English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 October 2004, 17:16   #1
Unregistered

Question Bad Floppy Drive???

Hi

I have an A1200 with internal HDD and have noticed recently that the Floppy Drive DF0 makes a few clunking sounds when there is no disk in it and the DF0??? appears on the workbench screen.
I loaded up a few games from floppy and they all booted 100% with no problems.

The drive clunks also when i have booted workbench from Floppy and the drive is empty.

This behaviour is erratic and sometimes disappears after several boots.I often leave the Amiga off for months at a time so could it be the drive behaving like this because it hasn't been used for a while or is it signs of a worn out/failing drive?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Old 03 October 2004, 17:24   #2
oldpx

Are you sure it's not the normal disk checking *click* sound? Amigas do that when there are no disks in the drive and is normal. Even if it is not a normal click, don't open your drive unless it's not working, you can misalign or completely kill it.

From http://de.aminet.net you can search for utilities that disable that normal disk checking sound, but only under workbench.

Old 03 October 2004, 18:05   #3
mbjb

I have had the machine for nearly 9 yrs and have always used a noclick command in the startup sequence script.Besides that i get the same probs when i boot workbench from floppy disc ie the df0??? icon appearing when i remove the floppy disk from the drive.

At least the drive still loads all disks when i boot from them (up till now so far)

Just wondered if the drive was on its way out - they are damn expensive to purchase now,buying a second hand amiga from ebay is often cheaper

Old 03 October 2004, 18:10   #4
RetroMan

Check the little pins in front of the drive, maybe the disk recognition pin is stuck, so it allways thinks a disk is inserted, even if you get it out of the drive
Old 03 October 2004, 18:16   #5
mbjb

Thanks - i'll give that a try

Old 04 October 2004, 10:19   #6
mbjb

Retroman -

Would those pins be the two black plastic ones on the left hand side of the front of the drive?

thanks

Old 04 October 2004, 12:11   #7
mbjb

Thanks - You were 100% correct,the little plastic sensor pin was a little sticky,everything is now working properly again.

Thanks for your great help

Old 04 October 2004, 20:10   #8
RetroMan

No Problem I allready had about 30 or 40 of those drives, it´s a very common problem
Old 05 October 2004, 08:58   #9
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
it´s a very common problem
Yeh, especially if the previous owner was a smoker. The tar really clogs up those switches.