http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...327#post766327
Old 12 June 2014, 19:10   #2
ancalimon
Supernormal

I read amiga.org as "Amiga Inc.".
Old 13 June 2014, 02:19   #3
rare_j
Zone Friend

Even a quick visit to a.org is a chilling experience.
Theres just no pleasing some (most) of those guys. Best wishes to the new owners, fingers crossed they can warm the place up a bit.
Old 13 June 2014, 05:52   #4
mfletcher
Bawbag.

If if was me, Id just shutdown the amiga.org servers and then cname the domain to eab.
Old 13 June 2014, 10:33   #5
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
If if was me, Id just shutdown the amiga.org servers and then cname the domain to eab.
I'm not sure I'd want some of the guys on there to be here too
Old 13 June 2014, 15:34   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Amiga.org ceased being relevant a long time ago.

If A-EON is intent on improving things, then thats to be welcomed, but when I tried to setup an additional account to let slip that Putty Squad was due to be released that same day, inspite of me contacting SEVERAL people who were mods on there to get the account approved because of the annoucement, it took two weeks for the account to be validated!!

Everywhere else was very accommodating, Amiga.org not so much.

They were too busy patting themselves on the back for their 'contribution' to getting Putty Squad released?!?!?!!?!

Unless A-EON is intent on sorting Amiga.ORG out, frankly its a waste of time and effort, and if they paid for it..... oh dear!

Without doubt, EAB is the PREMIER place to go for all things Amiga, the content of the forums says so, the quality of the guys frequenting here (and ladies!) says so, and the continued contribution EAB makes toward Amiga stuff says so.
Old 13 June 2014, 15:48   #7
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Without doubt, EAB is the PREMIER place to go for all things Amiga, the content of the forums says so, the quality of the guys frequenting here (and ladies!) says so, and the continued contribution EAB makes toward Amiga stuff says so.
Absolutely. I'm honoured to be a member of EAB, and I hate to think where the Amiga would be without it.
Old 13 June 2014, 16:21   #8
ptyerman

Yeah, EAB is the place to be. I have lurked round Amiga.org for a few years, but nothing on there has inspired me to sign up or to post. Seems like a troll haven more than a forum, I think the domain name is what got A-EON's attention more than anything.
Old 13 June 2014, 18:59   #9
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I agree with Galahad regarding EAB being great for 68k and classic PPC Amigas, however the coverage and welcome of NG Amiga platforms such as AmigaOS4 and MorphOS is not great.
Old 13 June 2014, 19:10   #10
Ami_GFX

I gave up on Amiga.org due to excessive drama. It just deterioriated over the years to the point where all the members whose posts I liked to read had left and what they left behind was the troll drama.

This change in ownership could be a good thing but I'm not going to be reading or posting there again anytime soon.
Old 13 June 2014, 19:13   #11
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I agree with Galahad regarding EAB being great for 68k and classic PPC Amigas, however the coverage and welcome of NG Amiga platforms such as AmigaOS4 and MorphOS is not great.
I do agree, but I would also say that these platforms are not Amiga and that the lack of software for them means they are not worth using.
Old 13 June 2014, 19:51   #12
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I left amiga.org for personal reasons: I didn't like the (ab)use of US law that transfers ownership of my content to the site owner, without me actively agreeing to this proceeding. I left when I found out that a) somebody made money on what I contributed to for free without me agreeing, and b) when the new owner (Bill) refused to delete my content. Granted, he was entitled to act that way by US law, so everything was perfectly legal from his point of view.

However, I'm European, and I don't like the American way of treating intellectual property rights, because I think that the laws apply double standards: Big corporations are granted lots of rights, and the "little man" is taken the rights to his content by a st*pid law that non-US users of the site aren't made aware of.

I was asked by numerous people including Matthew from AmigaKit/AEON to return to amiga.org. Didn't get a reply from Matthew to my conditions where a key condition is to move the physical server to Europe for legal reasons.

Just checked: The amiga.org server is still in the US, so posting there is out of the question for me. EAB is in France, so yeah, it's the place to be for all those who don't speak German and can participate in a1k.org, which has very good moderation (which also banned me for a week some time ago, and I still like them).

Jens
Old 13 June 2014, 21:27   #13
wawa

@schoenfeld:
could you be more elaborative? sure the number of strange practices were associated with previous aorg administration, but still from the point of view of a member it was rather easy not to be fooled like that. your case sounds serious, what is that content you are talking about? ive never noticed anything.
Old 13 June 2014, 22:19   #14
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I left amiga.org for personal reasons: I didn't like the (ab)use of US law that transfers ownership of my content to the site owner, without me actively agreeing to this proceeding. I left when I found out that a) somebody made money on what I contributed to for free without me agreeing, and b) when the new owner (Bill) refused to delete my content. Granted, he was entitled to act that way by US law, so everything was perfectly legal from his point of view.

