English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 12 April 2020, 12:09   #1
d4rk3lf

The Settlers, few questions

After many years, started to play it on my A500.

Apart from being stunned again, with visual quality (so beautiful ) and technical achievements (how they did so much stuff on plain A500? ), I have a few questions.
I am on mission 3, btw.

1) What odds are winning the fights if I don't have any gold at all? Right now, I am totally without the gold, and attacking enemy barracks with 5-6 knights constantly, and loosing... his one knight defeats all my knights. I barely win only one barracks.

2) I noticed there's a few types of knights. If I got it correctly, the one with viking helmet is stronger, and the one with roman helmet is strongest of all. Do I have any influence in the game how to produce specific type of knight? Maybe it's determined by amount of gold that I have? More gold - stronger knights, maybe?

3) Do I have to place mine exactly at the spot where the table is showing the resource, or it can be one square further (2 squares maybe)?

I have more question, but these are most important.

Cheers!
Old 12 April 2020, 12:25   #2
jPV

You can train knights to better level at the castle or bigger forts. There's a button to swap knights from forefront to castle/forts to get them trained.

Mines don't have to be exactly on the spot, they drain ore around them too.

sorry no time to answer more properly, because my wife it waiting for me to start a Settlers match
Old 12 April 2020, 12:30   #3
wiz12

From my experience gold is very important, the more of it you can mine the greater the chance all of your knights, including the low level ones, will have of winning a battle even against a higher level knight.
Old 12 April 2020, 13:23   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Have a look at EdSet

It is beta, but much of it works
Old 12 April 2020, 15:22   #5
E-Penguin
Banana

Devious!
Old 12 April 2020, 16:42   #6
jPV

oh and keep less knights in front row.. maybe even in minimum when you don't have any opponents next to you, to keep them in the castle for training... /me goes back to play
Old 12 April 2020, 22:51   #7
rare_j
Zone Friend

The game has a very good, well written manual that's well worth having a flick through - don't read it all, just read the bits you're interested in, it really adds to the game.

http://hol.abime.net/1878/manual
Old 12 April 2020, 22:55   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
The game has a very good, well written manual that's well worth having a flick through - don't read it all, just read the bits you're interested in, it really adds to the game.

http://hol.abime.net/1878/manual

Manual attached
Attached Files
File Type: rar Settlers_Manual.rar (2.31 MB, 110 views)
Old 13 April 2020, 16:59   #9
d4rk3lf

Thanks guys, I have much better understanding now.
Yeah, that manual is great.

@BippyM

Hah... never know about that, but I won't use it to cheat.
Can it work on Whdload install? If I finish campaign, it would be nice to play with that.
Old 13 April 2020, 17:02   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Hah... never know about that, but I won't use it to cheat.
Can it work on Whdload install? If I finish campaign, it would be nice to play with that.

Yeah it can work on WHDLoad installs I tried it today.

I am also thinking of remaking this in windows with gfx from the game. Depends if I can be arsed to figure it all out
Old 14 April 2020, 00:17   #11
d4rk3lf

I am ashamed, but I had to admit, I restarted level 3.
As a player who finished Stronghold (+ Crusader), games that is clear what influence they had , and Starcraft, Starfcraft 2, Warcraft 3 (all on hardest levels), and some other strategies....I felt this will be an easy journey... and I am hyped, because it isn't.
---------------
At some point both opponent started attacking me with way better knights and winning my crucial positions (mostly gold, coil and iron resources).
I retaken my bases, and started building again all the gold, metal and coil I need (food was good all the time), and once I finished it, they attacked again... I retake again then they attacked once more... they won.. my precious mines was burning

One thing that looked strange to me... is that... they didn't attacked my border barracks, they seems able to attack one on those behind them, and cause me a terrible damage.

So I restarted...

