English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 March 2013, 11:41   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

ATX PSU stops after secs spinning

Hi:
I've bought an ATX Psu, http://www.ebay.es/itm/251215530780?...ht_3962wt_1187 .

+3.3v with 30A
+5v with 40A
+12v with 22A
-12v with 0.8A
+5vsb 2A (no idea what's vsb)

500W.

First I've tried it with Ian's adapter and it was running right, but as I don't want so many cables around I've cut them. I've connected brown and orange together, just like the original 20pin connector had, and also green and black together for power on. There is also another grey cable, PG (Power good) that I've left unconnected.

Well, the Psu starts (I've got nothing connected), but stops (the fan) after a few spinnings.

Shouldn't it work even with no load, just like it was with Ian's adaptor? Or it won't stay on if I don't connect some resistor to the 5v or 3v line?

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 March 2013 at 11:51.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:25   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

You've got nothing connected, you need to have something plugged in whether it's a floppy drive or a hard drive, doesn't need any controller into it just the power.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:26   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Hi:
I've bought an ATX Psu, http://www.ebay.es/itm/251215530780?...ht_3962wt_1187 .

+3.3v with 30A
+5v with 40A
+12v with 22A
-12v with 0.8A
+5vsb 2A (no idea what's vsb)

500W.

First I've tried it with Ian's adapter and it was running right, but as I don't want so many cables around I've cut them. I've connected brown and orange together, just like the original 20pin connector had, and also green and black together for power on. There is also another grey cable, PG (Power good) that I've left unconnected.

Well, the Psu starts (I've got nothing connected), but stops (the fan) after a few spinnings.

Shouldn't it work even with no load, just like it was with Ian's adaptor? Or it won't stay on if I don't connect some resistor to the 5v or 3v line?

Maybe you have something connected to something it shouldnt.
Spinning for a second normally means its gone into protection mode due to a short.

You shouldnt need to connect anything to it. It should still run with no devices connected.
Old 01 March 2013, 13:28   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Maybe you have something connected to something it shouldnt.
Spinning for a second normally means its gone into protection mode due to a short.

You shouldnt need to connect anything to it. It should still run with no devices connected.
Thanks. Can't be a short. I'm trying now with the Amiga psu cable disconnected, and all the cables disconnected.
No cables connected and the fan doesn't spin (normal);
Just green to black and it spins and stops.
Orange to brown and green to black and it's the same, spins and stops.
Old 01 March 2013, 13:59   #5
roy bates

try it again with steadys adaptor,it could be a softstart supply.

also there should be a wire on the atx that permanantly outputs 5 volts for switching it on,you could check its actually outputting this with a meter.
Old 01 March 2013, 14:16   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
try it again with steadys adaptor,it could be a softstart supply..
I can't use it again; all the cables are cutted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
also there should be a wire on the atx that permanantly outputs 5 volts for switching it on,you could check its actually outputting this with a meter.
You are true. There is a purple cable with 5 volts even when the fan stops spinning and all the rest are showing 0v. What can I do?
Old 01 March 2013, 14:24   #7
Loedown

Maybe you missed it the first time, put some sort of load onto it and it should start and stay on, you have already insisted that it isn't shorted and it may just be that without a load it isn't starting. Both FOL and I are not stupid and if you're really not sure why the hell are you risking your lovely expensive hardware with a half-arsed hack?
Old 01 March 2013, 14:33   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
... why the hell are you risking your lovely expensive hardware with a half-arsed hack?
Perhaps I should remind you that it isn't connected to any amiga (yet), so I don't see that risk. Anyway, that's why I ask here.

So then it will need to run some resistors connected to 5v (red)?
Old 01 March 2013, 14:41   #9
Loedown

Quote:
Perhaps I should remind you that it isn't connected to any amiga (yet), so I don't see that risk.

