English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 January 2023, 22:05   #1
AmigaMark

Terrible Fire TF1260

I can't beleive that searching for TF1260 threw up no results?

Anyhow, I cannot get the bloody thing to work. All the YT videos seem to boot straight up after plugging it in. I can't.

I currently have a blizzard 1230 IV and a CF / IDE boot drive. I have tried booting from this (onboard IDE) with the TF1260 installed and it just loops through rainbow, activity, black, rainbow, activity , black, forever.

I have tried the supplied SD / IDE as a standalone boot (onboard IDE) and it just sits there , holding mice muttons does not bring up the boot menu.

Any advice on a good source of info for setting up? The supplied A4 page reckons it will boot into WB from supplied Sd/IDE. I have ROMS 3.1.4 and WB3.9

cheers in advance.
Old 23 January 2023, 22:06   #2
AmigaMark

PS I have been a member here for ages, and various other forums right back to 1990's but seem to have lost or forgot all my
credantials.
Old 23 January 2023, 22:42   #3
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaMark View Post

Anyhow, I cannot get the bloody thing to work. All the YT videos seem to boot straight up after plugging it in. I can't.

I currently have a blizzard 1230 IV and a CF / IDE boot drive. I have tried booting from this (onboard IDE) with the TF1260 installed and it just loops through rainbow, activity, black, rainbow, activity , black, forever.

I have tried the supplied SD / IDE as a standalone boot (onboard IDE) and it just sits there , holding mice muttons does not bring up the boot menu.

Any advice on a good source of info for setting up? The supplied A4 page reckons it will boot into WB from supplied Sd/IDE. I have ROMS 3.1.4 and WB3.9

cheers in advance.
So you plug in the Tf1260 and nothing happens just a black screen?

Clean the expansion port on the A1200 and then plug in the TF1260 all the way and then pull back 1mm, and try that.

Also have you had the timing fix done whereby you remove to ceramic caps under the board?
Old 23 January 2023, 22:47   #4
supaduper

Have you contacted the supplier of the TF1260 for help?, it just sounds like you have a bad system setup were the Roms and SD supplied too ?
Old 24 January 2023, 00:46   #5
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaMark View Post

cheers in advance.

Posts like this are usually posted in the forum section ”support/hardware/..”
Old 24 January 2023, 02:44   #6
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I had a similar issue when I forgot to install the 060 and MMU files first. After that the card booted okay.
Old 24 January 2023, 20:44   #7
AmigaMark

retropassionuk: I will check the timing fix, it is two caps i need to remove.

supaduper: I will when I have exhausted the possibly numpty moves I have or not made. SD yes, ROMs no plain 3.1.4 already in the Miggy

boingball: i did try the supplied SD /IDE in the Amiga IDE as the instructions do clearly state no booty from TF IDE unless new ROM

eXeler0: i hope i did not offend you

Amifan: good point. I have 68060 library and "Thought " i had installed MMUlib but you reminded me, i only PRETEND installed, DOH! try again.

Many thanks all , will go back and start again and keep you posted.
Old 24 January 2023, 21:38   #8
AmigaMark

AHA! I installed MMUlib for real and............nothing - except if i plug in the monitor cable it has booted perfectly. So that was it, I forgot that i only installed PRETEND .

So AMIfan was spot on. I assume the timing thing on my board must be ok, but will keep an eye on it.

Next, get a SYSinfo that doesnt crash after speed test, current one 39 mips and crashed, but drive speed up about 1 mb per second (2.4 to 3.5) all memory is showing too,

Final question, if add ehide.device to startup sequence, do I have an IDE channel via TF1260 (but cannot boot) i.e. a none booting IDE channel?
Old 24 January 2023, 22:46   #9
oscar_ates

What happened to the Warp 1260 project?
Old 26 January 2023, 04:57   #10
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Glad to hear you got it working! It was a bit of a mind change when I first got my TF1260, I was so used to the 030 cards working out of the box and not having to think to install extra software.
Old 03 February 2023, 07:56   #11
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
What happened to the Warp 1260 project?
They have delivered aprox 100 cards by now..
still going on strong. but. chipsupply is a bad issue hard to get those presky FPGAs.
Old 05 February 2023, 10:50   #12
oscar_ates

Corona is gone, chip supply issues should have disappeared right?
Old 05 February 2023, 11:08   #13
Chucky

well it is not that easy. orders have piled up. some plants are gone due to bankruptcy etc.. so no. it is not that easy..

it is SLOOOOOOOOWLY getting back to normality but sadly it still can take years.

also look at the covid situation WHERE those chips are manufacured.. and you will see a "little" thing...
Old 06 February 2023, 13:44   #14
Daedalus

Yup, Covid is still a thing. There were loads of other factors involved too though - chips were already in short supply before Covid due to massive changes in the GPU arena and resulting high demand (also demand from crypto mining), new technologies like USB-C and the huge increase in demand for IoT devices. Covid just made those issues much worse by restricting manufacturing capacity.

Also, at least one plant was destroyed in a fire, and it takes many years to build a chip fab and get it to an operational state, so global capacity is probably still lower than it was 3 years ago.
Old 09 February 2023, 15:52   #15
oscar_ates

Indeed, gpu prices are still over their recommended prices. Sorry for off-topic