English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 April 2018, 12:09   #1
dragonfly

Ultimate Retro Computer collection with software - Raspberry Pi 2/3

Hi,

I would like to introduce Retro Computer System, a comprehensive collection of retro computer emulators, for Raspberry Pi 2 or Pi 3 with huge number of software titles.
Indiegogo campaign starts next week, more info and video reviews here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/project/co...eview/ad330d08

(Amiga)
[ Show youtube player ]
(Commodore C64, Commodore Plus 4, Tandy Color Computer, Dragon 32, Macintosh)
[ Show youtube player ]
(Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, BBC Micro)
[ Show youtube player ]
(TRS-80, ZX Spectrum, ZX 81)
[ Show youtube player ]
(Acorn Atom, Acorn Electron)
[ Show youtube player ]

RCS currently supports about 80 different home computers from mid 70's up to early 90's.
Here's a complete list of supported models:

Acorn: Atom, Electron, BBC B, BBC B+, BBC Master

Amiga: All official models

Amstrad CPC: 464, 664, 6128, PC 1512

Apple: Apple II, Macintosh, Macintosh II

Atari 8bit: 400, 800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, 65XE, 130XE

Atari ST: ST, STe, TT, Falcon

Commodore: C64 (with ReSID), C128, C16, Plus4, VIC-20, PET

Tandy: Color Computer, TRS-80

Dragon Data: Dragon 32/64

ASCII: MSX 1, MSX 2

Oric: Oric 1, Atmos, Pravetz

IBM: PC, PCjr, XT, AT, 286, 386, 486

Miles Gordon: Sam Coupe

Texas Instrumets: TI-99/4A

Sinclair: ZX Spectrum 48k, 128k, +2, +3, +2A, ZX 81, ZX 80 and variuos clones

Others: Jupiter Ace, Aquarius, Galaksija, Orion, Orao, Lynx, Lola 8A, Pecom 64, Sharp MZ-700

Stay tuned!

Old 22 April 2018, 23:17   #2
Cpt. Hindsight

Good luck with all upcoming legal issues.
Old 23 April 2018, 12:52   #3
dragonfly

We don't plan to distribute copyrighted ROMs for specific emulators, as well as commercial titles in the final version.
It's very easy for any user to add them later, as well as additional content like more games etc.

Old 23 April 2018, 14:09   #4
spudje

What is your added value on top of getting a Raspberry Pi kit and downloading either Retro Pie, Recalbox, or other alternative? With a bit of searching, you can even find prepopulated images for these systems.
Old 23 April 2018, 14:35   #5
dragonfly

I think that the main advantage is very carefully, fine-tuned emulators to the smallest detail for a full retro audio / visual experience and perfectly synchronized smooth animation on TV.
Also, there is support for Acorn series (Atom, Electron, BBC B, BBC Master), as well as various less-known models, such as Mattel Aquarius, Lynx, Orion, Sharp MZ-700, Amstrad PC1512 etc.
I don't think I have seen them so far in such packages, especially with 100% of speed.

Old 23 April 2018, 16:43   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
a full retro audio / visual experience and perfectly synchronized smooth animation on TV.
You can't have that on a Raspberry Pi outputting 1080P with the plethora of aspect ratios all these machines use anyway, and when pixels go off aspect, everything starts looking like shit.

I also don't seem to find much added value here, seems like a solution for the very lazy.

By the way you use lots of free emulators and software that are distributed under a license that will probably forbid you from selling this stuff. Sounds unethical at best.
Just FYI (and for readers):
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/...ng-projects/14
TL;DR: you can't sell Retropie or Emulation Station, which by watching the videos, you clearly use.

If this was a free package, it could be interesting and, at least, ethical.
Old 23 April 2018, 21:07   #7
dragonfly

Well, Ebay as the US company, allows similar (console related) packages to be sold worldwide without any problems.
Under these circumstances, it's pretty clear what would happen to this package if it was offered for free..

btw, you're right about 1080p, but in 720p everything works perfectly smooth.
For these old computers, with mostly 320x200 standard hires graphics (or less), this is quite enough.

