English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 28 April 2021, 16:52   #1
stylon

HTML Editor for Amiga?

Was wondering if anyone can recommend an HTML editor for the Amiga (OS3)?

I'm not looking for anything fancy just a text editor that can colour code HTML tags to make things easier to follow?

I found a program called HTMLEdit on Aminet which says it does... but as soon as you start editing a page the colour coding goes out the window unless you quit and re-load. It's not scanning for tags in real-time I guess.

Thanks.
Old 28 April 2021, 17:57   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Have you tried Annotate?
Old 28 April 2021, 18:53   #3
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Have you tried Annotate?
No not tried that one before. Have just downloaded and installed it, though I can't see any way to get it to recognise HTML tags.

I can see a couple of add-ons for it on Aminet but they seem to be just for programming languages and not HTML?
Old 28 April 2021, 18:58   #4
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

How about GoldEd? It does syntax high-lighting. Not sure also for HTML.
Old 28 April 2021, 19:02   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
Was wondering if anyone can recommend an HTML editor for the Amiga (OS3)?

I'm not looking for anything fancy just a text editor that can colour code HTML tags to make things easier to follow?

I found a program called HTMLEdit on Aminet which says it does... but as soon as you start editing a page the colour coding goes out the window unless you quit and re-load. It's not scanning for tags in real-time I guess.

Thanks.
Read here:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66787
Old 28 April 2021, 19:07   #6
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
How about GoldEd? It does syntax high-lighting. Not sure also for HTML.
That looks very promising - there's an add-on called 'webworld' for it on Aminet that seems to offer exactly what I'm looking for, and more... needs GoldEd Studio 6 to work.

Any idea where I can get hold of that these days? Doesn't seem to be on Aminet?
Old 28 April 2021, 19:10   #7
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post

Thanks but already tried both of the programs mentioned in that thread (HTMLEdit and MetalWeb) and they don't function the way I'd hoped.
Old 28 April 2021, 19:28   #8
stylon

OK thanks guys - I have found my perfect HTML editor. The suggestion of GoldED lead me to finding a newer version of it packaged as 'CUBIC IDE' which amongst many other things offers full HTML syntax highlighting and code validation. It's a commercial product but there's a free demo and it's fantastic, exactly what I wanted. Thanks again!
Old 28 April 2021, 21:30   #9
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

I like Cubic IDE enough that I bought a copy. It's a really good editor.
Old 29 April 2021, 11:26   #10
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
I like Cubic IDE enough that I bought a copy. It's a really good editor.
Yes it's less than €20 so I'll almost certainly be buying it myself... just need to sort out a niggling issue I've got with it before splashing out.

Some of the requester boxes it displays have no 'close' or 'ok' buttons and menu items overlap - does this even in WinUAE which is how I just grabbed this screenshot of the issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	71749  
Old 29 April 2021, 11:30   #11
jPV

Yeah, Cubic IDE is great! I had bought it long ago from some discount sale, but never did actually install it and kept using CEd, but then finally installed it few years ago when I started to code with Hollywood.

Now I just regret that why the heck I didn't start using it earlier... it has so many handy features (syntax highlighting, automatic casing, online help, quick access to documentation, automatic indentation, bracket matching, auto completion of keywords, compile and run options, etc) for many scripting and programming languages like, for example, AmigaDOS, AmigaGuide, Autodoc, ARexx, Assembler, C/C++, Hollywood, HTML, Installation scripts, etc.
Old 29 April 2021, 13:04   #12
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
Yes it's less than €20 so I'll almost certainly be buying it myself... just need to sort out a niggling issue I've got with it before splashing out.

Some of the requester boxes it displays have no 'close' or 'ok' buttons and menu items overlap - does this even in WinUAE which is how I just grabbed this screenshot of the issue...
That's quite odd - the options are a little tricky to navigate, but there are different themes that can be loaded to change the layout. It looks like the theme in use there isn't quite suited to the fonts used, or something along those lines. The default theme is a traditional grey-and-black one, maybe that would suit better?
Old 29 April 2021, 13:15   #13
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
That's quite odd - the options are a little tricky to navigate, but there are different themes that can be loaded to change the layout. It looks like the theme in use there isn't quite suited to the fonts used, or something along those lines. The default theme is a traditional grey-and-black one, maybe that would suit better?
Hey, don't suppose you know how to change the theme? I do remember choosing the white one during setup but I'd rather not have to re-install just to choose the grey one as it took a really long time to install!
Old 29 April 2021, 14:08   #14
stylon

Never mind - I installed again in WinUAE (infinitely faster) and chose the grey/black option and sadly it made no difference apart from the colours.

Need to find where the settings to change fonts/sizes are buried I guess... but there's nothing on the configuration screen which seems like the logical place for such stuff...
Old 29 April 2021, 15:31   #15
jPV

I found what affects to this... it seems to calculate some window layout sizes according to the system's Screen Text font. I guess this must be a bug... which I didn't notice myself earlier, because I was using big enough font there.

So open your system's Font preferences and change the Screen Text font there. A bit annoying, because this affects everywhere then :/

Here's how it looked on my MorphOS setup with two different font sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screentextfont8.png
Views:	89
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	71753   Click image for larger version

Name:	screentextfont15.png
Views:	98
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	71754  
Old 29 April 2021, 15:47   #16
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
So open your system's Font preferences and change the Screen Text font there. A bit annoying, because this affects everywhere then :/
Fantastic

I had Topaz size 8 set - had to bump it up to 11 and now everything displays correctly. Why that isn't an option in the software I don't know but anyway thanks very much!
Old 29 April 2021, 18:08   #17
Daedalus

Yeah, seems to be a bit of an oversight, or maybe a hangover from when it simply used the same font the screen used. Anyway, If you open the Display options for the Filetype properties, in the Colour section there's a file requester gadget that can load colour schemes. They also include things like font and appearance settings. It's a bit awkward to find (I've just spent 5 minutes trawling the many different menus and windows to find that), but there it is
Old 29 April 2021, 18:56   #18
stylon

What a stupid place to put font settings... never would have thought of looking in Filetypes...

Found an alternate way to fix it there too... clicked on 'Pool' and was able to have it open on its own screen which meant it used its own font settings and looked even better.

Think the guy who created it was German so maybe stuff got lost in translation but hey ho!

Thanks again