English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 06 February 2022, 12:07   #1821
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Hey earok, using the latest build no levels load, black screen of death after the start menu. Tried 4 or 5 different levels to to make sure it wasn't one in particular. I perhaps need to make an adjustment somewhere?

Last build I can use safely is the first one with tsak logo.
Send me a copy of your game and I'll have a look
Old 06 February 2022, 14:26   #1822
acidbottle

Started a git repository and inv sent, hope it reaches you well! Cheers earok
Old 06 February 2022, 15:43   #1823
domkid

Amiga Addict Mag: Issue 10 is now available with an interview by Earok about the popular Scorpion engine...
Old 07 February 2022, 00:00   #1824
earok

Quote:
Started a git repository and inv sent, hope it reaches you well! Cheers earok
Got it! Thanks for setting up a repo. I'll see if I can work out what the issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domkid View Post
Amiga Addict Mag: Issue 10 is now available with an interview by Earok about the popular Scorpion engine...
Much appreciated!
Old 07 February 2022, 00:35   #1825
earok

Just checked in a quick fix for the freezing issue seen in Wonderboy to experimental
Old 07 February 2022, 11:41   #1826
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by domkid View Post
hey guys, just to let you know that Maria Renard's Revenge is on standby, for the Wip on Rick Dangerous for AmigameJam with Troudki (Z-Team).
[ Show youtube player ]
@domkid : While browsing the Amiga Game Jam entries, my eyes stopped on your colleague nickname (that I haven't noticed before) and I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes. So first of all thanks to him (no sarcasm, laughing like that was really relaxing ). In fact his nickname made me laugh because regarding how we pronounce it in FR it is in relation with a moment in the Mell Brooks' movie "Spaceballs"
[ Show youtube player ]
PS: really nice work done on Rick Dangerous
Old 07 February 2022, 12:50   #1827
domkid

@malko, His nickname here is z-team thanks
Old 07 February 2022, 16:02   #1828
griffon

@earok On latest experimental, I tried to assign a fractional actor_xspeed with set actor_xspeed in a codeblock and I get error: fractions not supported, even if they do work on the actor page.

Also note -and that might be a localization problem- that while the actor tab accepts fraction in the local system (fractions use commas), in the codeblock I get Unknown Symbol if I use comma for fractions, and Fractions not supported if I use period for fractions.
Old 07 February 2022, 23:49   #1829
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Just checked in a quick fix for the freezing issue seen in Wonderboy to experimental
Awesome, back in the groove again, many thanks
Old 08 February 2022, 00:17   #1830
earok

Quote:
Awesome, back in the groove again, many thanks
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon View Post
@earok On latest experimental, I tried to assign a fractional actor_xspeed with set actor_xspeed in a codeblock and I get error: fractions not supported, even if they do work on the actor page.

Also note -and that might be a localization problem- that while the actor tab accepts fraction in the local system (fractions use commas), in the codeblock I get Unknown Symbol if I use comma for fractions, and Fractions not supported if I use period for fractions.
Only use actor->set speed for that, not base->set variable. Fractions are (currently) not supported with the set variable command at all.
Old 08 February 2022, 00:28   #1831
acidbottle

Quote:
Great!

Only use actor->set speed for that, not base->set variable. Fractions are (currently) not supported with the set variable command at all.
Ahhh crap, I jumped the gun a bit earok, sorry. I get a black screen after picking up the fairy powerup on level 1 weirdly, may be in other spots not tested.

On the flipside, it seems to run with far less framedrop on stock a500 settings with 2mb chip and some fast!

Last edited by acidbottle; 08 February 2022 at 00:38.
Old 08 February 2022, 01:09   #1832
griffon

Quote:
Great!

OOh, gotcha. On the same subject... If I, say, divide a variable by 10, does it get rounded up or down someway, or the decimals are just dropped? I have the impression that var/10 = int(var/10)
Old 08 February 2022, 04:38   #1833
earok

Quote:
Ahhh crap, I jumped the gun a bit earok, sorry. I get a black screen after picking up the fairy powerup on level 1 weirdly, may be in other spots not tested.

On the flipside, it seems to run with far less framedrop on stock a500 settings with 2mb chip and some fast!
I can't replicate the bug, it's possible my very latest checked in changes could have fixed it though. Picked up the fairy with no issues, though it started acting bizarrely after I died shortly after (seemed to freeze up with a blue sky screen and the tree line at the bottom of the screen), not sure if that was a known lingering issue or not.

