English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 March 2022, 04:58   #1
RDP

DF0 - DF2 Boot Selector on a A3000

On my A3000 I have a FlashFloppy installed externally as DF2.

I purchased a DF0 Boot Selector, but it wouldn't flip DF0 with DF2, it flipped DF0 with DF1. After some communication with the seller, he created a "rewried" version, that worked for me. It was because of me he updated his text below on his for sale page. You can find out more about that here:

https://www.amibay.com/forum/want-to...l-round-cables. "If you intend to use bootselector in A2000 or 3000 let me know, because it needs to be wired accordingly for DF2 instead DF1."

Now, the unit I was using has broken, so I am looking to get another unit. I am needing to be sure I can change DF0 to DF2, but this product looks like it won't handle that (and no response to a my question that I sent them): https://amigastore.eu/en/485-df0-selector.html

This product looks like it will handle it, but the company doesn't respond to emails I send asking for confirmation it will work, so I am hesitant to buy from them: https://www.gotek-retro.eu/bootselector-df0-df2/

Does anyone know of a good unit that will 100% work on my 3000 where DF0 swaps with DF2 (connected externally)?

many thanks,
RDP

Last edited by RDP; 12 March 2022 at 05:14.
Old 25 June 2022, 02:26   #2
RDP

UPDATE.

Very happy to report that I am now in possession of a working selector that absolutely meets my needs: https://www.gotek-retro.eu/bootselector-df0-df2/ . The product was packed appropriately, and the product itself was put together very cleanly; I'm not a professional, but believe I know quality when I see it, and this thing is designed and assembled expertly. Highly recommended.

I mentioned in my OP I had no response from the vendor; this was when I tried email to contact them. I then tried to reach them on their Discord ( https://www.gotek-retro.eu/contact/ ), after which communication was perfect. If for some reason your emails don't obtain any response, try their Discord, or their Facebook Messenger (I didn't need to try).

ciao
RDP

Last edited by RDP; 25 June 2022 at 06:40.
Old 10 August 2022, 02:32   #3
javayoda

I'm looking to get one of these. Which CIA chip in the Amiga 3000 is used with the selector: U350 or U300? Surprisingly, I can't seem to find a clear answer.
Old 10 August 2022, 11:22   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by javayoda View Post
I'm looking to get one of these. Which CIA chip in the Amiga 3000 is used with the selector: U350 or U300? Surprisingly, I can't seem to find a clear answer.
U300 is responsible for the 4 floppy select signals, so that should be it (page 7 here: http://amigawiki.de/dnl/schematics/A3000.pdf)
Old 10 August 2022, 21:41   #5
RDP

Correct, U300.

If you use the internal SCSI connector you MIGHT need a riser. The vendor said he might be able to arrange this for a Euro or two to rise the board up so the SCSI cable can fit. I don't use internal SCSI, so didn't test to see if it was really an issue, just looked liked it could be. Photo attached.

cheers,
RDP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6191 (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	76294  
Old 11 August 2022, 05:50   #6
javayoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
Correct, U300.

If you use the internal SCSI connector you MIGHT need a riser. The vendor said he might be able to arrange this for a Euro or two to rise the board up so the SCSI cable can fit. I don't use internal SCSI, so didn't test to see if it was really an issue, just looked liked it could be. Photo attached.

cheers,
RDP

Thanks for the image. I ended up settling on a boot selector from www.gotek-retro.eu. This one is supposedly designed specifically for the A3000. In an email correspondence with a friend, the creator claims there is room for the internal scsi connector (which I am using with a ZuluSCSI board). I guess I'll find out.

EDIT TO ADD: The actual correspondence had the designer referring to a customer who sent him a bunch of photos so he could create a modified A3000 version. I'm not sure he actually tested it himself but his customer claims an internal scsi cable works fine.

Last edited by javayoda; 11 August 2022 at 06:03.
Old 11 August 2022, 16:12   #7
javayoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
Correct, U300.

cheers,
RDP
Do you have to change the jumper on the internal floppy when using this switch?
Old 12 July 2023, 02:49   #8
Gotek-Retro

https://www.gotek-retro.eu/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Gotek_Retro_IMG_20220814_110445

Quote:

EDIT TO ADD: The actual correspondence had the designer referring to a customer who sent him a bunch of photos so he could create a modified A3000 version. I'm not sure he actually tested it himself but his customer claims an internal scsi cable works fine.
i Sadly have no 3000 to test stuff so i designed the 3000 bootselector completely based on feedback and by measuring the mainboard layouts.
meanwhile i sold a dozen of them and upto now no complaints, so i guess it is perfect (enough)

This is the close up picture of the 3000 bootselector with the scsi connector that i designed and built based on feedback of this customer, once fitted he sent me this picture.

BTW now there's also a boot selector available for the Amiga 600 / 1200 (No soldering required)
Old 12 July 2023, 02:52   #9
Gotek-Retro

Quote:
Do you have to change the jumper on the internal floppy when using this switch?
Nope , you just leave the internal drive as is, and connect a gotek external als a drive DF2: , the bootselector takes care of the rest, so no modifications are needed.