English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 May 2021, 00:32   #21
anotherlife

Can't get youtube to work. Just gray screen
Old 13 May 2021, 00:38   #22
AMIGASYSTEM

Requirements:

Wayfarer requires MorphOS 3.15 and at least 1GB of RAM. A 1.5GHz or faster CPU with Altivec highly recommended.

https://wayfarer.icu/faq
Old 13 May 2021, 18:57   #23
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlife View Post
Can't get youtube to work. Just gray screen
What kind of setup you have? Wayfarer requires overlay support from the graphics card for videos, and then you also have to enable media playback settings...

And BTW. Wayfarer is already at the version 1.19:
https://wayfarer.icu/history
Old 20 June 2021, 01:23   #24
tolkien
AmigaMan

Wayfarer Version 2.0

Rebased to latest stable WebKitGTK (2.32.1)

Implemented Dark Mode

Fixed a crash in HLS video playback

Worked around an issue preventing sites from loading, etc after quit confirmation requester got cancelled

Fixed webkit message log functionality that crashed if the resulting message contained formatting sequences

Changed rendering of elements like checkmarks that were missing on some websites

Out-of-RAM crashes no longer bring up the Send Bugreport messagebox
Old 20 June 2021, 04:24   #25
Matt_H

Quote:
Implemented Dark Mode
Sigh. Do we really need to jump on this silly Dark Mode bandwagon? Can't the same thing be achieved globally (or per-app!) through MUI settings/themes?

</rant>
Old 20 June 2021, 08:00   #26
tolkien
AmigaMan

Hey Matt_H!
We have an modern and updated browser and are we going to cry for a Dark mode?

This mode is for websites that support it so dont know if it can be a generic MUI thing related.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 June 2021, 09:27   #27
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Sigh. Do we really need to jump on this silly Dark Mode bandwagon? Can't the same thing be achieved globally (or per-app!) through MUI settings/themes?
</rant>
This Dark Mode option affects to contents of a page, not the GUI. So if a web page designer has decided to offer two looks for a page, this setting affects then. And it's purely optional in Wayfarer (globally or per site), so I don't see much complaining. It's just yet another thing in the modern web that is supported now.

And here's what jacadcaps also commented about the 2.0 release:

"While the 'Rebased to latest stable WebKitGTK (2.32.1)' entry may seem insignificant, it was actually quite a bit of work to get this to run smoothly. There were several endianness regressions (bugs) in JavaScriptCore that I've tracked down and fixed together with Daniel Kolesa (Void Linux). Many, many interfaces in WebCore have changed and those changes had to be reflected in my code (even if they were simple type/enum changes 70% of the time). Still, a working rebase proves that there's future for Wayfarer and 1.x wasn't just a one-off."

And Piru, who's also been involved in the Wayfarer development, said that this is probably the first time ever when an Amiga(like) web browser is this up-to-date and the engine is basically the same as in the latest Safari now.

Last edited by jPV; 20 June 2021 at 09:48.
Old 20 June 2021, 17:39   #28
Matt_H

Ok, ok, point taken!
I think the whole Dark Mode UX trend in the industry in general is silly, hence I thought it’s unfortunate that labor needs to be spent on it that could be applied elsewhere. But yes, it is quite an accomplishment that we have feature parity with Safari, so I guess kudos are in order for that.
Old 20 June 2021, 22:07   #29
kriz

I love the dark modes, dont want my living room full of light with these big screens we got these days Even use the Dark Reader plugin for Firefox to manually add dark mode to any site (like eab ) !! And really nice to see this new browser, amazing work !!!!
Old 20 June 2021, 22:08   #30
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Ok, ok, point taken!
I think the whole Dark Mode UX trend in the industry in general is silly, hence I thought it’s unfortunate that labor needs to be spent on it that could be applied elsewhere. But yes, it is quite an accomplishment that we have feature parity with Safari, so I guess kudos are in order for that.
Why do you think it's silly. I personally find not staring at a bright white screen all day much better on my eyes ?
Old 20 June 2021, 22:52   #31
Matt_H

I don’t want to derail this thread any further, but I’ll just say that my frustration with Dark Mode originates with the industry attitude being something like “zomg! apple dark mode!!!111oneone so revolutionary omg omg” whereas we’ve had practically the same ability on the Amiga for decades through MUI, Palette prefs, etc.

Bottom line, it annoys me to use Apple’s terminology and thus implicitly acknowledge them as an innovator when all they’ve really done is create some palette presets.

Let’s start a new thread if anyone wants to discuss further.

We now return to our regular praise of the good work being done by the MorphOS folks.
Old 21 June 2021, 06:04   #32
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
And Piru, who's also been involved in the Wayfarer development, said that this is probably the first time ever when an Amiga(like) web browser is this up-to-date and the engine is basically the same as in the latest Safari now.
That's really crazy amazing.
Now if they somehow were able to make it out of the PPC ghetto hardware wise, MOS would be a serious contender for my next daily driver system.
Old 21 June 2021, 10:51   #33
kriz

Indeed the AMD64 MorphOS port have been shown at shows, this application would kickstart the OS on that platform that is for sure... Let`s hope for some news soon again about it ..