English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 27 January 2021, 00:45   #61
Havie

I think my issue is linked to dual playfield as it appears that colour 8 (or colour 0 of the dual playfield is always black because when I set it to another colour it just refuses to change!

But I think I have a solution. If you can do me a 8 colour background and but don't use colour 0, I and replace the crater colour with the darkest blue, I can then use the copper to change the blue to black at the correct point on the screen (have already tried this and it works).

You will need to lower the moon slightly so as currently there is a bit of the blue on the left side and this creates a straight line that looks wrong. I hope this make sense?

Thanks for your help with this - nearly there!

(So much for just slotting it in - things are never that simple when programming the Miggy!)
Old 27 January 2021, 01:09   #62
Havie

Ok - so a keep your Invaders2 background but changed the dark blue above the moon to colour 13 (I think) which was the white. The craters are made with colour 8 so come out black and then changed the colour 13 to white down the bottom of the screen to get the white line on the bottom right. Here is the finished result:

This can be enhanced further by using the browns of the moon at other points on the background to reuse as other colours so for instance you can reinstate the white stars and white section on the space station. You could also add the black swirl coming off it and use another colour to add another shade of blue.

We could basically recreate the 16 colour background using 8 colours!

Time bed now!

Last edited by Havie; 27 January 2021 at 01:17.
Old 27 January 2021, 02:04   #63
Cobe

That came up really nice. I have some urge to play it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
I think my issue is linked to dual playfield as it appears that colour 8 (or colour 0 of the dual playfield is always black because when I set it to another colour it just refuses to change!
True.

And btw, I was also always wondering is there a way to force aga ppaint not to deal with aga 0-255 values but ocs 0-15.
Old 27 January 2021, 02:23   #64
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I would lower a bit the luminosity of the background to enhance readability of the front playfield but that is me
- actually i would even do some copperlist to have the blue increase a bit luminosity going down same as pretending there is the neon light behind the moon, however might simply not be worth the effort! -_-

Last edited by saimon69; 27 January 2021 at 02:32.
Old 27 January 2021, 09:33   #65
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I would lower a bit the luminosity of the background to enhance readability of the front playfield but that is me
- actually i would even do some copperlist to have the blue increase a bit luminosity going down same as pretending there is the neon light behind the moon, however might simply not be worth the effort! -_-
Yes - had similar thoughts. One more play today on the background and then I think I declare the game finished bar bug reporting!
Old 27 January 2021, 11:03   #66
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Ok - so a keep your Invaders2 background but changed the dark blue above the moon to colour 13 (I think) which was the white. The craters are made with colour 8 so come out black and then changed the colour 13 to white down the bottom of the screen to get the white line on the bottom right. Here is the finished result:

This can be enhanced further by using the browns of the moon at other points on the background to reuse as other colours so for instance you can reinstate the white stars and white section on the space station. You could also add the black swirl coming off it and use another colour to add another shade of blue.

We could basically recreate the 16 colour background using 8 colours!

Time bed now!
Awesome!!!

So you don't need me to do anything now?

The one thing I've noticed is that the game screen isn't centered (too far left), you can see with the score etc; this is why the barricades are not in the centre of the moon.

Possible for you to fix that?

Last edited by DamienD; 27 January 2021 at 11:12.
Old 27 January 2021, 15:02   #67
rothers

You know this would run fine in 32 colour mode if you use the white/green colour as collision detection.
Old 27 January 2021, 16:07   #68
AMIGASYSTEM

Coloring even the enemies would not be bad, in the old game "Invazion" as well as being colored are also fast and animated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9A...ew?usp=sharing
Old 27 January 2021, 17:52   #69
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
You know this would run fine in 32 colour mode if you use the white/green colour as collision detection.
DO NOT TELL ME THAT!!!!

To be fair - it just started as a example of how to do it and was never intended to be a game!

But I liked exploring the dual playfield stuff and never used RGB to change the RGB values of colours previously so more about learning. If I had gone with a straight 32 colour screen(had considered it) I would have had to use slower blit commands - probably not an issue as not blitting to much each frame but I was trying for maximum speed!
Old 27 January 2021, 17:54   #70
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Coloring even the enemies would not be bad, in the old game "Invazion" as well as being colored are also fast and animated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9A...ew?usp=sharing
Already in there - you have two colour schemes, original (press 1 or default) and coloured (press 2). The second is more like Space Invaders Part 2. Will upload when I have had a bit more of a go at the background.
Old 27 January 2021, 17:56   #71
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Awesome!!!

So you don't need me to do anything now?

The one thing I've noticed is that the game screen isn't centered (too far left), you can see with the score etc; this is why the barricades are not in the centre of the moon.

Possible for you to fix that?
Probably not as I just will add back the white stars using one of the browns coloured changed up the screen.

Off centre - maybe due to programming till 1pm in the morning! Should be fixable without too much trouble (but that's what I said about the background in the first place)...
Old 28 January 2021, 01:09   #72
Havie

Just move the moon a little he said! Hundreds of off-centre variables later - my final beta release is here! All being well, this will work for everyone. Then I can do a readme and thank helpers and upload to my website!

Pretty happy with the background - very close to the 16 colour one using only 8 colours but creating extra colours down the screen using the copper i.e the white stars are actually the same colour index as the orange moon colour. Another first for one of my games.

Also added the upside down Y and cheeky invader who nips in and corrects it!

Anyway, please play and post any comments/issues.

https://eab.abime.net/zone/Space%20Invaders.adf

Last edited by Havie; 28 January 2021 at 01:18. Reason: Added images.
Old 28 January 2021, 10:55   #73
DamienD
Banned

Awesome, well done Havie. Looks great!!!
Old 28 January 2021, 11:33   #74
Havie

Thanks - discovered a few bugs that I'll fix later but pleased with how it looks and thanks for all your help with the background.
Old 28 January 2021, 12:01   #75
zzbylu
Saberman

Gameplay - beta version:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 January 2021, 12:56   #76
Cobe

Oh you've added that invader stealing y thats legendary
Old 28 January 2021, 13:02   #77
JoeJoe

Nice one! I love "Space Invaders".
Old 29 January 2021, 00:10   #78
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Oh you've added that invader stealing y thats legendary
Possibly my favourite bit so had to be in there!
Old 31 January 2021, 11:57   #79
Marskilla

Hi There !

This project is quite interesting ! I though maybe I coud give a hand...

I'm sure you know there are two main versions of Space Invaders : Midway and Taito.Taito being the japanese original, Midway the US version.

Damien D made a great work with the Midway background. I thought maybe I could made something with the Taito background (my favorite).

I started working around the mame overlay file. I tried to make it "a little darker" to try to render the overlay effect. Then I tried to have a 32 colors 320x200 file and narrowed it a bit because it was not a regular 4:3 ratio.

Please feel free to use my work or not. You can have it as an option (midway / taito) or just don't use it. The IFF file I made is an attachement of this post.

Of course I'm no graphist it's just working around mame overlay. So I let you work around the copyright issues.

And sorry with my hazardous english. French people have a bad english level reputation to defend.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TaitoBack32.zip (17.2 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Marskilla; 31 January 2021 at 12:13.
Old 31 January 2021, 14:26   #80
Marskilla

And here is one with 8 colors.

(8 colors are very few !)

If I could use your palette with the mobs colors... Maybe I could produce something better.

Anyway, please feel free to use it or not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TaitoBack8.Iff.zip (8.6 KB, 148 views)