English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 February 2016, 16:32   #1
Korodny
Zone Friend

Aminet needs help: searching for freely distributable Amiga magazines

A lot of older freely distributable software is still missing from Aminet. Some of it is preserved nicely on Public Domain disks or CD compilations easily available on the web - but a lot of it is rotting away on private hard disks, old, unmaintained ftp servers or forgotten websites. The Aminet team has been collecting dormant software and quietly adding it to the collection for nearly a decade now. Hunting down software is a rather time consuming process though, and many things can no longer be tracked down easily.

Our current focus is freely distributable magazines - diskmags, ASCII newsletters, free PDF documents - you name it, we want it. We have compiled a list of all the titles we have (note that not all of these are available for download yet), as you can see we're still missing a lot of these releases.

If any of you collectors out there can provide us with missing information or even supply some of the missing releases, we'd be very glad to hear from you.
Old 10 February 2016, 21:56   #2
scuzz

Hi

Most interesting. I was just adf copying The Jungle disk mag issue IV released at The Party III by Silents, Lemon and Spaceballs 28th December 1993 when I read your post. I'm sure most common and in everybodies collection. I guess that probably falls into your demo grouping and not what you are looking for at this time. Anyway, I'll see what I have that is more suitable and let you know.

Shame that my most rare publication is in paper form. I have a full set of Just Amiga Magazine .. The Worlds Most Black and White Amiga Magazine or JAM.

http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com...a_scuzz525.htm

It has been a project of mine for quite a few months now making copies of all my disks. I am in the process of organising more web space so I can start seriously uploading. I will be uploading another thirty disks to the blog tomorrow. Great fun. I literally have walls of disks so never ending really.

Well done by the way.

scuzz
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com...ga_inframe.htm
Old 15 February 2016, 02:44   #3
idrougge

Amiga Recensent (A-rec)
http://amiga1200.no-ip.biz/arec/old.html
Old 15 February 2016, 17:28   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Thanks! Added it to the archive.

@scuzz:

LOL, yeah - you're exactly the kind of person we had in mind
Old 15 February 2016, 19:19   #5
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

I approve of this. Considering that Aminet is the most likely to have a lot of the historic public domain and freeware software and still continues to grow. The more sources available the better the chances of it being added to aminet.

Have some of the TOSEC DATs been considered in relation to diskmags, public domain collections, etc. Have these been considered to be included into Aminet?

I recently found some disks that were part of AmAz (Amiga Arizona). Doesn't seem to be any record of these online anywhere. It seems they had a 'Disk of the Month' series that contained useful Public Domain software.

I only found some information on bombjack's website with some PDFs of the physical newsletters. It seems these disks as well as the newsletter were made available at meetings, or could be physically bought from 'Amazing Computers' every month.

Only source I can find with some information on AmAz: http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/am...ga-arizona.htm

Either way the two ADFs I dumped of these are in the EAB FTP:
/~Uploads/niobyte/NON-TOSEC/Applications-Public_Domain/
Amiga Arizona Disk of The Month #30 (1989)(AmAz!)(PD)
Amiga Arizona Disk of The Month #31 December (1989)(AmAz!)(PD)

Unfortunately, I don't have much background information on this. Also looking through old usenet text files hasn't provided too many clues so far.

Last edited by niobyte; 15 February 2016 at 19:50.
Old 18 August 2016, 14:47   #6
idrougge

I have uploaded the member disks of Amiga User Group Sweden and Swedish Usergroup of Amiga here, as well as some North-American diskmags here.