English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 30 October 2023, 14:27   #1
DisasterIncarna

Unexpected Scrollbar/Mousewheel Behaviour

So I recently started on a new project to create another companion GUI that uses UHC Tools/AGet to scrape information to let Amiga users actually see new titles on ITCH.IO that many people might not even know exist, probably because we have nothing native i am aware of that tells us as such.

its early days, literally 2 days at this point and ive pretty much just got a "concept" idea working, ti tends to crash a lot because ofc it does when you rush together an idea just to see if it can work, but i am narrowing down issues, mostly due to scraping html sources and often not gettin gback the results i would expect.

However once i got the basics in place i noticed strange behaviour for the 2 listview gadgets i used, my previous GUI uses listviews but they are listed side by side and work perfectly fine. In this GUI 1 listview is stacked under the other and this is where things get weird.

I have included a video showing the weird behaviour and my question/query here is what is the cause? is it something i forgot in my code? some IDCMP flag i forgot or something? is it OS3.2? is it (and i hope its as simple as this) the FreeWheel commodity getting confused?

[ Show youtube player ]

When i use the mousewheel to scroll in the top most listview it works provided i am within the confines of the listview, if i then move down to the listview underneath it, the lower listview shoudl scroll but it does not, the one above scrolls, if i stay in the lower listview but move out of the horizontal range of the listview above then the lower listview scrolls as it should.

If i then move to where my image/thumbnail picture is which is to the right of the top listview and top/right of the lower listview, neither listview should be affected but both end up scrolling when i use the mousewheel.

any guesses whats going wrong here?
Old 30 October 2023, 14:35   #2
Daedalus

Looks like an excellent program is that using MUI? I have a feeling Freewheel is at least partially to blame here. It can confuse things by acting on windows that it thinks don't have mousewheel support, but of course 3.2 includes the support so you get two different sets of scroll input in such windows. If you disable Freewheel does it behave better?

It might be worth looking at the 3.2 NDK to get the IDCMP codes used for the mouse scroll event and seeing if adding them to the window helps. Also, if it's MUI, it has its own separate mousewheel support so it might be worth playing with the MUI settings for that and see if it can be helped.
Old 30 October 2023, 14:39   #3
DisasterIncarna

bog standard Gadtools in use, ive never actually tried MUI before, ill try disabling freewheel, i cant even remember when/where i installed that, its 1 of those things that i might have transferred over from an old OS3.1 install, unless 3.2 installed it as well?

Ill have a play with that and hunt out the IDCMP code you mentioned, see, as you said if it makes a difference as well.
Old 30 October 2023, 14:47   #4
DisasterIncarna

ok so the quickest test, which is disabling FreeWheel gives me a weird result as well.

Disabled, my listviews do not scroll when i mouse over them, if i move away from both into the thumbnail picture area and use the mousewheel then the top listview scrolls...
Old 30 October 2023, 15:18   #5
Daedalus

Hmmm, I don't know enough about how GadTools handles the mousewheel events in 3.2, but I suspect there's a gadget that inherits the window scrolling action or something like that, and your left-hand listview is the one where that happens. Perhaps the 3.2 NDK will also explain what goes on there... If not, it might be worth asking in one of the OS boards in here, as the 3.2 devs are less likely to see a Blitz-specific thread.

Freewheel is a 3rd party commodity that translates mousewheel events into scroll up / scroll down movements for items that don't natively support mousewheel events. It's normally installed in WBStartup.
Old 31 October 2023, 08:39   #6
aros-sg

What happens if you use cursor up/down instead of mouse wheel? Don't know about 3.2 but mouse wheel used to only end up as cursor up/down IDCMP_RAWKEY on the application side. Do you have custom keyboard/cursor control in your program that scrolls the listview?
Old 31 October 2023, 09:31   #7
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by aros-sg View Post
What happens if you use cursor up/down instead of mouse wheel? Don't know about 3.2 but mouse wheel used to only end up as cursor up/down IDCMP_RAWKEY on the application side. Do you have custom keyboard/cursor control in your program that scrolls the listview?
not yet but its on the to-do list for much later.