English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 31 July 2022, 14:58   #1
ItsTheSmell

WB 3.2 fdd wont boot

I bought WB3.2 a few months back and ive transferred the adfs from the cd over to floppy via pcmcia card on my other 1200 but WB will not boot up from floppy.
Ive verified the disc while writing it with tsgui which seemed to complete successfully but it still will not boot. The WB install disc does boot, and tge workbench disc reads when the 1200 is up and running with the install disc, whats causing this?
Old 31 July 2022, 15:23   #2
ItsTheSmell

It isnt working in winuae either.
Old 31 July 2022, 16:23   #3
thomas

That's correct. WB 3.2 needs harddrive installation, it does not run from floppy disk.
Old 31 July 2022, 16:47   #4
ItsTheSmell

Thankyou. This is a lot harder than previous versions.
Old 31 July 2022, 21:24   #5
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Not really, as it's HDD only - the install disk is the only one you need to be bootable. Once that's booted, the installer should handle the rest automatically
Old 01 August 2022, 21:51   #6
ItsTheSmell

So i got it installed and while watching 10marcs video ive noticed a lot of stuff is missing on my install, compared to his. So i installed bestwb plus the upgrade of it and now i have to insert modules disk to get it to boot. Its asking for LIBS. I have to do this everytime now, what can be done to fix it?

Why is dougs install different to my floppy install?

I registered with hyperion but ive get to be accepted. Do they always take so long to administer new registries?
Old 01 August 2022, 22:00   #7
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
So i got it installed and while watching 10marcs video ive noticed a lot of stuff is missing on my install, compared to his. So i installed bestwb plus the upgrade of it and now i have to insert modules disk to get it to boot. Its asking for LIBS. I have to do this everytime now, what can be done to fix it?

Why is dougs install different to my floppy install?

I registered with hyperion but ive get to be accepted. Do they always take so long to administer new registries?
If it’s asking for Libs I’m guessing it’s either;

1).. You haven’t installed the correct 3.2 for the Amiga you are using, I.e if installing on a A1200 you have installed the A600 version.

2).. There is something missing on the disks such as Workbench.library and icon.library. If so copy these off the install disk from Libs: to Libs: on your CF/SD/HDD

3).. You are using 3.2 physical ROMs.

Shouldn’t take long for Hyperion to register you, unless you are trying to register a dodgy copy?
Where did you buy your 3.2 from?
Old 01 August 2022, 22:26   #8
ItsTheSmell

I havent got as far as to give them my license. Im trying to get on their forums first.
Old 01 August 2022, 22:46   #9
thomas

Quote:
I havent got as far as to give them my license. Im trying to get on their forums first.
The forum has a different account. You have to register on the main page to get into the registration section.
Old 02 August 2022, 09:36   #10
ItsTheSmell

Ah ok, right so ive done that, downloaded the uodate.lha file and discovered a rom updrade is also included, so now i need an eprom burner?! So they released an unfinished product, come back windows all is forgiven.
Old 02 August 2022, 10:14   #11
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
now i need an eprom burner?!
No.
Old 02 August 2022, 10:38   #12
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
So i installed bestwb
This is likely part of your issue - as far as I'm aware bestwb is designed for 3.1.4, not 3.2

For 3.2 there is this: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107410

Although if components seemed missing from the install, it does rather sound like the install hasn't completed properly in the first place.

Quote:
Ah ok, right so ive done that, downloaded the uodate.lha file and discovered a rom updrade is also included, so now i need an eprom burner?! So they released an unfinished product, come back windows all is forgiven.
The ROM upgrade is entirely optional, if you just use the installer for 3.2.1 on your 3.2 base, it will automatically install, and then load and use, the newer OS components on boot. It's a point release update, can all be handled in software, no need for new ROMs unless you really want to.
Old 02 August 2022, 14:08   #13
ItsTheSmell

Thanks for the help here indigolemon. Ill reinstall 3.2 using the new installer. If i just install it will it copy over the files or create new files? Would a format be better prior to install?
Old 02 August 2022, 20:34   #14
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Use your original disks and get yourself a working 3.2 install, then load the 3.2.1 disks and run the installer there and it will update the relevant components.

If the component is on disk, it will be replaced by the newer version. If the component was in the 3.2 ROM the system will load and use the newer version from disk instead