English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 30 January 2021, 17:45   #3961
DamienD
Banned

Started playing Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars.

Have made a change to the settings in-game; basically changed the speed of fighting from "Normal" --> "Fast". This means I've updated the .HDF...

So please just download / extract this archive into "C:\WinUAE"
Old 31 January 2021, 11:47   #3962
stevearm

Hi just came stumbled upon this master piece having reading through this thread and would love to have this running on my setup
Thx
Old 01 February 2021, 10:30   #3963
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevearm View Post
Hi just came stumbled upon this master piece having reading through this thread and would love to have this running on my setup
Thx
Heya stevearm,

PMs sent
Old 01 February 2021, 11:25   #3964
stevearm

Thank you very much DamienD,your a gent cant wait to use your masterpiece
Thx for your hard work
Old 01 February 2021, 15:23   #3965
zoodah

Have I missed Pack 47 part 2?
Old 01 February 2021, 15:43   #3966
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodah View Post
Nope.
Old 01 February 2021, 16:15   #3967
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodah View Post
There is no "Update Pack #47 - Part 2"; at least I haven't created one as yet...

You should always check the 2nd post of this thread in relation to released "Update Packs"

I always keep the 1st post and 2nd post of this thread as up-to-date as possible
Old 01 February 2021, 16:29   #3968
profo

i am almost done... could dl the last 2 files today... mega is mega bs...
Also transferred all (so far) to my old laptop.
After unpacking the remaining stuff robocopy will do its job
The End is nigh!
Old 01 February 2021, 18:10   #3969
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I've never play any HoMM games before; they are actually really cool

One small issue though...

With "Heroes of Might and Magic", you can save / load a "Standard Game" and a "Campaign Game" without issue.

With "Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars", you can save / load a "Standard Game" fine. With a "Campaign Game" however, you can save but when you load WinUAE freezes completely.

Really not sure why this occurs; in "Basilisk II for Windows" this works fine.

Although it's not really recommended, I guess you'll have to use "Save States" for a "Campaign Game" in the 2nd game of the series...
Today I've been playing around in the hope that somehow I can get saved games to load in ShapeShifter without the system completely locking up / freezing.

I read through the Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars page; and it seems like even real MAC users are having this same issue:

Quote:
by CB60 - 2009, August 11 - 4:27am
Works under Classic - but you can't load saved games...
...but then I read this:

Quote:
by abasu1979 - 2014, March 4 - 8:14am
Strange: whilst saved games don't load on OS 9, they load on OS 8.6!
So thought I'd try the game in my MAC OS 8.1 .HFV file, but same issue unfortunately.

I then tried installing MAC OS 8.5 and 8.6 but they don't work in "Basilisk II for Windows"

Next I tried installing MAC OS 8.0, but again the same issue...

Finally, I tried increasing the RAM to 128MB but made no difference.

There was another interesting post on Macintosh Garden, but alas nobody seems to have or atleast uploaded:

Quote:
by smithfield - 2009, October 10 - 3:46pm
There is an official patch which fixes this problem. I have not been able to track it down. But somebody's gotta have it!
Anyway, I'm out of ideas... guess "Save States" it is for this game.

Edit: what's really strange is that in "Basilisk II for Windows" loading of saved games works in MAC OS 7.5.5 / 8.0 / 8.1...
Old 01 February 2021, 20:56   #3970
DamienD
Banned

Well, looks like I can't really use "Save States" after all

I made one after beating "Scenario 1", and at the start of "Scenario 2".

After many hours of play, I beat this scenario:
...but then the game crashed with the following:

I guess the only way to play this game via an Amiga is to use the following, which I'm yet to try:

Quote:
Mac 68k ports / conversions:
  • Heroes of Might and Magic II [meynaf]: thread
...or keep playing until you complete the game and don't quit WinUAE

Last edited by DamienD; 01 February 2021 at 22:36. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 01 February 2021, 23:52   #3971
Aardvark

I don't get any HOMM2 loading errors with MacOS 7.6.1 and Performa 580/588 ROM. It could be caused by incorrect hard disk sector values in Shapeshifter GUI.
Old 02 February 2021, 00:50   #3972
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I don't get any HOMM2 loading errors with MacOS 7.6.1 and Performa 580/588 ROM. It could be caused by incorrect hard disk sector values in Shapeshifter GUI.
I think it's possibly due to using "Save States". If I just play the game normally and complete "Scenario 1", there are no issues.

This only occurred when loading a "Save State" taken at the beginning of "Scenario 2", then completing this scenario.

...but I'd appreciate if you could explain further please Aardvark?

As far as I'm aware, I haven't seen / changed any "hard disk sector values in Shapeshifter GUI".

Also, can you confirm that you are able to save / load "Campaign" games without issue in Mac OS 7.6.1?

