English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 July 2017, 07:10   #1
vagrant

Throttle RAM speed

Is there any way to throttle RAM speed, specifically on the fly?
Old 28 July 2017, 12:17   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Why? Use case must be always included
Old 28 July 2017, 13:22   #3
vagrant

well I was thinking it might be very handy option for whdload games that have sections which load too quickly from ram
Old 01 August 2017, 22:12   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It would cause bad side-effects if RAM speed gets slower than in real world. (very big slowdowns, glitches etc if program expects to be do all the processing in single frame but now it can't..)
Old 02 August 2017, 02:01   #5
vagrant

What about only as an 'experimental feature', hidden away from sight, (no gui modifier)
Old 02 August 2017, 11:13   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You would need to lower the RAM speed far too much to make the loading noticeably slower..
Old 02 August 2017, 14:28   #7
vagrant

Ok, would the success of it be 'hit and miss', depending on the game/program?
Some cases only very minute difference required.
If it is relatively simple to implement, I could do some experimenting and check it's success rate.. though your probably getting annoyed with this request by now
Old 02 August 2017, 19:42   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

RAM timing (from CPU point of view) only exists in cycle-exact mode. I still expect this to 100% unusable
Old 02 August 2017, 22:33   #9
Photon

So there's a WHDload game that loads the next level too fast? (I.e. not enough time to prepare?)

Slowing down the RAM seems the wrong approach. It will affect everything, including WHDLoad and the OS. Bind a key to Pause emulation?

If the suggestion sounds facetious, it's because you won't share what you want to achieve. I.e. current result and expected result.
Old 03 August 2017, 04:40   #10
vagrant

Photon: there's many different cases, not just one game. That suggestion is probably more logical than facetious, though I don't want to go into too much detail in order to avoid facetious responses, such as 'play from floppy' etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
RAM timing (from CPU point of view) only exists in cycle-exact mode. I still expect this to 100% unusable
I'd only be using with CE mode, enabled at program launch and disabled upon exit.
Your crystal ball will likely be spot on as usual, but if this prove successful on at least a few cases, without adverse side-effects, then at least it would not be '100% useless'
Old 03 August 2017, 07:46   #11
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-209 View Post
Photon: there's many different cases, not just one game. That suggestion is probably more logical than facetious, though I don't want to go into too much detail in order to avoid facetious responses, such as 'play from floppy' etc

I'd only be using with CE mode, enabled at program launch and disabled upon exit.
Your crystal ball will likely be spot on as usual, but if this prove successful on at least a few cases, without adverse side-effects, then at least it would not be '100% useless'
I've seen that sort of thing in WHDLoad games myself, where a screen (usually credits or loading) flashes up on screen and disappears long before it would if it were loaded from disk. Well, in that case, blame the programmers who created the WHDLoad version, namely "Wepl" or whoever it was. In any case, I can only imagine they deliberately shot past those screens because people complained they were on too long in the disk version in the first place. I certainly wouldn't advise changing such a fundamental hardware aspect of the Amiga just to minimise such a minor inconvenience.
Old 03 August 2017, 12:00   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-209 View Post
This will guarantee problems because in CE mode RAM speed is what programs expect and assume, any more slower and things go wrong.
Old 03 August 2017, 13:34   #13
vagrant

Foebane I'm not going to blame anyone as nobody is at fault and there is nothing to complain about, it's just ram vs floppy speed

Quote:
This will guarantee problems because in CE mode RAM speed is what programs expect and assume, any more slower and things go wrong.
Ok yeh it would be pointless outside of CE mode as the trade off would not be worth it.. cheers Toni
Old 03 August 2017, 21:02   #14
Photon

If it looks obviously incorrect, then I would ask slave authors for an update for your favorite games. If it's done with a timer, no outside change would affect the time. Or if it's WHDLoad generally, maybe ask the WHDLoad team for a config option. I don't really see why it should go in the emu.

Could you finagle it with AddBuffers -(whatyouhavenow minus 1)? (leaving 1 buffer for DH0) That should give AmigaDOS some work to do