English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 February 2019, 21:08   #1
ProdigalAmigan

Question NEC Multisync EA193Mi works for Amiga 15 Khz??

Hello Everybody!

Today I went to order a BenQ BL912 to upgrade my BL702A monitor, but seems BenQ has pulled it from production now.

Looked at a different alternative and saw that the NEC Multisync EA193Mi IS still being sold and should be able to sync up to 15 Khz, but in the lists I've seen it says "Partial support - Aspect Ratio Uncorrectable".

Can someone please verify if this is actually true and if so what exactly this means?

On the BenQ BL702A I had to mess around with Horizontal and Vertical setting as well as the pixelclock to get it to display nicely so I'm wondering if this is not possible to set up on the EA193Mi? Would be the perfect monitor for the Amiga AND my Mac Mini MorphOS machine.

If you have any information that can help me with this please let me know.
Otherwise I could just order one and try it but its a "pain in the back" if I have to ship it back and wait for a refund.

//ProdigalAmigan
Old 28 February 2019, 10:34   #2
lumi

I bought this "NEC Multisync EA193Mi" monitor just to try if it works with Amiga a while ago. It supports 15 Khz, but there is no way to center image or correct aspect ration in any way. Because of that, I returned it back to shop. I have 2 x BenQ BL912 monitors and these work great.
Old 02 March 2019, 10:21   #3
ProdigalAmigan

Thank you for the information Lumi! :)

Hello Lumi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
It supports 15 Khz, but there is no way to center image or correct aspect ration in any way. Because of that, I returned it back to shop. I have 2 x BenQ BL912 monitors and these work great.
Thank you so much for your reply. It is VERY valuable to me. So when you're saying there's no way to adjust centering or aspect ratio the controls and menus for that sort of thing did not work at all I take it?

I am just going to have to wait and see if another BL912 shows up somewhere on eBay to buy as it seems they stopped making them!!
(I would prefer a brand new one as opposed to a used monitor)

Otherwise I will just buy another 17" BenQ BL702 while they're available and keep it as a spare.

My ideal monitor would be one that does 15Khz and Multiscan monitor profile in Amiga OS/Workbench as well as having HDMI with audio out (to hook up my C64 to the same monitor.

//ProdigalAmigan
Old 04 March 2019, 13:32   #4
lumi

@ProdigalAmigan: Yes, there were no such controls or items in menu for that sort of adjustments.
Old 05 March 2019, 00:45   #5
ProdigalAmigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
@ProdigalAmigan: Yes, there were no such controls or items in menu for that sort of adjustments.
I am looking at the manual now for this monitor here:

http://www.support.nec-display.com/d..._manual_EN.pdf

It states in the manual that there is a SCREEN setting menu (only for analog input - meaning VGA in this case)

There should be an AUTO ADJUST feature, LEFT/RIGHT UP/DOWN as well as manual H.SIZE and FINE settings you can change manually.

Do you mean that this menu and all these settings options is locked out if attempted under 15 Khz Horizontal Sync?

//ProdigalAmigan
Old 05 March 2019, 07:51   #6
lumi

@ProdigalAmigan: Just buy this monitor and try it yourself. I really didn't find a way how to get the display working properly. I was studying the manual before I bought it too. Even if there are different options in menu for screen adjusting, there was still part of the screen that was not visible and there was no way to get it displayed properly. I had this monitor 3 years ago, maybe some options changed, maybe there is some new revision, but I don't really think it will be usable for use with Amiga.
Old 08 October 2021, 00:34   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I just bought an NEC Multisync EA193MI for £30 off Amazon and so far it is the best native 15khz LCD I have used. So far only tested with an ECS PAL A500. At odds with the comment above, there ARE plenty of functions to adjust screen size, position (horizontal & vertical). It has DVI, VGA and Display port. The stand is height, rotate and tilt adjustable. As @Lumi points out, 640x256 hires pal screen is cut of by 16 pixels at the bottom. I just changed the Amiga resolution to 640x240 and all is well in WB. Games run great at their native resolutions and 50hz scrolling seems smooth to me. The switching between pal hires and games is seamless, the monitor remembers the WB settings fine. IT DOES NOT like interlaced modes and gives an out of range black screen. I haven’t worked on a solution yet, there may not be one. I never use hires laced so don’t really mind.
Worth noting I have only had this for an hour, if I find any deal breaking limitations then I will update this post.

Last edited by DDNI; 08 October 2021 at 00:47.
Old 08 October 2021, 13:16   #8
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I just bought an NEC Multisync EA193MI for £30 off Amazon and so far it is the best native 15khz LCD I have used.
That's a very good deal. I will be certain to check one out if I can find one at a decent price. I have got an older NEC LCD which supports 15KHz fine, but the lack of options to fix screen size and position makes Workbench usage out of the question

Does your unit have an IPS panel? I can see some of them have TN panels, while the NEC website only talks about IPS. Very confusing

Last edited by jbenam; 08 October 2021 at 13:21.
Old 25 April 2022, 18:15   #9
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
That's a very good deal. I will be certain to check one out if I can find one at a decent price. I have got an older NEC LCD which supports 15KHz fine, but the lack of options to fix screen size and position makes Workbench usage out of the question

Does your unit have an IPS panel? I can see some of them have TN panels, while the NEC website only talks about IPS. Very confusing
I never did find a fix for interlaced screens, they simply drive the screen out of range.
Regarding IPS, I do not know. Is there an easy way to know?
The image quality is very very good, however the interlace issue and cropped bottom of screen make it hard for me to recommend the EA193mi.