English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 April 2022, 22:32   #21
Daedalus

So it was atapi.device you were trying to use for the IDE CD-ROM, yes?
Old 17 April 2022, 22:35   #22
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
So it was atapi.device you were trying to use for the IDE CD-ROM, yes?
I tried that, I tried SCSI.device, and a couple others people had recommended.
Old 18 April 2022, 07:17   #23
PerspexSphinx

Oh… found the spec sheet and manual. I looked once a long time ago and found nothing but now I found it sort of right away.

Panasonic Quad Speed PCMCIA CD-ROM Player Model No: KXL-D740

I used it quite successfully through a CSA_12-Gaugee accelarator’s SCSI interface but now I was wondering if it would work through a Panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM SCSI Interface Card?

It says in the specs it - Connects to a Notebook Computer Through a Standard PCMCIA Type II Card.

Page from manual -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connecting to a notebook.png
Views:	46
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	75338  
Old 18 April 2022, 07:24   #24
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspexSphinx View Post
Oh… found the spec sheet and manual. I looked once a long time ago and found nothing but now I found it sort of right away.

Panasonic Quad Speed PCMCIA CD-ROM Player Model No: KXL-D740

I used it quite successfully through a CSA_12-Gaugee accelarator’s SCSI interface but now I was wondering if it would work through a Panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM SCSI Interface Card?

It says in the specs it - Connects to a Notebook Computer Through a Standard PCMCIA Type II Card.

Page from manual -
I have not yet tried the PCMCIA card, which I also have. It will be interesting to see if it does however. It is a SCSI CD drive though so not sure if the port on the A1200 would actually support that.. Would have to look it up.
Old 19 April 2022, 13:07   #25
andy2004
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to andy2004
yes it would.. you never heard of the squirrel scsi adatper.. basically a PCMCIA card with cable with a scsi connector on the end..
I used to have one.. PowerComputing.. cdrom and cable originally costing £199.. back in the day..
Old 19 April 2022, 22:42   #26
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2004 View Post
yes it would.. you never heard of the squirrel scsi adatper.. basically a PCMCIA card with cable with a scsi connector on the end..
I used to have one.. PowerComputing.. cdrom and cable originally costing £199.. back in the day..
I have heard of Squirrel scsi, just never knew THAT was part of it. So to make it work, we just install squirrel scsi and set up the mount entry for that and it should be good to go?
Old 20 April 2022, 00:11   #27
PerspexSphinx

Didn’t the Squirrel SCSI Adapter come with a squirrelscsi.device,?
Would the Panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM SCSI Interface Card work with this?
In other words is the squirrelscsi.device a generic PCMCIA SCSI Interface Card driver (if driver is the right name for a “.device”) and if so, where would one get it?
Old 20 April 2022, 06:40   #28
Malakie

Quote:
In other words is the squirrelscsi.device a generic PCMCIA SCSI Interface Card driver (if driver is the right name for a “.device”) and if so, where would one get it?
I have no idea where my original disks for this panasonic drive and the card are.. Unless I can find a copy online.. but I assume it has to be similar or compatible with the same named Amiga version.
Old 20 April 2022, 08:56   #29
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Bromigo! Google is your friend

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/squirrel

I’ve a couple of these. Be aware the cable comes with the 50-pin Centronics SCSI-I connector. So you probably need an adapter.

Last edited by Leon Besson; 20 April 2022 at 09:02.
Old 20 April 2022, 09:01   #30
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
I have no idea where my original disks for this panasonic drive and the card are.. Unless I can find a copy online.. but I assume it has to be similar or compatible with the same named Amiga version.
The only way I know of to use a SCSI device on an Amiga is the following;

- Squirrel PCMCIA card
- An accelerator Card with a built in or add-on SCSI adapter such as Phase 5/DCE, GVP, Apollo etc..
- Big Box Amigas or those with Mediator, Micronik, Prometheus add-ons that can use PCI, Zorro SCSI cards.

I would completely ignore the PCMCIA card adapter that comes with that device as there are probably no Amiga Specific drivers to make it work.
Old 20 April 2022, 12:21   #31
Jope
-

Quote:
Unfortunately the Squirrel drivers will only work with the Squirrel. On that subject, the Squirrels were nod made to the PCMCIA spec, so they will only work in an Amiga.

As for the second point, to my knowledge there is no generic PCMCIA SCSI implementation, each card has their own driver.
Old 20 April 2022, 19:21   #32
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Bromigo! Google is your friend

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/squirrel

I’ve a couple of these. Be aware the cable comes with the 50-pin Centronics SCSI-I connector. So you probably need an adapter.
I don't use google (or twitter or facebook) but I get your point. And not sure what you are saying comes with a 50 pin centronics connector because neither of the two I have owned for 30 years comes with that.

They both have the smaller connector to microDB 50 connector to a 25 pin SCSI connector as well as the same microDB 50 to the special SCSI cable to the SCSI PCMCIA card. Neither uses centronics.

I have used these before on Amiga plenty of times. Wanted to see if they would work via the PCMCIA port also but I am seeing a lot of different ideas of whether they will or will not work.
Old 20 April 2022, 20:09   #33
Matt_H

Quote:
Wanted to see if they would work via the PCMCIA port also but I am seeing a lot of different ideas of whether they will or will not work.

The Panasonic PCMCIA card will not work in an Amiga. There's no driver for it.

Yes, the Squirrel is another PCMCIA SCSI peripheral, but that doesn't mean its driver is compatible. It would be like trying to use gvpscsi.device to access a 2091 card. They're both Zorro II SCSI cards, but they're different designs and require different drivers.
Old 20 April 2022, 20:12   #34
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
The Panasonic PCMCIA card will not work in an Amiga. There's no driver for it.

Yes, the Squirrel is another PCMCIA SCSI peripheral, but that doesn't mean its driver is compatible. It would be like trying to use gvpscsi.device to access a 2091 card. They're both Zorro II SCSI cards, but they're different designs and require different drivers.
Ahh ok so same name but not same thing... figures.
Old 20 April 2022, 20:30   #35
Daedalus

Quote:
I don't use google (or twitter or facebook) but I get your point.
Insert your favourite, stick-it-to-the-man search engine here.

Quote:
And not sure what you are saying comes with a 50 pin centronics connector because neither of the two I have owned for 30 years comes with that.
That's because he's not talking about anything that you have. He's talking about the Squirrel interface, which is the only way to use SCSI via the PCMCIA port, and it comes with the Centronics connector. Which is why he said you'd probably need an adaptor.

Quote:
Ahh ok so same name but not same thing... figures.
Panasonic and Squirrel look like different names to me. For a modern analogy, NVidia and AMD graphics cards both fit in the same slot and connect to the same displays using the same connectors, but you can't be expecting GeForce drivers to work on Radeon cards.
Old 22 April 2022, 03:52   #36
grelbfarlk

Was there never a driver for an Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI card? A lot of them were Cardbus, obviously those wouldn't work. But I thought at some point someone wrote a driver for that?