If the fairly thing is still a bug, please give me a check in where the bug happens within a second or two of playing. It takes me a minute or so to play through the level to get to the fairy and I'm not very good at it so I almost died along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon View Post
OOh, gotcha. On the same subject... If I, say, divide a variable by 10, does it get rounded up or down someway, or the decimals are just dropped? I have the impression that var/10 = int(var/10)
Decimals are just dropped.

If you were to make a game with, for example, a door with an electronic lock with four digits:

- To add numbers, just multiply your number by ten and add the new number. eg "doorcode = doorcode * 10 + 2" would change 0111 into 1112

- To subtract the last number, just divide by ten. eg "doorcode = doorcode / 10" would change 1112 back into 0111.

----

Today's experimental check in fixed Teleporting across levels, some minor tweaks as I continue to tidy up the code base. No real new features to speak of
Old 08 February 2022, 10:34   #1834
acidbottle

Oops sorry earok, didnt mean to open a can of worms there, was a quick observation during a test test run. Will check in a proper and suitable build later tonight if needed.

Do have a number of glitchy effects upon death so I think I need to go through the death codeblock at some point.
Old 09 February 2022, 00:33   #1835
acidbottle

New check-in earok, nasties are not as nasty on the way now Also seems to reset the player on the left edge of the screen upon death which is new! If it works fine on first run, esc key to menu and retry always bugs it out.
Old 09 February 2022, 00:35   #1836
earok

Quote:
Oops sorry earok, didnt mean to open a can of worms there, was a quick observation during a test test run. Will check in a proper and suitable build later tonight if needed.

Do have a number of glitchy effects upon death so I think I need to go through the death codeblock at some point.
No worries at all!

---

Latest check in to experimental branch:

- Various minor fixes and another round of work simplifying the core engine. In particular a fairly large number of redundant variables in "vm_registers" have been culled.

- ANIM5 related fixes for memory consumption, also made it so that an ANIM5 can be played in the middle of a level (interrupting the level but returning to it immediately after the ANIM5 is finished).

- Added "startup" as a codeblocks event for levels. Note that this uses the level timer function, so for example if you've got code like:

Code:
loadlevel mylevel
some other action
return
"some other action" will execute before the event you've triggered from the startup event (but the startup event should trigger while the level is still faded out)
Old 09 February 2022, 01:05   #1837
earok

Quote:
New check-in earok, nasties are not as nasty on the way now Also seems to reset the player on the left edge of the screen upon death which is new! If it works fine on first run, esc key to menu and retry always bugs it out.
Went to check wonderboy and found there was a bug that caused a freeze when music was unloaded, so I've fixed that music bug with the very latest experimental check in.

I couldn't replicate the bug with reset to the left edge of the screen? Maybe it's something that was fixed by something else I did, but I played, ran to the snail, died, quit, started again, ran to the snail, died, it didn't seem to start on the left edge.

I did notice that eggs seem to fly into space now, not sure if that's because of something I've done but I won't be able to investigate today.

---

Edit: Checked in a fix for yielding which in turn fixed the bug with eggs flying into space on Wonderboy. That was kind of funny to see though.

Last edited by earok; 09 February 2022 at 03:25.
Old 09 February 2022, 11:28   #1838
acidbottle

Thanks for checking it out so quickly. Alas, I still have the left edge bug as well as the black screen freeze on fairy egg collect, normally after going back to menu and restarting.

Happy to report that there are no eggs going into orbit though haha

Is pretty quiet in here again, anyone else experiencing anomalies or just my shambolic code?
Old 09 February 2022, 12:11   #1839
UltraNarwhal

Quote:
Is pretty quiet in here again, anyone else experiencing anomalies or just my shambolic code?
I was going to say only your bad luck, but then I noticed a problem on my game

Camera doesn't follow player after dying and respawning (active_checkpoint & dummy_player_respawn codeblocks), tried unticking reset to disable stop camera follow and adding follow player elsewhere.
Old 09 February 2022, 22:12   #1840
earok

@ultranarwall ran out of time this morning but will check it out later on

@acidbottle investigated a little further and it seems there's some bug with music triggering causing black screens, I'll investigate a little deeper when I have time.

Just curious, how come a two button pad is required? You should be able to have the second button jump and up to jump buttons ticked simultaneously.