English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 December 2019, 00:41   #541
digitalMedic

I am not sure how I did it, but I got everything installed and it seems to be running stable. The only difference I can think of is that I let the system reboot itself at the end of the install. Prior, I would close UAE and restart it rather than click the Finish button because it recommended a cold reset.

Thanks White and Toni for your help
Old 17 December 2019, 00:43   #542
digitalMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@digitalMedic

Do not download it directly from AMIUPDATE and then try to install it directly it will not go well in this way.
Connected to Hyperion download the update1 package apart with any windows browser move it to the "Work" partition and from there upgrade everything will work fine.
Choosing SYS: as destination
I had it on my PC drive so I just mounted the directory as a hard file and pulled it over that way.

Quote:
THIS IS NOT CORRECT, you need to update this before starting the updates:
SYS: Prefs / Updates /
and at the server entry add this and activate it:

amiupdate.codebench.co.uk

and then re-run AMIUPDATE
you will find many other updates available
Thanks, I was not aware of this.

You have been really helpful
Old 17 December 2019, 10:58   #543
White

@digitalMedic

Well I'm glad, in the support app section you will find a series of suggestions for 4.1 the guide is not definitive "the one in pdf format", but it contains many useful suggestions.
While in the videos you find interesting ideas to have fun with 4.1
I had thought of opening a blog dedicated to the emulation of 4.1 but for personal reasons I never really dedicated myself to it.
As a last suggestion, configure AHI with the sound card you decided to use and then launch the mixer and save your sound card.
On reboot you will find a mixer update this is important for sound quality.
As I said there are many other things to add, a definitive guide would be needed but my life has ups and downs.
At the moment I have created an automatic installation script, but I would like to create something more complete.
On the other hand if you buy AmigaOS 4.1 FE it's because you want to use it mica just to install it :-)
Old 17 December 2019, 11:15   #544
digitalMedic

Haha...yes. I really do not use my Amigas for the 'traditional' reasons of playing retro games, although I do like them. I like trying to figure out how to upgrade, update, and fix them. Right now, I am trying to figure out why my A4000T has random crashes. Good times.
Old 17 December 2019, 12:02   #545
digitalMedic

Which sound card selection can I use with AmigaOS 4.1FE or do I just not configure one in WinUAE and use whatever is builtin?
Old 17 December 2019, 12:14   #546
White

@digitalMedic

Expanding select ES1370pci and download the sb128 drivers from osdepot.
There are other options this is the standard one, take a look at this pdf:

https://tinyurl.com/wtlnzxr

otherwise we risk going OT

OT
Nice to still have real amiga hardware.
I unfortunately don't own any real hardware.
On the other hand I have been 10 years away from computer science.
Only one AcerONE 10 'inch computer did it all.
Hackintosh, Debian, Aros, Windows etc.
Including playing diablo 2 with activated diablo-run bots.
And recently I was closer to computer science 4-5 years
Well this is life, the important thing is to live it :-)
Old 22 April 2020, 23:11   #547
fl@sh

Hi Tony,
I have two questions to you, I hope you'll answer both with some argumentations.

What about to improve the UAEGFX card for OS4? Picasso IV is generally faster and more system compatible, I think you could spent some time even on uae gfx card and let users to implement 3d and full compositing support.

Past months I asked you even for an update of QEMU engine who moves all Ppc emulation stuff under WinUae.
It was based on a old 2.x version, but today we are arrived to an 5.0 version with many bugfixes and speed improvements. I think WinUAE could be really a valid alternative to all high cost PPC Amiga boards. It could be useful also to call back a lot of old users letting them to try latest Amiga generation software with their PC.

Many Amiga guys are happy to play old games from 1986 but there are a lot of people who used (and are using still today) Amiga for productivity software and/or for own passion.
Old 22 April 2020, 23:20   #548
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl@sh View Post
It could be useful also to call back a lot of old users letting them to try latest Amiga generation software with their PC.
Wow, that's one massive assumption right there

Personally I have no interest what-so-ever... and I would guess that the majority of Amiga users couldn't care less about 4.1; or 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.0 for that matter.

You'd just use Windows instead for productivity tasks, as I do...
Old 23 April 2020, 10:41   #549
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Wow, that's one massive assumption right there

Personally I have no interest what-so-ever... and I would guess that the majority of Amiga users couldn't care less about 4.1; or 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.0 for that matter.

You'd just use Windows instead for productivity tasks, as I do...
Fl@sh's suggestion is a good one. Surely any serious Amiga user is going to be using a modern incarnation of its OS, ie. OS3.9 or above, rather than obsolete buggy versions that won't even run much of the software. Personally I have no interest what-so-ever in 2.0-3.1, the same surely applies to the majority of modern Amiga users.

No wonder you would rather use Windows instead if you are comparing it against OS3.1; so would I.