Hopefully, now I am in much better position (except iron, all should be well protected), hopefully will protect iron soon enough (or find better places).
Hopefully, they will soon feel my wrath (especially that pirate character)!
Old 14 April 2020, 08:55   #12
meynaf
son of 68k

One thing to know with Settlers is that computer players don't attack if they are not sure to win the fight. So if you protect yourself well enough they will never attack.

When you want to attack, target their gold and knight production. If you can shut these off, you're a winner.
Old 05 August 2023, 19:10   #13
lambrettadave

An old thread I know but can anyone advise on how to get more question mark settler's so I can get them as knights and workers.

Thanks
Old 05 August 2023, 19:22   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambrettadave View Post
An old thread I know but can anyone advise on how to get more question mark settler's so I can get them as knights and workers.

Thanks
From the manual: "As soon as the guard hut is built, a knight will leave your castle in order to occupy it." "If you want to build a small building, a settler with a yellow helmet (construction worker) will arrive looking for his work area."
Old 05 August 2023, 19:30   #15
lambrettadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
From the manual: "As soon as the guard hut is built, a knight will leave your castle in order to occupy it." "If you want to build a small building, a settler with a yellow helmet (construction worker) will arrive looking for his work area."
Thanks for replying.

What I meant was I don't have any free settler's to make into worker's or knights
Old 05 August 2023, 20:17   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here's the manual: https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/the-settlers#manuals

I'm sure it's in there
Old 05 August 2023, 20:28   #17
lambrettadave

Ok I'll have a read through it
Old 09 August 2023, 15:22   #18
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambrettadave View Post
Thanks for replying.

What I meant was I don't have any free settler's to make into worker's or knights
I stumbled on same issue today... I quit the game, then watched Lemon Amiga video on Settlers.

I am not 100% sure, but I think we don't lack on settlers (we have plenty of them), but we probably lack of tools, and weapons to make new settlers pop out... or maybe we lack food (is food used for anything else then feeding the mines? )
I thought I need warehouses so they make me some new settlers, and built 2, but it didn't changed anything.

Anyone can confirm or discard my theory about tools?
Old 23 August 2023, 09:01   #19
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I stumbled on same issue today... I quit the game, then watched Lemon Amiga video on Settlers.

I am not 100% sure, but I think we don't lack on settlers (we have plenty of them), but we probably lack of tools, and weapons to make new settlers pop out... or maybe we lack food (is food used for anything else then feeding the mines? )
I thought I need warehouses so they make me some new settlers, and built 2, but it didn't changed anything.

Anyone can confirm or discard my theory about tools?
Yes, you run out of tools at some point and then something can't be done before you free some tools (a construction finishes or you destroy a suitable building) or let a tool smith to create new tools. Check the tools list in the statistics window, you can see amounts there.

It's good to make a tool smith building before you're getting too low on needed tools. The smith hogs resources quite much, so I usually just make own road for the building so that I can remove the road after I have enough tools again

And the same for weapons/knights with weapon smith too, although I keep that one "connected" all the time

There's also an option where you can set the balance how big percentage of free serfs are trained to knights and how much are available for other jobs, so don't put that 100% for knights at least. I usually increase it a bit around to 50%.
Old 23 August 2023, 11:32   #20
d4rk3lf

@jPV
Thanks.

Yeah.. I've been playing it recently, and figured out many things.
What lambrettadave asked, and where I had the same problem, is primarily for knights, and I think, the tools weren't a biggest issue there in our cases, but the lack of resources. I think there's enough tools for 2-3 blacksmiths (and 2-3 blacksmiths are more then enough), but blacksmiths requires Coal (easy), and Anvils (that requires coal + metal, plus smelter building that creates anvils), and only if we have coal and iron as resources, and smelter as building, only then blacksmith can work.

I am not sure though, if tools are something that needs to be replaced. For example, for blacksmith, will his tolls last until the end of the game, or he can broke it, and require a new ones?

But yeah... apart from above, I agree that tool smith is very important building