English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 03 February 2022, 12:39   #1
RWE

Regards

Old fart here!

I started off as a toddler in the late seventies with cheap TV game sets of the kind that came with built-in games like variations of PONG and TENNIS, as my father was deeply fascinated in this "modern curiosities". After some years I got my first Atari 800XL with a tape deck. The clerk at the store where we purchased it actually gave us a huge pile of tapes full of pirated games he had copied, which was awesome at the time. I did not know anyone at all with an Atari, there were some families who had stuff like Dragon 32, Vic 20 and Sharp MZ80 at the beginning. Luckily, not too long after we sold the Atari heap to the neighbor and purchased a C128 with disk drive. Soon everybody had a C64 and the golden age began.

Later I went on to Amiga 500, and finally Amiga 1200. That is basically the only hardware I have left of my own. Some years ago, before the prices on ebay etc went to the roof, I purchased lots of (mostly) Commodore computers. They all need recapping and more love, which they hopefully will get in due time...

These days I spend most of my time on a Mister FPGA. I use my private customization of the excellent MegaAGS setup as a base. Some of my favorite activities right now are exploring demoscene productions (old and new), reading old diskmags and scrolltexts, poking at obscure ADF's with forgotten content and testing some of the games and software I never got my hands on in the nineties. Great fun.

Also, I was involved in the Amigascene as a swapper, and my mates and me went to quite a few parties in Norway/DK roughly in the period 1991-1994. We also arranged a couple small parties at the local sports hall. Good times indeed.

Sorry for cramming my entire life story into this post! Guess I need more socializing after being mostly stuck with the family for the last two years
Old 03 February 2022, 12:42   #2
chip

Welcome to the forum !
Old 03 February 2022, 13:01   #3
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Welcome RWE. Great story. How did you find running the 128 when everyone else had the 64? Did you have some compatibility issues? Did you ever use the 128 side of things? I wouldn't mind a real 128, but I will emulate until a good machine comes up at the right price.
Old 03 February 2022, 13:08   #4
chip

I owned a C128 too

Never had compatibility issue with C64 stuff

And yes, i used C128 itself for a little of programming
Old 03 February 2022, 13:37   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Welcome!

You will find we are are all around the same age and with similar stories... Atari 800XL was not bad machine, I still emulate Atari 8Bit.

I found MiSTer FPGA useful and much easier to work with then real hardware, but for some reason I dislike premade setups such as MegaAGS - I find myself more looking through it then playing / watching anything on it. (the same with PiMigga )

I have couple of setups for nostalgia (A500, A500+, A500+ with HD, A1200 and A1200 with HD) and would mostly play ADFs and WHDLoad from WB. I tend not to install too many games. I wish they add SPS (IPF images) support to minimig core)

Recently I went through AF disks, exploring all hacks and stuff (mostly pictures, animations) they had on disks. Good ol' nostalgia...
Old 03 February 2022, 13:51   #6
khph_re

Welcome old fart, from another old fart!

It's always nice hearing peoples stories, so thanks for yours :-)

Atari 800XL? Posh! I was probably on a zx81 at the time.

Welcome to EAB!
Old 03 February 2022, 14:57   #7
RWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Welcome RWE. Great story. How did you find running the 128 when everyone else had the 64? Did you have some compatibility issues? Did you ever use the 128 side of things? I wouldn't mind a real 128, but I will emulate until a good machine comes up at the right price.
Thank you
I cannot remember any difficulties at all with running the 128 in c64 mode. There could have been, though. I played around a bit with CP/M on the 128, but that was futile. We also had some 128 office type software that my father intended to use, but as I adopted the computer as a c64 he rapidly gave up.
Old 03 February 2022, 15:15   #8
RWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Welcome!

You will find we are are all around the same age and with similar stories... Atari 800XL was not bad machine, I still emulate Atari 8Bit.

I found MiSTer FPGA useful and much easier to work with then real hardware, but for some reason I dislike premade setups such as MegaAGS - I find myself more looking through it then playing / watching anything on it. (the same with PiMigga )

I have couple of setups for nostalgia (A500, A500+, A500+ with HD, A1200 and A1200 with HD) and would mostly play ADFs and WHDLoad from WB. I tend not to install too many games. I wish they add SPS (IPF images) support to minimig core)

Recently I went through AF disks, exploring all hacks and stuff (mostly pictures, animations) they had on disks. Good ol' nostalgia...
Thank you

I know what you mean about premade setups, I actually end up using mostly ADF images myself, and also keep switching between the different hw setups for compability. I do prefer ADF or native HD installs if possible, somehow I can't get used to the sandbox aspect of WHDload (But I really approve of it and find it awesome, I do use it). I imported most of the settings from my old 1200 hd into the megaags, and boot it directly into workbench. Directory Opus and CLI FTW
Old 03 February 2022, 15:30   #9
RWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
Welcome old fart, from another old fart!

It's always nice hearing peoples stories, so thanks for yours :-)

Atari 800XL? Posh! I was probably on a zx81 at the time.

Welcome to EAB!
Hehe, thanks. My father was not rich, but he spent some money on technology...

I never experienced the magic of the zx81. British machines were rarely seen where I grew up (Southern Norway).

Last edited by RWE; 14 February 2022 at 13:10. Reason: Removing personal info not relevant