English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 24 November 2011, 03:50   #1
Justice

Help installing latest version of WHDLoad

Hi, I have version 16.9 of WHDLoad installed on my PC. I am using it in conjuction with WinUAE and ClassicWB. There is an updated version of WHDLoad available, how do I go about updating my current version to the new one?

I will need to be told the actual steps, I don't know anything about computers, emulation or the terminology used when discussing it. I'm not even sure what each of these programs does, but by following instructions I've been able to get them all to work so far.

The WHDLoad website isn't particularly helpful either, I can barely make out whether any of those incomprehensible links are even relevant to what I'm trying to achieve. There is no version number listed next to them either. But anyway I got the latest version after some furious googling and clicking around/researching.

I just don't know what to do with it now, it's a .lha file.
Old 24 November 2011, 08:09   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Just unpack the .lha (on the Amiga) and run the installer script. Or copy manually the files.
Old 24 November 2011, 09:56   #3
antonvaltaz

If you're using WinUAE, then you can just drag the .lha file onto the emulation window - it will appear as a drive on the emulated Amiga.

Then just open it up and install.
Old 24 November 2011, 14:16   #4
Justice

Thank you for the advice. I dragged the .hla file into Amiga emulation and was able to install the latest version of WHDLoad from there. I can tell because when I launch it, it now says 17.0 instead of 16.9.

I installed the program files in C: which was the default. I installed the documentation into Help: which was the default. Can someone tell me the actual locaton of the WHDLoad install?

Which drive in Amiga emulation is C: and how do I view it?

Where is it on my PC harddrive?

I'm trying to figure out if there's some kind of interface and settings for WHDLoad accessible from the directory in which it is installed. Or is it just a program without options that just does one thing?

I'm asking this because I often get errors trying to start some of the games and was hoping this was just a settings thing.

Some of the errors are related to missing ROM's though. I get one that goes:

DOS ERROR #205
(object not found)
on reading "devs: kickstarts/kick34005.a500

I have a few ROM's installed and they work fine, I guess I'm just missing that one, which a lot of games seem to want. I know the ROM's are copyright, but I know they are available and will aquire them if needed. Do I need to get more ROM's and install them?
Old 24 November 2011, 17:57   #5
Justice

I got the 1.2, 1.3 and 3.1 ROM's and put those where WinUAE could see them (ROM's). Then I copied the 1.3 and 3.1 ROM's to SYSTEM/DEVS/KICKSTARTS and renamed them accordingly. I can now load games which I previously could not.

But when I start WinUAE it's still telling me that ROM's relevant to the Amiga 600 are missing. Do I have to get those ROM's (not sure what their version number is) and install them in order to avoid seeing this message?

Or does it have to do with the default settings of WinUAE and is there a place I can set it not to look for Amiga 600 ROM's?
Old 25 November 2011, 15:14   #6
Justice

Does anyone know what the Amiga 600 ROM numbers are?

I just want to get WinUAE to stop asking me for them each time it starts. I double I'll ever want to emulate an Amiga 600.

Is it the 2.0 one?
Old 25 November 2011, 18:07   #7
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

I thinks so... or is that the 500+ ROM?. have a look on ggogle and research which Amiga uses what rom. that should help.
Old 25 November 2011, 18:39   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

2.04 = A500+
2.05 = A600
Old 26 November 2011, 11:22   #9
Justice

Thanks!

Edit - What do I need to rename the Amiga 600 ROM to in SYSTEM/DEVS/KICKSTARTS?

Last edited by Justice; 26 November 2011 at 12:10.
Old 26 November 2011, 12:49   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I just want to get WinUAE to stop asking me for them each time it starts. I double I'll ever want to emulate an Amiga 600.
Untick "Start in quickstart mode" or change quickstart mode to non-A600 configuration.