However, I'm European, and I don't like the American way of treating intellectual property rights, because I think that the laws apply double standards: Big corporations are granted lots of rights, and the "little man" is taken the rights to his content by a st*pid law that non-US users of the site aren't made aware of.
Perhaps you should have read the sites terms of use and membership rules a little more carefully, since you actually DID AGREE to their terms of use when you created your membership account. If you owned and managed a similar site you might realize that a law which gives you full control over the sites content is not such a bad idea after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Just checked: The amiga.org server is still in the US, so posting there is out of the question for me. EAB is in France, so yeah, it's the place to be for all those who don't speak German and can participate in a1k.org, which has very good moderation (which also banned me for a week some time ago, and I still like them).

Jens
You probably won't like Amibay either since their server is in U.K. and the site owners also assume full control over content. Jens "Paradroid" Schoenfeld banned on A1k.org? Impossible! Oh, I get it, a joke...LOL!

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 14 June 2014 at 16:33.
Old 13 June 2014, 23:23   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe I shouldn't mention it, but the situation about ownership of posts is the same here on EAB... By posting on this forum the rights of your posts are given to the forum. It's the same on almost every forum. Of course given good reasons these posts can still be removed.

Edit: http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=eab...ads_vandalized

Last edited by TCD; 13 June 2014 at 23:55.
Old 13 June 2014, 23:35   #16
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
@schoenfeld:
could you be more elaborative?
In the US, the collector of "information" automatically becomes the owner, so sites with user-provided content actually *own* the articles that users have written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Perhaps you should have read the sites terms of use and membership rules a little more carefully, since you actually DID AGREE their terms of use when you created your membership account.
When I created the account, I did not save the terms&conditions, and that's over a decade ago. I do know that I had to re-register at some point, but at that time, I had met Wayne in person and didn't even read the terms that might have changed. I never would have thought that he'd be taking advantage of the community like that.

Another point that made me angry was that Wayne's debt was primarily caused by someone we all know too well, and some of you might know that I don't like these people too much either.

Quote:
You probably won't like Amibay either since their server is in U.K. and the site owners also assume full control over content.
"full control" while the author still has a veto is OK with me. However, if I change my mind and don't want my articles on that site any more for whatever reasons, I can *make* them delete my content - if required by legal means. I can't do that if the server is in the US.

I'm not on AmiBay because it's just too many forums to check.

Quote:
Jens "Paradroid" Schoenfeld banned on A1k.org? Impossible! Oh, I get it, a joke...LOL!
Not a joke - I was banned for a week for some bad behaviour that I don't remember in detail. I'm human, and I make mistakes, and the same rules apply to all a1k members. Once again, I like the strict moderation of a1k, and amiga.org would probably benefit from such moderation, too.

Jens
Old 13 June 2014, 23:59   #17
Ami_GFX

The moderation was not good at all. In fact, some of the mods seemed to encourage the drama. That being said, when I read the tread on the sale at Amiga.org, I was reminded that there were a lot of people and mods I liked at Amiga.org, just not enough to make the differerence. I also saw the same sort of sniping and comments that made me leave.
Old 14 June 2014, 06:23   #18
modrobert
old bearded fool

EAB feels like home, it's great (thanks for not banning me, hehe).

Now sliding a bit off topic to follow the trend here...

Personally, I don't like moderation, except to delete spam and the occasional death threat.

Long ago, back in 2003, I created a simple concept of moderation free forums called "BERZERK".

Quote:
Freedom of speech is a basic right that should be honored and cherished, not sadly crippled by moderators. The only restrictions we enforce at EurAsia are threats or abuse towards another person or group of people, much like the human rights in general, and the mindless spam.
I thought other site owners/admins would queue up to adopt the same simple principles of freedom, that it would spread fast, but it never happened, not even once in over ten years. Instead it has moved in the opposite direction with more rules than any sane person can follow. The only negative experience I've had so far is that when people are given the freedom to do pretty much anything, they tend to avoid doing anything at all.

Regarding ownership of posts as Schoenfeld pointed out, I like this statement: "All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments and forum messages are owned by the Poster."

Last edited by modrobert; 14 June 2014 at 07:11.
Old 14 June 2014, 08:35   #19
Paul_s

Meh, EAB is the place to go for anything Amiga although Amibay and Commodore is Awesome are cool too.

French servers rule and so does France even though I have never visited before. Eiffel tower (legend has it the EAB server is on the top floor) and ice cream wins!
Old 14 June 2014, 10:55   #20
ptyerman

Just finished reading through the equivalent of this thread on Amiga.org, what a bunch of self entitled argumentative trolls, I really hope they don't come here to EAB. All most of them are trying to do is cause arguments with A-EON and Amigakit, I feel sorry for Trevor and Matthew, got a lot of work to do on there by the looks of it.