English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 December 2020, 15:26   #21
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
There are many talented graphics designers out there, I wonder if there is any fan made movies?!

UPDATE: Came across this: [ Show youtube player ]
Nice find.

I remember this animation always reminds me on Monkey Island, as it was in the same world.
This could easily be adventures of Le Chunk, before he died.
[ Show youtube player ]

Now, 3D cartoon like that would be awesome
Old 13 December 2020, 16:10   #22
S0ulA55a551n

I think this film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pi...th_Scientists!

Reminds a little of money island. But beyond that is a brilliant film

Was gutted they not made any more
Old 13 December 2020, 18:57   #23
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I think this film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pi...th_Scientists!

Reminds a little of money island. But beyond that is a brilliant film

Was gutted they not made any more
I really enjoyed that one, too. I’d trust that team with a MI movie. You know it’s based on a book series? There’s four or five of them—all great and very silly. The author is Gideon Defoe.
Old 13 December 2020, 19:27   #24
jPV

It's been said that Pirates of the Caribbean drive at Disneyland was the inspiration for Monkey Island games, and then Monkey Island movie was inspiration/base for the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, so it's all going round

Here's something about the Monkey Island movie: https://monkeyisland.fandom.com/wiki...y_Island_(film)

"The really interesting thing is that the movie was going to be produced by Steven Spielberg (who is a big Monkey Island fan himself). He asked Ted Elliott, a script writer who has worked on several Disney movies (including 'Treasure Planet') and on 'Steven Spielberg’s Director's Chair' game, to help with the story for the MI movie. The Monkey Island movie never got the green light and years later Ted Elliott wrote 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl', which took several ideas from Monkey Island. So basically the first two PotC movies are the Monkey Island movie".
Old 14 December 2020, 03:05   #25
Matt_H

@ jPV

That’s the canceled movie I was thinking of in my earlier post. I didn’t realize it was as recent as the mid-2000s. Based on the plot synopsis in the link, though, I think it’s good that it was never finished. It seems like they completely missed the target on all of the characterization.

Still like the art design, though.
Old 18 December 2020, 07:24   #26
SSJTrunks69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
My knowledge is that Disney own both IPs....
But they never did anything with Monkey Island probably due to owning two very similar franchises.

With the Pirates of the Caribbean past it's peak and the recent problems with the main character... Do you think Disney should focus their efforts on a new Pirate adventure?
I'd like to see Guybrush on the big screen.
I wonder who would be good candidates for the roles?
I really want a new monkey island game with 2d pixelated graphics instead of 3D like the first 2 games. And we haven't got any new Monkey Island game since 2009.
Old 18 December 2020, 10:33   #27
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm pretty sure Pirates of the Caribbean stole lots of ideas from Monkey Island. Orlando Bloom was Guybrush, they had the undead Pirate captain and crew, the voodoo priestess etc. The only thing missing was the piranha poodles. lol.
I would think MI also referenced a lot of ideas from Pirates of the Caribbean which was a ride at Disneyland since 1967. No doubt both looked at literature and history for ideas as well.
Old 18 December 2020, 16:16   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I would think MI also referenced a lot of ideas from Pirates of the Caribbean which was a ride at Disneyland since 1967. No doubt both looked at literature and history for ideas as well.
There is no need to wonder really, there is a whole host of interviews and post mortems on Youtube which document to the finest detail where the game came from, from the perspective of each person that was involved with it through the eyes of their own role.