Old 23 April 2018, 21:59   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Well, Ebay as the US company, allows similar (console related) packages to be sold worldwide without any problems. [...]
Always funny to see how easy people are unburden their conscience by trying to put the light on somebody else...

Maybe the following is interpretable ?
Quote:
[...] 3. Using eBay
In connection with using or accessing the Services you will not: [...] breach or circumvent any laws, third-party rights [...]
Old 23 April 2018, 23:08   #9
dragonfly

Yes, perfectly interpretable... but in reality, big company makes a profit from the auction fees and doesn't care much for its rules or laws:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ropie&_sacat=0

...same as the USPTO, who allowed the illegal RetroPie registration in USA..

Old 24 April 2018, 00:48   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

Making money off the back of others work is not gonna go down well.

Last edited by seuden; 24 April 2018 at 09:42.
Old 24 April 2018, 09:20   #11
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Making money off the back of other works is not gonna go down well.
I hate these non-commercial sold packages.

Normally what happens is my friends buy them and find that 'insert their favorite game here' doesn't work exactly how they remembered it and I get a call to go round and configure it. They directly tarnish the quality of the retro gaming scene in my honest opinion when they are sold for a profit.

I guess i'm OK with it for personal use but I think using the EAB as an advertising platform to make money is very wrong.
Old 24 April 2018, 16:15   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Yes, perfectly interpretable... but in reality, big company makes a profit from the auction fees and doesn't care much for its rules or laws
Good luck using that excuse in a court of law to excuse you from your own breach of license

I think you were told pretty politely "that's not nice, you shouldn't do it", however you insist and justify yourself with illogical defense.

You come to EAB to promote this license infringing shit, I mean, what were you expecting? In here we actually support developers and not fuck them over, and specifically BuZz is a well-loved member of the Amiga community, to whom I just pointed in your general direction so good luck getting this junk off the ground.
Old 24 April 2018, 19:18   #13
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
...same as the USPTO, who allowed the illegal RetroPie registration in USA..
Because the person who registered it made false claims and the USPTO were not aware. The trademark will be ours now though (just going through the final stages).

Unfortunately there are lots of greedy people in this world who want to make money whilst disregarding/ignoring the rights and licences of others. Don't be one of them.

Just because there are people on ebay who sell stuff they shouldn't doesn't make it ok.

If you want to sell a Retro console - feel free, but do not include non commercial software and art with it.
Old 24 April 2018, 21:14   #14
dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
Because the person who registered it made false claims and the USPTO were not aware. The trademark will be ours now though (just going through the final stages).

Unfortunately there are lots of greedy people in this world who want to make money whilst disregarding/ignoring the rights and licences of others. Don't be one of them.

Just because there are people on ebay who sell stuff they shouldn't doesn't make it ok.

If you want to sell a Retro console - feel free, but do not include non commercial software and art with it.
OK.
Tell me if there's any legal way to get permission and distribute this collection or its impossible?
I have applied several solutions to optimize and speed-up some very demanding emulators, but now all of this will remain unused.
I planned to launch an unambitious indiegogo campaign with a minimum funding goal, in order to compensate hundreds of hours invested in the preparation of this collection, but this is obviously impossible.
Also I will consider the proposal to offer the collection for free, but I'm not sure if it's legal too.
Anyway, thank you for the kind explanation of the whole situation.
Of course, greedy people will continue to sell their similar collections on ebay, but I will not be among them.

Old 24 April 2018, 22:56   #15
Amiga1992

I'm glad that you veered off your previous course and decided to respect the work of an independent developer who spends countless hours making these things for us, FOR FREE
Old 24 April 2018, 23:45   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] greedy people will continue to sell their similar collections on ebay, but I will not be among them.