English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 July 2021, 01:07   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: Turbo Kart Racer

Well here we go again with another SGT video review and this time round I will be torturing myself by playing Turbo Kart Racer on the CPC

This game was actually requested by 3 youtubers at the same time to play and shit-rate this so how can I possibly ignore this game, could it be that bad?! ,....YEP!

Enjoy,...if you can
[ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo kart texy88.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	72569  
Old 19 July 2021, 10:17   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ah but it moves so smoothly at 5fps.
Old 19 July 2021, 18:24   #3
Nobby_UK

I doubt it was even 5
Old 19 July 2021, 18:33   #4
rothers

CPC had hardware scrolling... next to zero games used it. It's like the ST->Amiga ports but so so much worse...
Old 20 July 2021, 05:12   #5
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
CPC had hardware scrolling... next to zero games used it. It's like the ST->Amiga ports but so so much worse...
To be fair, 1 pixel horizontal scrolling in mode 0 is very difficult and relies on the monitor handling non-standard sync timing. Virtually no games used it because the technique wasn't officially documented or known about by most programmers. As far as I know it is not possible to achieve 1 pixel horizontal scrolling in mode 1 (the mode this game runs in).

This game sucks, but the CPC's weak support for hardware scrolling is largely to blame. The same game on the Amiga would be a piece of cake to do in comparison. You could probably do it in AmigaBASIC and get smooth animation at 50Hz.

The reason this game sucks is that the designers tried to make the CPC do something it wasn't good at, perhaps because the game was a straight port from the ZX Spectrum.
Old 20 July 2021, 12:54   #6
rothers

Oh I know Amstrad didn't even document the hardware features, and it's a shame. It's good to see new games using them, though. Makes you realise the CPC was probably the most powerful of the popular 8bits.

... if you accept those hardware features being used.
Old 20 July 2021, 13:32   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

tbh cool game really.
I've watched a few of these and the guys that narrates them is proper bitter, moaning etc , yeah not a big fan of his vids.
Old 20 July 2021, 19:05   #8
Nobby_UK

Then why watch ?
Old 20 July 2021, 23:22   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It's kind of ironic that Retro is moaning about someone moaning I guess he can stay anyway.
Old 23 July 2021, 07:08   #10
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Ah but it moves so smoothly at 5fps.
Why the heck is it only 5fps? I've seen BBC Micro games that zipped along faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
This shit game reminded me of Rally Speedway on the Atari 8-Bit: much zippier, chunkier but plays better, is OLDER and looks gorgeous in full 50/60 fps (YouTube videos don't do it justice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
tbh cool game really.
I've watched a few of these and the guys that narrates them is proper bitter, moaning etc , yeah not a big fan of his vids.
Retro1234, this is NOT a "cool game". And someone has to call out quality control on these poor games, especially when spending money to buy them is involved.
Old 23 July 2021, 15:03   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post

Retro1234, this is NOT a "cool game". And someone has to call out quality control on these poor games, especially when spending money to buy them is involved.
Yes.

~30+ years ago that should have happened. Now we gripe and groan about what could have been and what shouldn't have been.