English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 March 2002, 17:34   #1
rtj666

Unhappy Catch22 in ADF -> Amiga disk conversion

Hi all!
First post here for me so be gentle on me...
Right, heres my problem:
I've got ADF files on my PC and i can get them across to the amiga (still as ADF files) using Amiga Explorer (top prog BTW).
Thing is, how can i convert the ADF file back to an Amiga disk but taking into account that i only have 1meg memory and 1 floppy drive.
How can it be done??
Oh, and i only have Wb1.3 so a lot of the ADF to disk utils want Wb2!
Agh!

Its not fair! I just wanna play Speedball and Cannon Fodder again!!

Any help would be appreciated people...
Cheers!

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 26 March 2002, 17:45   #2
Arnoud

hi there

I just spend this whole day in search of a method to put ADF's on the amiga and play them good ol' gamez...

For making an amiga disk you can use a prog named ADFBlitzer
and you can dl it from Aminet

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/aminetbin/find?adfblitzer

I guess 1 meg should be sufficient for loading and writing an
ADF image (approx. 900 Kb)..but I haven't tried yet

Please read more in the FAQ section of this Board! There's
a tutorial on swapping files there..

Game on! SpeedBall Brutal DELUXE is still the BOMB!!

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 26 March 2002, 18:32   #3
rtj666

ahh, so young yet nieve...
I tried ADFblitzer (among many others) here's what the readme says:
Requirements:
- OS 2+
- Some fastmem (1 MB WILL NOT be enough!)

I dont have OS2 and only have 1meg
Most progs want Wb2 or 1meg+ either that or 2 drives or even a hard drive

*sigh* y'see what i'm up against here?

Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated...

Old 26 March 2002, 18:37   #4
LaundroMat

Well...

You could ofcourse try to write the ADF's to a virtual (ie WinUAE emulated) floppy disk on your PC, and then DMS that disk. From there, un-DMS the archive onto a real Amiga floppy. afaik, DMS works even on .5M Amiga's (as it doesn't take the whole disk in memory at once).

Edit: Oops, it seems the same thing's going on here
Old 26 March 2002, 19:31   #5
rtj666

Eek

Holy Jezus!
There HAS to be an easier way than that!
I'm using ADFopus to drag the files out of the ADF into a folder then whip them across to an amiga disk using the serial link. This might work for some ADF files but i'm almost positive some ADF files will have come from a crazy format disk...

But i'll keep at it and maybe even try your DMS method...
Hmm... there must be way to convert it from ADF to DMS on the PC? then un-DMS it over the serial cable?? Coz i cant see an easy way to un-ADF it through the serial link...

Ach well... back to it i spose...
Cheers for the reply...

Old 26 March 2002, 21:25   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Floppy disk Tracktool

My program Tracktool (available on the Action site and on Back to the Roots) is the only ADF utility I know which works on WB1.3 machines. I wrote it originally to pack and unpack disks on my A500. And when writing, it only buffers one track in memory so even 512k is enough if you have a hard drive which has the entire file on it.
Old 26 March 2002, 21:37   #7
rtj666

Thumbs up

Cheers Codetapper, i'll give TrackTool a looksy...
Although i dont have a hard drive... only the single, internalm floppy drive...

Time to scour eBay for an external drive methinks...

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated...

Old 27 March 2002, 10:25   #8
Arnoud

Angry

Pretty complicated stuff all in all..

This is my first time gettin' techie with the Amiga so forgive
me for simplyfing matters..

I tried several methodes yesterday and the one thing I know is that I'll have to do it with Wb 1.3 and 1 meg of RAM.

BTW: I can't mount an MSDOS disk (PC0 on my amiga with Wb 1.3...am I doing something wrong? I just followed the steps in the tutorial on this Board

I'll take a look at this TrackTool proggie

Old 27 March 2002, 10:39   #9
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I should mention that Transdisk, the Amiga utility supplied with WinUAE, doesn't have to do a whole disk at once, you can get it to do half a disk at a time, or even one track at a time (!) So it does not matter even if you have a 256K Amiga 1000 it should still work :-)
Old 27 March 2002, 14:05   #10
rtj666

Arnoud: Your the same as me, only having Wb1.3. There's no progs with Wb1.3 that let you use a drive as a DOS drive. I use dos2dos. CrossDOS comes with Wb2
If you need dos2dos gimme an email.
TrackTool seems to do the job but wants the whole ADF file at once and most (if not all?) ADF files wont fit on the 740k disk

Minuous: I'll have a look at TransDisk. But will it run under Wb1.3??? We shall see...

Thanks for the help everyone... i'm still looking for the elusive prog that will do it all...

Old 27 March 2002, 15:02   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rtj666
There's no progs with Wb1.3 that let you use a drive as a DOS drive. I use dos2dos.

TrackTool seems to do the job but wants the whole ADF file at once and most (if not all?) ADF files wont fit on the 740k disk.
I think MessyDOS works under WB 1.3 and allows you to mount MSDOS 720k disks. Check out the Aminet link:
http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminetbin/find?messydos

As for your problems with Tracktool, most ADF files will fit on MSDOS 720K disks if you archive them with something like zip, lha or lzx (which appear on both PC and Amiga). The alternative is to use a file splitter common to both PC and Amiga. There are plenty on Aminet, so do a search there.
Old 27 March 2002, 17:30   #12
Chuckles
The Ancient One

CrossDos and Kickstart 1.3

Just FYI, there is an older version of CrossDos that does run quite nicely under 1.3. I have an original copy, and that's what I use for all my transfers between my PC and my A500. As I recall, this program was originally produced by Consultron sometime prior to the release of Workbench/Kickstart 2.0, and in a rare smart move by Commodore, they licensed it for inclusion in 2.0.

