English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 27 August 2002, 09:38   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

*NEW* IK style game ...

Hey Everyone !

I am not sure if this is the right forum (since it is not really a request for a game, but it is a request)...

Anyway, about a month ago someone (one of the authors) gave me the full source and one of the compiles of an unreleased game. It is some sort of a sequal to IK+, in it having the same moves, etc. but with different graphics and 4 (FOUR) player action on the screen.
The thing is that the game is ALMOST finished. It has full game play, front end and everything, but it lacks a config screen where you could select the number of players and such and therefore when you start you can only play with 1 player.
The other problem is that when you finish playing your player is taken over by the computer and your score just gets higher while the computer plays on... (Highscore table is finished and it looks great).
As I said there are full sources (latest release) available, unfortunetly I couldn't get them to compile, and the author is NOT willing to have to do anything with the game. The game is not in DOS format - it is a trackdisk loader, so it has special programs that write it to the floppy.
There was a floppy with it which had on it one of the previous versions (the only difference to the latest source is that it doesn't have any blood in it - no gore).
The original sources have support for 4 player (2 joytick and 2 keyboard) already finished... I tried turning it on and it worked... the only problem is that you would need some sort of selector (even in the middle of the game) with which you would select number of players... This can be done with the recompile of the code or even with the WHDLoad slave (if it is used to put the game on HD you can patch it to do more stuff - but I cannot do that).

There are also two modes of the game - in the original mode when you beat a computer player it is not in the next match anymore - but when you beat all 3 players the game is finished (which can be quite fast). But with one BYTE on the floppy you can change this so that the players that you beat don't dissapear - so you can play "forever".

What I am looking for is someone with enough skill to do the following :

- Change the game so that it finished when you are beaten (and the computer doesn't take over)
- Change the game so that when you beat all 3 other players the game re-instates them so you start fighting with all of them again (or just use my hack which doesn't delete players after you beat them)
- Allow the game (while you are playing) to select number of human players - there are 4 bytes on the floppy for this selection and this can be done by looking at the keyboard (if you recompile it) or by using patcher like WHDLoad and doing your own stuff...

The game is really GREAT to play ! It would be a shame if it was released in the state it is in now (basically you can do everything, but only play with 1 player and the high scores are doubious ).

If anyone here is willing to do anything of the above (some good coders wanted) then please email me at tomcat@sgn.net and I will send you the full sources and the disk image so you can work on it. The full sources also include all the necessary includes + TrashEmOne that was used to compile it !

Here is a screenshot from the game running in the latest WinUAE (JIT must be disabled to run it) - ah, forgot to mention the game is AGA only !!!!

Ahh, the name of the game is :

"The Way of the HUBBA" (don't ask since I don't know ;-))))

And here are some screenshots to wet your appetite:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hubba.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	3407  
Old 27 August 2002, 11:38   #2
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Wow, all I can say is that it would be fantastic if someone could do it.
Old 27 August 2002, 12:13   #3
RetroMan

Well, I would love to try, but I really don´t know if I´m experienced enough, there are better coders than me I guess Anyway, what language is it coded in ? ASM ? C ?
Old 28 August 2002, 01:25   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

If its ASM

Send it my way, I'll take a look
Old 28 August 2002, 01:30   #5
RetroMan

It IS ASM I allready took a sneak peak but the code is kinda mess
Old 28 August 2002, 07:29   #6
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Great ! Got a few people working on it now and some really good coders too... so I think we might have a playable version of this game in the future. Not that it is not playable now, but since the code for multiple human players is in there, would be a shame if it was stuck to 1 player only... and since it continues counting your score after a computer player takes over the high scores don't do any good. If these fixes cannot be done then I can just release the thing in its present state...
Old 28 August 2002, 08:12   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

EAB is really THE place to be. Only here fantastic things like that happens...
Old 28 August 2002, 09:22   #8
Amiga1992

And it's the only place where you can talk about anti-perspirants
Old 28 August 2002, 12:51   #9
RetroMan

Puuhhh I had a look at the source last night and I really think it can be done, we´ll see I also had a look at the grafix and maybe I´ll add some more backgrounds too
Old 28 August 2002, 13:08   #10
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Sweet... additional backgrounds was planned and the code is there to support it (by the words of the author) so if we can pull even that one off, would make me happy ;-)
What did you think of the game ? Very nice for a freebie, right ?
Old 28 August 2002, 13:09   #11
RetroMan

Just started the game once to have a sneak peak But yes, it looks really nice
Old 28 August 2002, 13:10   #12
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
How about a PC version with multiplayer support over net?

BTW, is that titlepic stolen from Risky Woods or is "just" redrawn?
Old 28 August 2002, 13:15   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
How about a PC version with multiplayer support over net?
Not only is that totally cliché, it would be a nightmare trying to convert 68K ASM to C or some other high level language. Or worst yet, one of the myriad scrpting languages...ugh.
Old 28 August 2002, 14:23   #14
Drake1009

WinUAE kaillera sounds like it might work for it though. So isn't it just a matter of waiting till it's released?
Old 28 August 2002, 14:39   #15
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Yep... if we can get multiplayer modes to be initialised with some keypresses or similar... should be possible in one way or another someday. Just played the thing and the level of difficulty gets REALLY hard on level 10 or so :-( has some pretty good AI...
Old 31 August 2002, 05:08   #16
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Wow if this game could be built/finished it would be GREAT
Old 31 August 2002, 05:14   #17
Jim

I hope it's got the "P" key trick in it

For those who don't know what the P trick is, press the "P" key whilst playing IK+ on the Amiga.

Old 19 March 2004, 05:32   #18
FromWithin
Music lord

Anything ever happen with this?
Old 19 March 2004, 12:29   #19
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I wish I could say yes... but unfortunetly nothing happend with it yet. I sent it to a few people that were interested (one of which was also our Galahad) but unfortunetly noone had time to do anything with it.

I still have everything for it - full sources, exes, instructions on how to get things going and what is missing. So if there is someone who would like to make this game a bit more playable then do contact me on tomcat@sgn.net . There is NOT too much that needs to be done, since all code is already in, it just needs a few hacks here and there to make it fully enjoyable.
Old 27 May 2004, 18:00   #20
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

This is an unofficial "sequel" to IK+ I take it? Ie. Did Archer Maclean have anything to do with it?