically rotate the picture though, which would need to be done from my gfxcard. Are you saying some lcdtvs have automatic picture rotation also ? still, I wouldnt want to constantly be rotating the monitor. I just like 4:3 ratio monitors on my older machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevsurv View Post
Now, Please remember that there is DANGEROUS high voltage inside monitors!
Thanks for the info. I certainly will have a read - although I'm not sure I want to mess with a monitor, im more of a software guy than hardware :-) I'll probably just try and give the broken monitors away and buy some replacements

Last edited by TCD; 24 July 2011 at 18:46.
Old 24 July 2011, 18:55   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Group buy.

I've got 3-4 monitors which need working on. Lets hire that local TV guy to fix all of them?
Old 24 July 2011, 19:07   #19
willbloke

Heads up people .

Voltages in a CRT monitor will kill you to death , or worse .

Really , don't poke about unless you really know what you are doing !
Old 24 July 2011, 19:11   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I've heard that most of my life. It's not that bad.

Switch it off for a few hours and you'll be fine. Discharge with a ground wire if you're worried.

If you have to work on one live put one hand in your back pocket.