Last edited by Minuous; 23 April 2020 at 10:49.
Old 23 April 2020, 10:51   #550
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You do know that offtopic is not allowed in my threads, especially those that get out of control instantly. You (as in everyone) should have known it before replying!
Old 23 April 2020, 11:01   #551
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Answer to actual technical question: I don't really care about it anymore, it was more or less a proof of concept and to make BPPC boot (which runs PPC code early in boot)

You need to find someone who wants to work with QEMU or is interested in PPC, sorry.

uaegfx: also not going to happen, OS4 display API is yet another secret and I am not interested in 3D anyway. This is also someone else's problem.
Old 23 April 2020, 13:48   #552
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

As the creator/maintainer of QEMU-UAE, I can also chip in with:

I did make a small effort to update to a newer QEMU version a good while ago, from 2.2 to a later 2.x version. QEMU-UAE is coded against internal functions in QEMU which is not stable (i.e. subject to change between versions), and the internals had changed to a point where updating was not trivial. This means quite a bit of work and hair-pulling to make any update work - probably.

And even though QEMU generally has seen performance improvements, there isn't necessarily the case that an updated QEMU-UAE plugin with PPC emulation on x86 would see any substantial improvement. The improvements in QEMU could be related to other things.

So the short answer is that I'm not that interested in updating it either. For my part, QEMU-UAE is in maintenance mode - and I plan to continue doing for example minor tweaks to fix compilation issues with newer compilers.
Old 23 April 2020, 19:25   #553
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Fl@sh's suggestion is a good one. Surely any serious Amiga user is going to be using a modern incarnation of its OS, ie. OS3.9 or above, rather than obsolete buggy versions that won't even run much of the software. Personally I have no interest what-so-ever in 2.0-3.1, the same surely applies to the majority of modern Amiga users.

No wonder you would rather use Windows instead if you are comparing it against OS3.1; so would I.
You clearly missed the word majority in my post...

Amiga 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.0 / 4.1 users are the minority

...I know sometimes accepting reality can be difficult, but please do try.

Anyway, as you can see from both Toni's and Frode's response; they are both not interested.

Last edited by DamienD; 23 April 2020 at 23:07. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 23 April 2020, 20:46   #554
White

Hi,
I have a lot of respect for the work being done on winuae.
This allowed me to use Amiga again
So much so that I went to reread things I had forgotten to use it again.
The 3.xx is perfect from my point of view.
It was the amiga I had always dreamed of since I was a boy.

My approach to winuae was with AmigaForever + AmigaOS4.1FE
AmikitX Enchanced Software etc. it is still now i buy software for amigaos this for personal passion.

This started more or less in 2016.

I must also say this in a completely personal and passionate way for Amiga

I haven't found the software around the web but I bought it.

When I read that amigaforever declared that amigaos 4.1 was also sold separately because it worked, I bought it.

Too bad that you can only install and open the windows and the calculator and little else :-)

Nothing wrong with that.
On the other hand it is a tool to use AmigaOS 4.1 and it is not a pre-packaged software.

I'm happy with how it works, of course I made many changes and I enjoy it.

So sometimes participating in the forum I spontaneously ask some questions about 4.1
But to tell you the truth, I have not yet seen anyone use 4.1 completely so as to ask specific questions about it and to report some small adjustments that could be made.

At most I saw the installation and opening of the windows.

So much so that they also wrote a book on how to use it :-)

Personally I could write an encyclopedia :-)

I am sorry that few use it precisely for this reason the questions and doubts regarding this topic are few.

But I see that its operation is a good pity not to make some small corrections even on the current qemu used.

I apologize I wanted to express my opinion.
And explain why I ask questions about 4.1
But using it this way for me is like using the real amiga from a long time ago to push it further.
When LowLevel had written "AmiWarp" in his time it was very nice at the time he had given it to those who participated in the IRC channels on the Amiga.

I thank everyone who works on this project.
And thanks again for your work.

Last edited by White; 24 April 2020 at 21:47. Reason: update
Old 23 April 2020, 20:51   #555
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Just to make it very clear:

This thread is not for discussion about why you should use OS4 (or not) or why some OS is (supposedly) better or worse than some other OS.
Old 24 April 2020, 09:05   #556
White

Toni,
This I understood and it is thanks to you that winuae has overcome many barriers.

Why not use older versions of winuae of a few years and earlier versions.

So you can see if it is the OS that works well or it is winUAE that makes it work.
Obviously it is winUAE that makes 3.xx work very well.

Mine is a constructive and praiseworthy speech for your work.

small steps could also be taken with 4.1
I admit it is complicated but if nobody reports on 4.1 and reports small bugs it cannot be improved even with the current version of qemu that uses winUAE.

This occasionally discourages me from asking you some questions about 4.1
but the videos are there in the app support section where you can see that it works, of course with some limitations but they work.

And I believe that with your skills, it could improve a lot even with the current version without distorting what winUAE was born for.

Your PPC experiment has succeeded very well and can be used

I speak as a simple amigaos enthusiast and I have a lot of respect for your work.
Old 26 November 2021, 12:21   #557
Ratteler

Any chance of an ARM version that would work on RaspberryPi4?
Old 26 November 2021, 15:18   #558
amigafreak68k

You should read here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108748
Old 26 November 2021, 22:06   #559
Ratteler

Sorry. I thought this was QEMU for PPC Amiga emulation. Now I understand that this is 68K emulation on a real PPC, not PPC on an ARM.
Old 27 November 2021, 11:44   #560
Tomislav

No. This is PPC emulation in WinUAE. But only as PPC card (Blizzard PPC for A1200 or Cyberstorm PPC for A4000).