If anyone wants it, I can ADF it, zip it up and put it in the Zone sometime over the next day or two. Of course then you'll be faced with the classic "chicken and egg" problem of how to transfer it to a real Amiga, but the other tools mentioned earlier in this thread should handle that for you ... assuming you can figure out how to transfer THOSE onto your Amiga first.
Old 27 March 2002, 18:34   #13
rtj666

Angry

Shadowen: Ah! But the VERY few progs that run under Wb1.3 want the ADF file NOT a zip/lha/ADZ flavour...

Chuckles: Thanks for the offer mate but i've got dos2dos anywayz. It works well under Wb1.3, i managed to get it across to the Amiga using Amiga Explorer. Cool prog but its a bit dodgy at undoing the ADF files onto disk...

I've FINALLY managed to Amiga Explorer to unpack the ADF files back to Amiga disk. Hurrah! Although there are some ADF files that, when returned to Amiga disk, just dont want to work. Almost as though they are protected in some way??

As ever, thanks for all the help folks...

Old 27 March 2002, 20:14   #14
Arnoud

RTJ666:

Could you please explain to me how you did get dos2dos from pc to amiga using amiga explorer? Im very curious indeed mate!
:hooooo

Also, what prog did you use to make the amiga disk out of the ADF?

cheers! hope you enjoy playin all the good stuff again

Old 27 March 2002, 20:35   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rtj666
Shadowen: Ah! But the VERY few progs that run under Wb1.3 want the ADF file NOT a zip/lha/ADZ flavour...
What?? Zip, LHA and LZX can be run under WB 1.3 (even from floppy disk) to unpack ADF files that have been archived on PC. I've had to do this on a basic A500 on the odd occasion. You may need to type commands into a CLI or shell, but that's no big deal as the docs give clear examples. In any case, using a file splitter is a viable alternative. Your biggest problem is not having a HD or 2nd floppy drive to avoid excessive swapping of disks with the different programs you have to use, but unfortunately that's all you can expect out of a basic A500 with what you're trying to do. Best of luck with it all!
Old 27 March 2002, 20:40   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: CrossDos and Kickstart 1.3

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Just FYI, there is an older version of CrossDos that does run quite nicely under 1.3. I have an original copy, and that's what I use for all my transfers between my PC and my A500. As I recall, this program was originally produced by Consultron sometime prior to the release of Workbench/Kickstart 2.0, and in a rare smart move by Commodore, they licensed it for inclusion in 2.0.

If anyone wants it, I can ADF it, zip it up and put it in the Zone sometime over the next day or two.
Quite right, but I've never come across anyone who's had either the original or cracked version because it is so old!

Please could you upload this into the Zone? It will come in handy for friends I have who are using Ami emulation on their PCs.
Old 27 March 2002, 22:43   #17
rtj666

Thumbs up

Arnoud: Were both in a same boat and the answer to your problem is to use Amiga Explorer. You need to buy (or make) a null modem cable that uses Female plugs on both ends and connect your PC to your Amiga (i bought my cable from www.Maplin.co.uk for about £10 incl p&p).
Once you connect your PC to your Amiga you setup the AE prog at your PC end, type come commands on the Amiga Shell (its all easily explained, no guess work) and voila! Magically the PC AE transmits the AE files to your Amiga RAM! Now copy the AE files onto Wb or whatever and your ready to go!
The PC now has an 'Amiga Computer' icon, open this and you can access your Amiga drives and RAM disk from the PC! Coooool!
To make a disk from an ADF file you drag the ADF file from disk/HD to the relevant drives ADF icon (there's a DF0 icon and a DF0.adf icon) and after about 5mins your disk will probably show up as being erroneous but (as i found out later) it does work!
I have Speedball2 to prove it!

Shadowen: The main problem with my system is that i have no where to store the ADF file coz its 900k and a disk only holds 720k and the RAM is about the same...
But Amiga Explorer seems to have done the trick and works under ALL Wb versions!

Anywayz, sorry about the long reply but i wanted to explain how Amiga Explorer worked. Its available to buy from
Cloanto, its about $20.

Old 28 March 2002, 00:44   #18
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Re: Re: CrossDos and Kickstart 1.3

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowen

Quite right, but I've never come across anyone who's had either the original or cracked version because it is so old!

Please could you upload this into the Zone? It will come in handy for friends I have who are using Ami emulation on their PCs.
SOOOO old? ... <sniff> ... I guess that applies to me as well.

I'll convert it and upload it either this evening, or sometime tomorrow. BTW, there is no need for a cracked version of this version of CrossDos. I don't know about the later versions, but the one I have is on a standard AmigaDos disk, and has no protection of any sort.
Old 28 March 2002, 01:55   #19
rtj666

Post re: dos-2-dos

Should have asked earlier, sorry.

Does anyone want dos-2-dos? (runs in Wb1.3 and, if my memory serves me correctly, Wb2). Its only an 18k zip file.
If anyone wants it i could either email them it or upload it somewhere??

See ya...