English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 November 2021, 20:13   #1
h0ffman

Knightmare MSX port to Amiga

First look at the Knightmare MSX to Amiga port has just dropped.

https://www.retro32.com/gaming/amiga...iew-a1200-ossc
Old 07 November 2021, 20:46   #2
skyzoo73

Wow !
Old 07 November 2021, 21:43   #3
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Although I wont be featuring this one, looks cool
Old 07 November 2021, 22:33   #4
roondar

Cool stuff as usual
Old 08 November 2021, 12:24   #5
Havie

Looks good - reminds me of Time Soldiers. It's a good time to be an Amiga owner.
Old 08 November 2021, 12:28   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like that isometric look on the pillars, like it's 3D reaching out of the screen
Old 08 November 2021, 16:44   #7
kriz

Ohh looking forward to another masterpiece !!
Old 08 November 2021, 18:44   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Really nice
Coded in asm?
Old 08 November 2021, 20:37   #9
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

really nice !!!
Old 08 November 2021, 22:14   #10
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Really nice
Coded in asm?
I don't know of another way.. so yes.
Old 11 November 2021, 13:48   #11
Paulthetall

When Hoffman is involved in games and music, then o my...With Metal Gear, he made himself untouchable....masterpiece and in my opinion price worthy.

With Knightmare I get the picture, sound effects, are all very nice, but the music itself in my humble opinion it's not totally there yet. It sounds a bit crowded/too much. check for example in the video at 1:14.

its not bad...but its not the "wow" factor as Metal Gear had. I Do love the endboss music though, so thats a big thumbs up!

No big critics, just want to mention it to perhaps rethink a few parts to make it even more awesome!!

Last edited by Paulthetall; 11 November 2021 at 13:53.
Old 15 November 2021, 00:49   #12
The Brave Ant

Well, I played The original Knighmare back then in 1988, yup, I had an MSX.

And this remake is not good, I don´t like It.

I don´t like so many things, for example I don´t like the music, the colors of the hero are ugly, the colors for example of the armored enemies are bad too, the bats are ugly compared to the original ones, the shadows that they cast are made of little dots when the original was a full black shadow, the arrows that shot the enemy are too ornated, etc...It´s not good at all. I don´t like It, really, and I appreciate their effort but man, no way.

I hope this game improve a lot, now I refuse to play It. It´s a very special game for the MSX and this port is not doing justice to that game, better play the original one.

You can try the original Knightmare online in the link that I put, the controls are pretty easy, Arrow Keys to move, Space to Shot, that´s all (In the original with F5 you could Pause the game).
Just compare the original 8 bit video game with the 16 bit and see It for yourself what is the best version.

https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=knightmare
Old 15 November 2021, 01:59   #13
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brave Ant View Post
Well, I played The original Knighmare back then in 1988, yup, I had an MSX.

And this remake is not good, I don´t like It.

I don´t like so many things, for example I don´t like the music, the colors of the hero are ugly, the colors for example of the armored enemies are bad too, the bats are ugly compared to the original ones, the shadows that they cast are made of little dots when the original was a full black shadow, the arrows that shot the enemy are too ornated, etc...It´s not good at all. I don´t like It, really, and I appreciate their effort but man, no way.

I hope this game improve a lot, now I refuse to play It. It´s a very special game for the MSX and this port is not doing justice to that game, better play the original one.

You can try the original Knightmare online in the link that I put, the controls are pretty easy, Arrow Keys to move, Space to Shot, that´s all (In the original with F5 you could Pause the game).
Just compare the original 8 bit video game with the 16 bit and see It for yourself what is the best version.

https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=knightmare
This comment perfectly sums up the struggle when making Amiga games, especially those ported from system with less graphics and sound capabilities. Either you make it exactly like the original and people say it doesn't look like an Amiga game or you update the graphics and the other side doesn't like it because it's not like the original.

Guess you can't please everyone.

Last edited by h0ffman; 15 November 2021 at 02:15.
Old 15 November 2021, 03:06   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
This comment perfectly sums up the struggle when making Amiga games, especially those ported from system with less graphics and sound capabilities. Either you make it exactly like the original and people say it doesn't look like an Amiga game or you update the graphics and the other side doesn't like it because it's not like the original.

Guess you can't please everyone.
Been there with the musics of Bomb Jack Beer Edition
Old 16 November 2021, 02:56   #15
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Either you make it exactly like the original and people say it doesn't look like an Amiga game or you update the graphics and the other side doesn't like it because it's not like the original.
For each port you intend to work on, prepare two versions, a classic, 8-bit'ish one and a enhanced, smoother one, closer to Amiga standards. Problem solved . Lack of a good musician is a bit trickier to deal with. Personally, I'd rather have good sfx and no in-game music, than subpar sfx and average at best music playing simultaneously. This reminds me, I must try playing Double Dragon II Amiga port with the arcade tunes playing on the PC sometime.
Old 16 November 2021, 09:16   #16
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
For each port you intend to work on, prepare two versions, a classic, 8-bit'ish one and a enhanced, smoother one, closer to Amiga standards. Problem solved . Lack of a good musician is a bit trickier to deal with.
I still get night terrors about running two completely different sound engines along side each other in Metal Gear. As for musicians, guess I'm gonna need hunt a really good one down.
Old 16 November 2021, 11:26   #17
Paulthetall

Mmmm...checking out the versions and this version has a good start/inspiration of the music: https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/inde...knightmaregold
Old 16 November 2021, 12:06   #18
Fiery Phoenix

Haters gonna hate!
Old 16 November 2021, 12:10   #19
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthetall View Post
Mmmm...checking out the versions and this version has a good start/inspiration of the music: https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/inde...knightmaregold
Yep, that's the official SCC sound update from a Konami release. This is what I used as the inspiration for the soundtrack I've put together.
Old 16 November 2021, 15:34   #20
pink^abyss

Quote:
I still get night terrors about running two completely different sound engines along side each other in Metal Gear. As for musicians, guess I'm gonna need hunt a really good one down.

I don't think you will find any good musicians on Amiga..

Seriously, two thumbs up for you because you still do things on Amiga. . I can verify that making a top Amiga game is much harder then working on most other platforms. And your work is top notch Hoffman!