Last edited by DamienD; 02 February 2021 at 01:00.
Old 02 February 2021, 02:12   #3973
Aardvark

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, I haven't seen / changed any "hard disk sector values in Shapeshifter GUI".
If you haven't seen them, I guess you're using FileDisks. It's on the same page though.

Quote:
Also, can you confirm that you are able to save / load "Campaign" games without issue in Mac OS 7.6.1?
Yes, campaign saves are loading fine, with both CD-Rip and full CD version. Maybe it's an issue with FileDisks, I've never used them.
Old 02 February 2021, 05:04   #3974
Michael G

Damien, Your collection is amazing.

I have asked Damien countless questions about setup and different configurations. Every time Damien responded quickly and was extremely helpful sorting out the issues I encountered. (Some of which I caused myself and a few that had I known what I needed to search for, were already answered in the forum).

Over the last week I have had a blast, replaying some of the games I originally owned on my Amiga 500. Fast load times and the included trainers make such a difference especially for the more difficult games. I even found found some games I had forgotten about easily thanks to the fantastic game art in the GUI.

Unfortunately my Amiga 500 stopped working long ago so here's a big thankyou for taking the time to create this collection.
Old 02 February 2021, 09:33   #3975
sgrth2k

Hi DamienD,

I am an old Dos gamer and interested too much on Amiga gaming these days.

As i see, your WinUAE collection is the best good packed collection.

Any way to get the link to access for Base Install and all update packs, please?

Thanks a lot for your work.
Esgaroth2k
Old 02 February 2021, 10:50   #3976
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
If you haven't seen them, I guess you're using FileDisks. It's on the same page though.
Yeah, I always use .HFV files... and haven't had any issues previously.
I'm willing to try "DeviceDisks" if that fixes the issue, just need to work out exactly what I need to do.

Quote:
Yes, campaign saves are loading fine, with both CD-Rip and full CD version. Maybe it's an issue with FileDisks, I've never used them.
That's awesome that this works for you, I'm sure you've read my post above where it seems a lot of real Mac users are also having this issue.

This is what happens when I try to load a saved Campaign game; and the system totally freezes:
I'm using the .BIN and .CUE files; maybe I should also try the CD-Rip.
Old 02 February 2021, 12:40   #3977
DamienD
Banned

After further discussion with Aardvark, it seems that even on his set up loading of saved "Campaign" games is also not working correctly

Funny that loading of saved "Standard" games work fine though... wish it was the other way around.

Even "Multi-Player" games save / load correctly.

Guess we are now out of ideas in regards to this; real shame, and again strange that all works fine in "Basilisk II for Windows" with any MAC OS.

Last edited by DamienD; 02 February 2021 at 13:45.
Old 02 February 2021, 14:05   #3978
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrth2k View Post
Hi DamienD,

I am an old Dos gamer and interested too much on Amiga gaming these days.

As i see, your WinUAE collection is the best good packed collection.

Any way to get the link to access for Base Install and all update packs, please?

Thanks a lot for your work.
Esgaroth2k
Ok, PMs sent
Old 02 February 2021, 14:10   #3979
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
Damien, Your collection is amazing.

I have asked Damien countless questions about setup and different configurations. Every time Damien responded quickly and was extremely helpful sorting out the issues I encountered. (Some of which I caused myself and a few that had I known what I needed to search for, were already answered in the forum).

Over the last week I have had a blast, replaying some of the games I originally owned on my Amiga 500. Fast load times and the included trainers make such a difference especially for the more difficult games. I even found found some games I had forgotten about easily thanks to the fantastic game art in the GUI.

Unfortunately my Amiga 500 stopped working long ago so here's a big thankyou for taking the time to create this collection.
Heya Michael,

Appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback
Old 02 February 2021, 17:15   #3980
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
After further discussion with Aardvark, it seems that even on his set up loading of saved "Campaign" games is also not working correctly

Funny that loading of saved "Standard" games work fine though... wish it was the other way around.

Even "Multi-Player" games save / load correctly.

Guess we are now out of ideas in regards to this; real shame, and again strange that all works fine in "Basilisk II for Windows" with any MAC OS.
Ok, have done some more tests.

Last time when I finished "Scenario 1", I did so without making any "Save States"; and the next scenario loaded fine

I've just spend the past 4 hours starting the game again, making numerous "Save States", and then finally beat "Scenario 1":
Crash, just like before when I finished "Scenario 2":

So as we all know:
  • Unfortunately saving / loading "Campaign" games natively freezes the system.
  • Using "Save States" means that when you finish the scenario you will get errors before the next loads.

This means you could still effectively finish the game but you cannot exit WinUAE...

Last edited by DamienD; 02 February 2021 at 17:25.