So then it will need to run some resistors connected to 5v (red)?
http://brazenartifice.wordpress.com/...2v-regulation/

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/every...-load-run.html

I should remind you that I get really tired of repeating myself and I get even more irritated by people who refuse to listen.
Old 01 March 2013, 15:34   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
I should remind you that I get really tired of repeating myself
So you just have to answer no to my first question:

Quote:
I ask if I need in this PSU some load, you say to connect a floppy drive, FOL says:
Quote:
So exactly the contrary that you say, so I don't understand you either when you think you are saying the same that him
And you say:
Quote:
... and I get even more irritated by people who refuse to listen.
so who isn't listening?

And now to the point. This isn't my first ATX Psu. I've got 5, and all of them can run without any load on them, even the Amigakit PSU doesn't have a load for what I see.
Yes, I've put in them the load on 3.3v or 5v to stabilize the voltages, as Rkauer told time ago, just as LIKE your first link says "5v load ressistor for better 12v regulation". It doesn't say it's necessary for it to run. Only your second link says so.

And I would preffer an answer of FOL, roy bates or any other not so "tired", please.
Old 01 March 2013, 16:08   #11
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Ooooh! A handbag fight
Old 01 March 2013, 16:14   #12
demolition
Unregistered User

I've seen a few PSUs that won't work without a load (e.g. the one I'm using for my Amigas) and some that does work, so unless someone has exactly the same PSU as you, we can't tell you for sure.

To turn on an ATX supply you need to short the green wire to a black (PS_ON to COM/GND).
Old 01 March 2013, 17:54   #13
k4lmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I've seen a few PSUs that won't work without a load (e.g. the one I'm using for my Amigas) and some that does work, so unless someone has exactly the same PSU as you, we can't tell you for sure.

To turn on an ATX supply you need to short the green wire to a black (PS_ON to COM/GND).
Yeah, what he said, this is a 'power on' from the motherboard, and the PSU won't work without the green going to ground.
Old 01 March 2013, 20:29   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I have'nt come across any that dont work without load.
So I cant answer on this one, I just know that if something is short it will do exatly what you describe.

I would go with loedowns explaination, if your sure its not a short.
Have had the board out to remove wires or did you just cut them?
If you have lift it again and double check.
Old 01 March 2013, 21:02   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I have'nt come across any that dont work without load.
I think it is a minority as well. I looked at my Amiga modified PC PSU (an old one that is) with an oscilloscope and it only gives small pulses at 1-2 Hz on the 5V output and most of the time 0V, so there's clearly some kind of 'sensing' going on that stops it from running without a load.
Old 01 March 2013, 22:39   #16
zharn

Just by coincidence i retried my atx power supply last night. Ive tried three now and all did the same thing, works for 1 sec with amiga connected then powers down.

Turned out all i had to do was connect the amiga 5v to all the red 5v on the mobo connector and now the power supply will stay on. Used it for a couple of hours no problems.
Old 01 March 2013, 23:03   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I wonder then how is that Ian's adapter can run all kind of atx psu's without any load, any big resistance on it. Perhaps killing that "sensing" pulse?.
And all the wires, Fol, were taked off just turning them around some times, as they are thin (not a good thing), but there's nothing left making a short.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 March 2013 at 23:11.
Old 02 March 2013, 00:06   #18
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharn View Post
Just by coincidence i retried my atx power supply last night. Ive tried three now and all did the same thing, works for 1 sec with amiga connected then powers down.

Turned out all i had to do was connect the amiga 5v to all the red 5v on the mobo connector and now the power supply will stay on. Used it for a couple of hours no problems.
Well would you look at that, someone applies some load to their PSU and it works.
Old 02 March 2013, 00:10   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks Loedown and excuse if I seem rude. That's the idea I had from the beginning, so I will try with some resistors when I can get them.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 March 2013 at 00:34.
Old 02 March 2013, 00:26   #20
zharn

Ive tried adding resistors on 5v when only needing 12v rails and made no difference, power supply still shutdown, i was pulling over 200w on 12v and 0w on 5v. To fix it i used another supply and changed way i was switching the 12v on and off to be a bit smoother.

Back to amiga...
I have to pull this supply apart, but i suspect there are multiple 5v rails and connecting all of them together is why its now working. Before i only had 2x 5v wires connected now i have 4.

I too looked at ian adaptor and schematics (looking for a load) and saw all the mobo connector 5v pins connected together.